speed is not your friend

jeppebm

wauw - i know it is sad - but is it just me thinking MAN he is going fast...? - sometimes you are allowed to think for yourself.

Sad he had to die like that!

xt660isgood2

That will be you right. I have driven a truck in the past. And pulled out of lanes "really slow and really long" and thought "if a bike/car comes round the corner at megga speed he's/she in trouble"
The old adage: when going around a blind corner just assume there is an elephant in the road

dazzor

So very sad.

But on a completely objective note; don't do silly speeds on public roads.....especially roads with turnings....97mph through a T junction?

dazzor

Just watched the full video; deeply moving.

Thank you for posting this. It's done it's job for me. I sometimes watch bike accidents on YouTube to remind myself of various dangers.

N1VEN

Definitely served its purpose for me too. Whilst I hope that I wouldn't be this reckless anyway, when the mood takes you it can be easy to drift above a sensible speed.

dazzor

Definitely served its purpose for me too. Whilst I hope that I wouldn't be this reckless anyway, when the mood takes you it can be easy to drift above a sensible speed.
Agreed. It's easy to get carried away.

I also think it's a numbers thing; by that I mean the more often one rides at silly speeds it stands to reason the higher the chances are of this sort of thing happening.

From the video it did seem to me like the now deceased chose to ride around quite a bit at high-speed....I might have misinterpreted that though.

Anyone wanting to realise the full potential of their bikes......save it for a track-day.

sdrio

I also think it's a numbers thing; by that I mean the more often one rides at silly speeds it stands to reason the higher the chances are of this sort of thing happening.

From the video it did seem to me like the now deceased chose to ride around quite a bit at high-speed....I might have misinterpreted that though.

Anyone wanting to realise the full potential of their bikes......save it for a track-day.
Can't agree with this more.

I hesitate to single groups out, as this applies to all of us, but inexperienced riders should pay particular attention - being at the right speed is part of the learning process, and not something you'll instinctively feel. Take it easy.

da1kini

Could not agree more. How ever in this case, how sad it is, but how easily it could have been avoided. 1st thing that comes to mind is awareness of you surroundings. If I am correctly it even says SLOW painted on the road prior the T junction? I mean it is easy to be carried away and most likely him riding for 20 years he must have noticed that in the past? In our country when taking a license it is a big deal with safety these days. For 30+ years ago you got your mc license with your car license and naturally theres a huge difference in how you act if you see 2 riders with those different license types. Not to say that experience doesn't count but is, according to me anyway, more important with knowledge. With all this said you can't be prepared for every thing that accurs on the road but a sense of what might happen makes you a better rider. Ride safe and take care.

xt660isgood2

It's still a big story here. And I've just watched the actual collision on utube. I know we are talking about a man loosing his life, but that has got to be the strongest bike safety thing I have ever seen.
"which is why his mother put it out"
Would agree with others that doing nearly a 100mph around junctions is madness. And I'm sure most of us are car and bikers, and every day we get cars turning across us and then slagging off the car. But in this case I actually have some sympathy for the car driver due to the speed. It's had over a million hits on the web, which is a good education to both car/bike users.
If you have not seen it, it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukA57DwcOJw WARNING: IT IS VERY VERY SHOCKING!! "which it is supposed to be"

Phil_B

A copy of a reply I put on someone's post of this on facebook:

As soon as you rely on trusting others for your safety, you are in a bad place - as you no longer have any control over the outcome. The only protection you have on a bike is "time" and "space". I guess the real reminder is not to get carried away or too caught up in going fast - as the consequenses are sickening. The fact that its a bike is secondary really; plenty of people kill themselves in cars despite how "safe" they are.

WESTGL

I have to say speed does kill, on a bike we are invisible to car drivers add speed and it magnifies the problem.

My Suzuki Vstrom,1000 was a fairly Fast bike.

I found myself using the power, and with as many deers, wild turkeys, that can get out in front of you not including the Cagers, as I have in my area, that is not a good mix.

I have slowed way down, to buy me more reaction time.

One time, I had a turn off that I was about to miss, so I grabbed a hand full of brake and pressed hard on the foot brake, rear-end of the bike slide around really fast,and was just about even with the front tire, i let off on the brakes and some how came out of that mess, without any gymnastics.

A couple close calls with deers, yes I have slowed way down, fun of riding goes away when you get hurt.

xt660isgood2

A couple close calls with deers, yes I have slowed way down, fun of riding goes away when you get hurt

Totally agree. I have fallen off bikes many times on the dirt and it really wasn't a big deal. In 2007 I was doing 25 mph on a mini moto of all things.
The back tyre gave up "from china" Broke my wrist, lost my job and was off work for a year! sorted now. And "bizarrely" the thing I still remember from that crazy "low speed" crash was the
bang of my head thro the lid hitting the road. Scarey. On a lighter note: as quoted by ambulance staff "if they have got full leathers on, at least all the bits are in one place!"
Hence I don't wear full leathers....let them work for a living lol