Carbon Akra (S-Y7R2-AFC)

Irksome

Just been looking to order one of these when I spotted that on the Akra website + other sites, the Carbon one is listed as non-approved ... anyone know anything further?

Bad Request

Last edited:

Nuggets

My guess is type approval, if you compare it to the titanium on their web page that has EC, EPA & ECE approval (EC type approval with use of optional catalytic converter), the carbon has non of these (yet).

From conversation with insurer today a Non OE exhaust still has to be road legal for cover, in the UK this will mean it has to have EC-Type approval and be etched or stamped. I bet the carbon hasn't been type approved yet so essentially it's sold as a non-street legal exhaust (as far as insurance and plod and some sandal wearing swivel eyed lentil muncher in Brussels is concerned) .

Obviously they cater for an international market so less regulated countries (Afghanistan? Iraq? Jersey? Parts of Wales?) it's not a consideration, that's buried away in the small print in their site. I only know this as my Yamaha dealer didn't give me a convincing answer rewarding the catalytic converter and my ackropovic so I went looking for myself. Here's the EC certificate for the titanium as an example, good luck getting this filled in by any mechanic.

http://az79640.vo.msecnd.net/akrapovicbppmultimedia/6d702d616a824ea6b0700feb20e4822d.pdf

Irksome

Just got a reply from the UK importers!

The Carbon sleeve aftermarket system, S-Y7R2-AFC, is a Race system.
There is no catalytic converter in the system so therefore it will be marked as a Race silencer and not Road legal( ‘cat’ is needed for emission test).
Which REALLY annoys me ... so who else is doing a Carbon exhaust?

da1kini

Just got a reply from the UK importers!

Which REALLY annoys me ... so who else is doing a Carbon exhaust?

wait to next season and you will see a lot more pipes for this bike. For now akrapovic wanna sell their pipe made for this bike which is a no brainer due to the fact that they have a deal with yamaha to sell them. The MT07 is a very cheap bike and they need to get revenue from after market parts...

jateureka

Someone has fitted it with a catalytic converter, just like they did with the MT-09. I don't think it is the same catalytic converter as used with the titanium though as the diameters of the slip-on section seem to be different in that the titanium looks larger as it connects right behind the O2 sensor, where it opens out. The carbon slip-on section has a loop of pipe between it and the O2 sensor and seems to have a smaller diameter at the slip-on end.. The only way to confirm this is if someone actually measures the diameters and posts the results up here.

Here is a video of the MT-07 with Akarapovic Carbon and catalytic converter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIuzHkrXGGo

Last edited:

Thsam

I love the Akrapovis Carbon solution ! So i was just thinking of getting that and then keeping the original.

So when ever i need the manditory check, i'll just change back to the original system.. Problem solved ?

Irksome

It wouldn't work if you are stopped at the roadside ... over here that would most likely get you a prohibition notice.

Eddieh93

The carbon one must be approved because my dealer offered to sell me the carbon on instead of the titanium ones.

def

The carbon one must be approved because my dealer offered to sell me the carbon on instead of the titanium ones.
as long as ur country have restrictions, i cant guarantee u that u will not be in the legal zoone. i have the akra carbon fitted and it is loud as F!"#¤, driving around in town ull get headache, but outside of town its great if u dont care about other ppl :)
i will fit a universal db killer, planning och cutting off the orginal db killer inside the muffler and weld the universal one to it. and then cut of pice by pice if it gets to low untill im satisfied. not sure about the english word but this is the one i got: Ljuddämparinsats universal hos Lelles MC

Nuggets

My dealer offered to take the baffle out of my Akra Titanium when they fitted it but that would have meant I wasn't road legal as it's not approved for use with the dB killer taken out, which they knew and they told me this.

The dealer isn't responsible for making sure you comply with the law you are. You would be expected to take reasonable steps to establish if the exhaust offered is legal or not (i.e by asking!)

Gee

Where does it say it is not road legal to remove the baffle?

My dealer suggested to have mine removed before I picked it up.

da1kini

My dealer offered to take the baffle out of my Akra Titanium when they fitted it but that would have meant I wasn't road legal as it's not approved for use with the dB killer taken out, which they knew and they told me this.

The dealer isn't responsible for making sure you comply with the law you are. You would be expected to take reasonable steps to establish if the exhaust offered is legal or not (i.e by asking!)
It does not say it is not road legal with DB-killer out but without Catalytic Converter it is. (from : Akrapovi)

"This is a non Yamaha branded product, fully developed and produced by Akrapovič for closed circuit use only, unless fitted with the optional Akrapovič Catalytic Converter. When not fitted with the optional Catalytic Converter this exhaust system is excluded from Yamaha warranty terms and conditions."

Gee

Not in the UK mate. CAT not needed until the EU bureaucrats make us.

Akra with DB out and no CAT is road legal in the UK as long as it passes noise emissions (controlled by your right wrist) :D

My dealer will honour the warranty as they fitted it with no CAT.....they confirmed that it is still not mandatory to have one over here....yet.

Nuggets

Where does it say it is not road legal to remove the baffle?

My dealer suggested to have mine removed before I picked it up.

In the EU, the type approval certificate for the titanium is with the baffle in, therefore with baffle out it doesn't meet the requirements for it's type approval and it's not road legal (it's a boring technical point that only Plod or Insurers will pick up when in the process of screwing you over for something).

You can download the type approval cert. for the titanium exhaust from the website.

There is no type approval certificate for the carbon version that I can find and it's not advertised as CE marked, which is why my understanding is that it's not road legal and why EddieH92 should definitely ask the dealer if it's actually road legal, not knowing is no defence and just because the dealer offers to sell it doesn't mean they are warranting it's road legal.

In reality as Gee rightly points out your right wrist controls noise emissions around the rozzers and old ladies so in reality it shouldn't be a problem if you are sensible.

As a side note, I don't have a CAT in my exhaust either, it's not mandatory and not looked for at MOT and the dealer warrants it.

def

how can u guys say this system is legal? it is loud as fuck...... i just rebuilded my db-killer and put on a noice reducer on it and now its accually on a nice level. its not loud or to low during normal riding but when i accelerate its pretty loud, not to loud just enought for ppl around me to rly notice someone is there. and now i can drive around in town without earpluggs.

Gee

how can u guys say this system is legal? it is loud as fuck.
A kitchen knife is legal until someone does something stupid with it.

If i'm reading your post right Def, you are saying that the system with the DBK in is too loud as standard so you have added extra silencing?

If that's the case you must have super sensitive hearing as im sure most people wouldn't agree to that extent. :)

Take the DBK out on the other hand and yes, it will scare unborn babies and is too loud in my opinion.

def

A kitchen knife is legal until someone does something stupid with it.

If i'm reading your post right Def, you are saying that the system with the DBK in is too loud as standard so you have added extra silencing?

If that's the case you must have super sensitive hearing as im sure most people wouldn't agree to that extent. :)

Take the DBK out on the other hand and yes, it will scare unborn babies and is too loud in my opinion.
yes thats right, i added an extra silenceing part. i have not even tried the system without the db killer out and i dont want do.... driving in town where u have the buildings that can bounce back the sound, this system is horrible, cant even hear my own thoughts. country roads is another thing. ofc i can put in the earpluggs and not be bothered anymore. but ill guarantee, if the police hear my bike they will give me a fine and i have to do an MOT. and the MOT will not be ok with the acra system for sure.
i cant measure the decibel but the acra is way way over 103db wich is the legal limit in sweden. cat is not needed by law in sweden they only measure the sound.

FrostHazer

I have passed by cops several times with akra carbon without db killer. no problem at least in my country. Also dont worry about the emmisions its a new bike you have at least 2 years (that depends on each country's law i guess) before you'll be asked to be checked for emmisions.