Chain adjustment

AJ Nin

If you haven't adjusted your chain yet, here is a little info that might help if you are new to adjusting chains. Let's assume the chain is loose. You can start loosening the axle nut a little while on the side stand so you don't have to apply so much force while the bike is on the rear stand. Next put it on the rear stand. Loosen the axle nut so you can unscrew it with your fingers but don't remove it. That's loose enough. Loosen the set screws on both sides. Tighten the adjusting screws on both sides a little. As you do this more lines will appear and the chain will tighten. Try a little at a time on both sides until tension measures right. Here is where I like to put a small screwdriver into the valley of a sprocket and wind the screwdriver up in the chain and sprocket to keep the wheel centered and tight. Tighten the axle nut, but don't torque it. Remove screwdriver and recheck tension and that equal no. of lines are visible on both sides. If so, torque it down. Things can go wrong though. For one, as you tighten the axle nut, the right side may loosen (fewer lines showing on right than on left). The chain is no longer straight or in specs. To remedy this, you can tighten the right side adjusting nuts slightly more than the left side...say you are aiming for 4.5 lines showing on both sides. Tighten the right side so 5 lines show, then tighten the axle nut. The extra half line on the right will disappear and the chain should be even and in specs.

Last edited:

blueglue

Im going to attempt this at the weekend as mine seemes to have slackened a little bit. (1800 miles)
As above these instructions are in the owners manaul and seems straight forward enough with the markings for alignment (well the pictures make it look simple anyway).

too much clickety clack riding it :eek:

AJ Nin

It looks easy...but getting the right tension with the chain straight (ie equal marks showing on each side) isn't that easy because as you re-tighten the axle nut....things move and it is a little hard to read just where the marks meet the side plates on this bike. You'll see. I am embarrassed to admit it and I will say I am a bit obsessive about chain tension, but I spent almost 3 hours getting it just right...tightening, loosening, retightening...dang now the tension is right, but it's not straight...now the marks are equal, but it's too tight...etc. My first indication it might be an issue is when I got the bike from the dealer and the chain was a little loose, definitely out of specs, and was not quite straight, with 4.5 marks showing on one side, and 5 on the other. I have found this to be very common though, and I can't say it is peculiar to this bike. I have always had a time with bike chains. My Honda Grom was just as bad, but it had a cheap chain so I had to adjust it often. At least when you get this good o-ring chain adjusted properly on your 07, it should stay in specs for a very long time. My chain is now perfect.

Last edited:

Feliz

I usually ignore the marks and use two 6' aluminum straight edges alongside the tires too ensure wheel alighnment is correct..My bike was delivered with the chain tensioned correctly and so far it hasn't chainged. My alighnment was also correct as delivered but the marks were out by a half on one side.

AJ Nin

Provided the metal straightedge is straight, that works well. I haven't found the marks to be off on any of my bikes but I hear they can be. The other simple thing to do is get behind the bike, close one eye, and eyeball the top of the chain. You can see if it is straight or not. I usually need a strong flashlight to see it properly.