Anyone got any recommendations for waterproofs?

sdrio

Going to go to Infinity this weekend for a complete set of new gear.

I've sort of settled on Rukka Granite for the jacket and trousers, Alpinestars monofuse boots, and Rukka mars gloves. All of these are Gore-tex.

Wife has said I can spend about £500 for everything, so my budget is around £1,000.

Anyone have any better suggestions / comments?

sdrio

Heh funnily enough I'm planning to do the same thing... although its cheaper just to not ride in the wet :p
I'd agree, but I commute on mine, and I can't stand public transport. I reckon I save probably 10 hours a week in travel by using the bike.

My current gear is getting pretty ancient, and is not even trying to keep water out now. The Rukka stuff has a 5 year guarantee, so assuming it lasts that long, it's not that much money.

It'll be nice to look out of the window in the morning, see it's wet and not have to go 'Oh well, better take a complete change of clothes with me'.

Donut

Not all wp gear are really that wp. Many tests here: Kit reviews search for tests all-weather

My wife use Richa Cold Protect GTX gloves:
TESTED: Sub-£100 All-weather gloves - Product features - Visordown

I use Richa Spirit pant + jacket, very waterproof except outside front pockets. Search test vid on YouTube. Comes in 3 diff colours, reg or tall sizes.

I just wait until Aldi or Lidl have some bike gear in and buy their cheap waterproofs - but then again I don't often ride in the rain or commute so couldn't testify to their longevity but they're fine so far.

bypasser

I just get cheap plastic waterproofs from Amazon or the like for about £20 and put them on over my everyday riding gear if I think it will rain. My experience with the proper waterproof bike gear is that it stops being so waterproof after a couple of years so a lot of money wasted.
Imagine I can buy better with research but what I do now works well for me. Their small enough to pack easily and aren't overkill in the summer. I commute year round, 5 days a week, and I've had the same cheap ones for about 2 years now!
I don't do any motorway riding, all in city, so that might make a difference to choice

sdrio

I've tried the cheapo nylon jacket over the top route, but results vary. My trip is about 45 mins each way, and I've never got past about 20 mins without something leaking.

Was hoping to get something a bit more guaranteed to work, although I'll probably still use something over it when it's really raining hard.

I'll be 50 next year . . . I'm still a bit of a hooligan on the bike, but I'm getting to the age where I prefer to do my wheelies with a dry crotch. :D

gregjet

Olympia adventure suits are pretty dammed good. Did our big trip to Phillip Island last year . Torrential rain and 1degreeC on the way down, 44deg C and dry on the way back. Comfortable?...no. Unpleasantly uncomfortable?...body no, only my hands as I had summer gloves. The suit with vent zippers and comes with internal wet and cold liners. Good price if you shop around.

sdrio

Both look good, but neither the Aerostich or Olympia gear seem to be sold in the UK. Not sure I want to import something then have to send it away for 6 weeks if there's a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Lausie_d

I bought a Hein Gericke wp textile suit in Feb this year. The jacket is pretty good, especially the double zip feature, but the trousers are useless - I'd be less damp wearing a bikini in a swimming pool! Not impressed one bit!

Bought a pair of wp overtrousers from Decathlon and will pop those over the top of my leathers going forward.

sdrio

Got soaked again this morning, so skived off early and went to infinity in Clapham.

Bought Rukka Gortex jacket and trousers, Rukka Goretex gloves and a pair of Daytona Goretex boots.

I'm hoping they are an improvement on the crappy 4 year old RST kit I had. Couldn't be much worse, anyway.

Will report back after the next wet journey!

sdrio

I bought a Hein Gericke wp textile suit in Feb this year. The jacket is pretty good, especially the double zip feature, but the trousers are useless - I'd be less damp wearing a bikini in a swimming pool! Not impressed one bit!

Bought a pair of wp overtrousers from Decathlon and will pop those over the top of my leathers going forward.
That must be really disappointing. I remember my old gear starting to leak only a few months after I bought it, and being really gutted about it.

That's why I've bitten the bullet this time and gone for the expensive stuff. The Rukka gear is highly recommended, and it has a good long guarantee so hopefully it will last a few years.

sdrio

OK, well it rained this morning on the way in.

I, um, didn't get wet.

This wasn't a very surprising or even very interesting post, was it? Sorry.

dazzor

Got soaked again this morning, so skived off early and went to infinity in Clapham.

Bought Rukka Gortex jacket and trousers, Rukka Goretex gloves and a pair of Daytona Goretex boots.

I'm hoping they are an improvement on the crappy 4 year old RST kit I had. Couldn't be much worse, anyway.

Will report back after the next wet journey!
I've not been riding as long as you I suspect (26 years, full licence 20) and I've had lots of different gear and like you, it's all leaked....in the end.

Never stumped up the folding for Rukka beyond a pair of gloves....Would be interested to hear how get on with the jakcet and trousers.

I've been using Daytona boots for well over 10 years, pair before last lasted me 9 years! I ride all year (Herts to London commute, 8-9000 miles a year) Now I have Daytona Road Star GTX; Utterly superb boots. Had them about a year, zero water ingress, very comfortable off the bat, nice feel/feedback and warm...bit too warm in summer but you can't have it all.

Back to water proofing.....I've basically done what Passerby suggests for many years.......get the gear you like / can afford and stick oversuits on when it rains. My only dilemma has been whether a one or two piece affair is the way to go. Currently using a separate jacket and trousers as my one-piece before that was a faff to put on.

Now I'm being tempted by Held's Monsun one-piece suit.

FYI: I wear Wolf titanium gear, top and bottom. Jacket's tends to hold up in the wet when worn alone, the trousers however.......you guessed, leak around the fishing tackle area.