10000km service and K&N air filter

Viking

So I serviced my mt today. I have made 10000 km and I had to decide between taking it to my dealer for a service or to do it by myself. I remember when I joined the forum and there was a thread about first service anders wrote some great pointers about oil change and he stated that he services his own bikes. At the time it did not make sense to me becouse I thought that if you don't take the bike to the dealer you will lose your guarantee and there was a thread with a stalling problem (sdrio had something to say about that :) )... So, for the first service I took my bike to the dealer and paid about a 100 euros for it. I never got the chance to watch while they work on my bike so I can't be sure if they used synth oil or if they replaced the filters or anything for that matter. After the service I found out that they are only licensed to service bikes that have 250ccm or less and that is when I decided not to take it to the dealer anymore.

Here is what I used for my 10000km service:
Shell advance 4t ultra 10w40 jaso ma2 full synth oil (3l 27 euros)
K&n kn-204 oil filter (13 euros)
Yamaha oil plug gasket (3 euros)
K&n air filter (70 euros)

I installed the air filter before I made the oil change to see if there is a difference and to write a review as it is not that cheap.
Installing a K&N air filter is very easy, it is a 30 minutes job. The bike sounds slightly better (deeper, more agresive like) after 5000rpm than with a stock filter but the performance is very noticeable! The engine becomes more alive in lower rpms, it accelerates better with less vibrations! All in all a good upgrade!

Here is what I noticed after the oil change. Even less vibrations, steadier rpms, no more first shift clank on a cold start and a noticeable difference in shifting (very, very smooth).

So that is that, I encourage everyone to do your service by yourself, if you are in doubt about using a K&N or a DNA air filter I would highly recommend that you do buy one and as for the oil, do what anders pointed out so many times, full synth jaso ma2...

Poslano sa mog LG-H500 koristeći Tapatalk

Last edited:

e4xit

Sounds good Viking, I might try it myself... Thanks for the write up.

P.s. How do you post off tapatalk? It says I need to solve the verification puzzle but then there is no puzzle to do...?

Noggie

Sounds good Viking, I might try it myself... Thanks for the write up.

P.s. How do you post off tapatalk? It says I need to solve the verification puzzle but then there is no puzzle to do...?
The puzzle request should go away after about 10 posts or so.
Guess it's to prove you are a real person.

sdrio

I've just done an oil and coolant change on mine, and also stripped down the clutch, which was giving me problems. After a lot of mucking about, it seems to be much better - whether that's the changed oil, or the clutch wasn't properly put together in the first place, I don't really know. The clanking and slipping seems to have been solved, for now at least.

K&N sounds interesting - I'm not a fan of loud exhausts at all, but something that gives the bike a little less of the sewing machine sound might be a good compromise.

Viking

I've just done an oil and coolant change on mine, and also stripped down the clutch, which was giving me problems. After a lot of mucking about, it seems to be much better - whether that's the changed oil, or the clutch wasn't properly put together in the first place, I don't really know. The clanking and slipping seems to have been solved, for now at least.

K&N sounds interesting - I'm not a fan of loud exhausts at all, but something that gives the bike a little less of the sewing machine sound might be a good compromise.
I live in an apartment building and commute to work with my bike so the loud roar in 5 in the morning is not an option for me. I don't really want to upset my neighbors... The air filter gives the bike just the perfect amount of the sound mode for me!

Poslano sa mog LG-H500 koristeći Tapatalk