Chroming of Front Water Pipes

gary

photo.jpgHi there cheap way of adding bit of bling to your MT 07, the front 2 grey pipes that run down to the rear brake pedal,which by a mishap i had with T-CUT,I found are chrome underneath, when wiping spilled T-CUT of the pipes it removed the very thin coat of paint what was on them, so i thought to myself whoops i have dropped one here, but carried on rubbing the pipes to reveal nice chrome pipes, no stripping of the pipes just a lot of elbow grease, finished of with a polish with Solvol Autosol, probaly not to everybodys taste but i think they look alot better proper modification & free.

Last edited:

Torque

Gary, did you drain the cooling system and remove the pipes before removing all the paint?

After only about a 100 miles on salty roads (but with a cold water wash after each ride) my water pipes look like this. Everything else on the bike is fine, so I'm seriously considering doing the same as you did or even getting them powder coated.

IMG_0348.jpg

sdrio

Those things for some reason are an absolute salt magnet. Must be that they collect a lot of spray, then bake it on.

Whenever I wash mine, those things always look clean till they dry, when big splats and streaks appear on them.

I just keep them well plastered with ACF50 now, I'll clean them up in the spring.

Torque

Those things for some reason are an absolute salt magnet. Must be that they collect a lot of spray, then bake it on.

Whenever I wash mine, those things always look clean till they dry, when big splats and streaks appear on them.

I just keep them well plastered with ACF50 now, I'll clean them up in the spring.
I think it's because painting over chrome isn't exactly a good idea (the paint doesn't take very well because chrome presents a very slippery surface). Why the 'boffins' at Yamaha decided to do this is beyond me, why not just anodise or powder coat these pipes like other components?

sdrio, I presume your streaks and splats look similar to mine in the photo. How do you intend cleaning them in Spring?

sdrio

I think it's because painting over chrome isn't exactly a good idea (the paint doesn't take very well because chrome presents a very slippery surface). Why the 'boffins' at Yamaha decided to do this is beyond me, why not just anodise or powder coat these pipes like other components?

sdrio, I presume your streaks and splats look similar to mine in the photo. How do you intend cleaning them in Spring?
Depends on whether it's just dried on salt, in which case hot water and soap, or corrosion - not much I can do about that, except get them painted I suppose.

They should be OK, I've used anti corrosion gunk since it was new. At the moment I'm not washing it very regularly, it's been covered in ACF, and it's actually better to leave it like that - all the shit from the road should just sit on top of it.

Torque

Referring to my post above showing the pipes. This has in fact NOT been caused by road salt but by SDoc100. I've proved this because the other day I looked at them before and after applying the SDoc100 for 5 minutes before washing off. Guess what, they're even worse now :mad: I'm posting a warning not to use this product on your MT-07, the blame is not entirely due to the cleaner but also due to the low quality finish of some of the parts on the MT-07, notably these pipes amongst others.

spencer

I managed to get the water pipes replaced under warranty. Happy days :D
Mine are being done too :) I am going to ask if I can have the old ones back so I can have them powder coated, because I know the new ones are going to go the same way as the old ones. the thing is they never even primed them just painted straight onto the chrome. everyone should go and get them replaced then Yamaha will have to sort this problem properly.

Torque

Mine are the same, what did you say to the dealer to get them replaced under warranty (if it is caused by SDoc?)
I first mentioned it to the dealer before I realised it was the SDoc, so I er... *cough* er... just said I thought it was unacceptable that the pipes were discoloured after only 100 miles on the road ;) The rest of the bike was/still is immaculate.