Aerodynamic "Flat Plate Area" up to 100 mph

William

Someone in aerodynamics told me the wind resistance should be
fine up to 100 mph on the MT-07 because the bike will be in the "Flat Plate Area".
That makes sense to me because when I had my 1977 Yamaha
RD 400, I could take it up to 100 mph without a problem. If
this is indeed true, I see no reason for me not to get a MT-07
because I don't want to go over 100 mph.

shadowmonkey

I always say that I don't want to go that fast but it happens a lot more then I would like. [emoji33][emoji41]
It's like saying that you will always stick to the speed limit, at some time or other, or more so, that rule gets broken (in the right places of course). [emoji83]

menzic

Up to 100 is fine (blah blah closed roads blah blah). I don't go over this and to be honest normally a good way below on the twisties which is mainly where I ride. The downside is long journeys on dual carriageways or motorways, here much above 70 can become tedious and a mini-screen of some sort would help I'm sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

William

I always say that I don't want to go that fast but it happens a lot more then I would like. [emoji33][emoji41]
It's like saying that you will always stick to the speed limit, at some time or other, or more so, that rule gets broken (in the right places of course). [emoji83]
What are the penalties in England for speeding? Where I live in Canada, if you get caught going 50 kph over the limit they call it
"stunt driving/speed racing. You could lose your motorcycle and car license for 2 years. Insurance will skyrocket!

nobull

What are the penalties in England for speeding? Where I live in Canada, if you get caught going 50 kph over the limit they call it
"stunt driving/speed racing. You could lose your motorcycle and car license for 2 years. Insurance will skyrocket!
A guy in Scotland made national press 2 years ago, from memory it was something like 130mph on empty straight road, and he got a lengthy jail (think it was 9 months) term despite no previous or points on his licence. Within the guideline limits, it depends on the judge/JPs. 2 or 3 years ban too. Get less for drink driving with no insurance, tax or MOT!

shadowmonkey

It all depends on the force and conditions (if stopped by police( speed camera is unbiased)). From the Derbyshire force I know that if you do a few mph over the speed limit (eg 40mph in a 30mph) it is possible to only get an educational course instead of points (about £95 (course can only be done every 3 years)). So if you have done the course and do it again it can be around 3 points and £60 fine (but again all depends). If you do however go 100 mph or above and caught at that speed it's more than likely that it's a ban, not sure how long for though.

We are allowed up to 12 points on licence after the 2 year probational, if before its only 6 points.

maddy51

mt07 motorway

I have covered 4500 miles and one trip to isle of mann on my mt07. I can say any long trips on motorway is not great on mt07. I am looking for a screen soon

rappetor

Long trips on the motorway with most (if not all) nakeds is not great. You will need a reasonably high screen for that (usually nakeds also have very low screens to keep the naked look, but again a tradeoff between form and function).

I have the MRA racing screen, pretty big but it works great. Sure wish I had that screen for my 4000km trip to Switzerland last year :)

Dmtm2005

Short Power bronze screen fitted , two hours on motorway from Nottingham to Liverpool for the TT and no problems with excess wind

Ralph

I too have a Power Bronze fitter a 380 mm one and don't have a problem on M-way better than
the much bigger screens on my last 3 bikes. also keeps the crap off the clocks and is a good place
to stuff your gloves when eating bacon baps.

Last edited: