Chain tension?

sdrio

The front sprocket looks more worn than the rear. It may be that the previous owner replaced only the back one at some point, which would mess everything up - the three components wear together, so effectively only replacing one sprocket means the chain is having to deal with two different teeth sizes, and would wear both, and itself much quicker.

Replacing all of them should avoid that problem.

I recommend you keep it regularly cleaned, lubed and adjusted though. I used to do 40,000 miles a year despatch riding, and found a well looked after chain will last 3 x as long as a neglected one.

bobh

The 660 single in the MT-03 does whine in 5th gear, but an over-tightened chain can also cause a whining noise. It should have 40-50mm slack with the bike on the side stand (page 6-23 if you've downloaded the Owner's Manual).

Jasper-03

The front sprocket looks more worn than the rear. It may be that the previous owner replaced only the back one at some point, which would mess everything up - the three components wear together, so effectively only replacing one sprocket means the chain is having to deal with two different teeth sizes, and would wear both, and itself much quicker.

Replacing all of them should avoid that problem.

I recommend you keep it regularly cleaned, lubed and adjusted though. I used to do 40,000 miles a year despatch riding, and found a well looked after chain will last 3 x as long as a neglected one.
Thats exactly the reason why i bought the whole set instead of just the chain. You never know what the previous owner might have replaced or not. I bought a whole bunch of chainlube so i'll be taking care of this chain like its my baby from now on :)

The whine is just typical of the CP2 engine really. The cross cut gears make the sound.
That might explain it, i'm getting a little paranoid since the chain jumped off my sprocket, i guess every bike makes certain noises. Thanks for confirming!

The 660 single in the MT-03 does whine in 5th gear, but an over-tightened chain can also cause a whining noise. It should have 40-50mm slack with the bike on the side stand (page 6-23 if you've downloaded the Owner's Manual).
On my previous chain i did have 40-50 mm slack but after i've done that the chain jumped off the sprocket. So im a little causcious to put it that loose. I have it around 35-40 now, not tight at all, but not too loose either.