Akra Question

Raindog

Howdy folks,

Strongly considering picking up an 07 for commuting and just general kicking around town. Made the mistake of watching a video with the akrapovic attached the other day and I really dig the sound, besides, I don't have a twin in the garage.

That said, seems there is some talk of problems exhibited when a converter is not fitted. I imagine these are fueling issues but haven't found any actual data to confirm it. Is there some consensus?

Cheers,
Mike

cosmikdebriis

Short answer would have to be. I don't know but...

Your question did make me wonder if emissions regulations varied from country to country and therefore the engine tuning might vary accordingly. Meaning perhaps only someone with a bike from the same country could really answer your question?

Not much in the way of help but perhaps some cautionary advice.

Gaz2212

Raindog

I have an akrapovic fitted, I did remove the baffle but fitted the cat. For me the sound is awesome, the reason I fitted the cat is eu warranty says not legal without cat fitted and also yamaha say it affects the warranty on the bike

Secondly when I informed insurance of the change they asked if the exhaust was street legal which only is in the uk with the cat fitted

Regarding running of the bike I think personally it runs loads better, revs quicker and far more responsive also the mid range torque has definately increased

Can't comment with no cat fitted as I have not run without it

McCracken

Sounds great Gaz !

I wonder if the bike will run just as good with no cat but DB killer combo as with CAT in but no DB killer. I guess its all about how much backpressure the exhaust provides.

P

Peter

I've had the call from my dealer that my Akra just arrived. I'll pick it up Friday. I plan to fit it by myself.
Ordered with cat to remain street legal.

timo

Just fitted mine on friday about an hour. No cat dealer said we dont need them in this country. He told me yamaha have to advertise cat for some eu countries all very confusing.

Gaz2212

Timo

I would double check if I was you, when I informed insurance of change of exhaust they asked if it was street legal system, according to yamaha and akrapovic website not street legal without cat fitted. Also yamaha uk website says warranty will be affected if no cat fitted, so why put this on their own website if not the case

For £80 or so is it really worth the hassle with insurance companies or yamaha possibly in the future

Darren

Just fitted mine on friday about an hour. No cat dealer said we dont need them in this country. He told me yamaha have to advertise cat for some eu countries all very confusing.

Hi Timo, My dealer said exactly the same thing about the cat. Are you happy with the sound? are you running it with baffle in or out? Can you upload some sound clips with baffle in and out as I am very tempted myself to go for the Akra.

Cheers........Darren

timo

Hi Darren

Running with baffle in very happy with sound. Somebody has put video on site with sound. I am going to look into this cat thing people are saying different things.

McCracken

I heard the akra with baffle in and no cat. One word : Awesome.

Not to loud, but still a powerfull growl when giving it some jouice and plenty loud to make notice of the bike.

Im sure i would not run in without baffle, it would be way to loud and for sure annoy people around the bike.

P

Peter

My Akra with cat option is in my hand now. Unfortunately I won't have time to install it in the next couple of days.

The very first impression is: it is very light. Unbelievable light.

im starting to wonder if i should cancel my order with carpi moto and ask for a refund as its been two months and i see these exhausts available in uk now.

Sudgolf

Hi Darren

Running with baffle in very happy with sound. Somebody has put video on site with sound. I am going to look into this cat thing people are saying different things.
Hi Timo.

You say you're running your Akra with the Baffle in? How much louder is it than the stock exhaust? Im looking at getting the Akra but want to keep the baffle in due to noise issues where my bike is kept (in the garage under my nieces bedroom who is 3...)

Sivvo73

Hi Timo.

You say you're running your Akra with the Baffle in? How much louder is it than the stock exhaust? Im looking at getting the Akra but want to keep the baffle in due to noise issues where my bike is kept (in the garage under my nieces bedroom who is 3...)
I took the baffle out , ran it for a few days and had to concede to the noise... It's ridiculously loud without the baffle in. I do t have the cat fitted but I thought with the baffle in , although the note is perfect the volume could be a bit louder for me.... What I found perfect was a modified baffle - hits the spot, right in the middle louder than baffle in quieter than god mode baffle out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk