Insurance for new rider?

spoonflames

Any recommendations?

I'm over 30 and brand new rider. Insurance quotes for the MT-07 have not been great, i have only tried price comparison sites so far. does anyone know anyone reputable for new riders?

Thanks!

sdrio

I always go to the Meerkats for mine.

Seems to me that insurance has suddenly got cheaper. I know that doesn't help you, but I'm paying half what I was paying 3 years ago, and I have 3 points and no no claims due to a bike being stolen last year.

cosmikdebriis

Interesting things those comparison sites. They tend to ask you a particular set of questions, including all the normal ones about age, place you keep the vehicle, no claims etc but they don't all ask the same questions. For that matter the various companies that they represent often want or require information that some of the comparison sites don't ask. Net result is varying prices for from the comparison sites for policy's from the same company and sometimes you don't get the cover you expect.

I recently wanted van insurance for both my wife and I for business use. Entered all the correct details with me as main driver and chose the cheapest policy. Paid for it only to find the wife, as a named driver, wasn't covered for business use, only SD&P. Not at all what I was looking for. Of course you might think it was pretty obvious that when somebody took out a business use policy for two people on a van, they might both want to drive it for business use !

I feckin' hate insurance companies.

Nuggets

Spoonflames I've just gone 35 I passed in April, have 3 points, garage the bike and do 3000 miles a year I also live in the badlands of Cambridgeshire, Swinton insurance policy is £238 fully comp including legal cover. I think they also take car driving into account and I've been driving for 19 years with one non fault accident and full no claims which might have a bearing on the insurance, Try the MCN website that's how I found the Swinton policy, doesn't matter what price is online I recommend ringing them so you can tell them about the datatag and the Y.I.S.S and fill in the gaps as well as tell them they are too expensive! the comparison websites don't give the full info to the insurer as cosmike points out, you could also try Aviva and CiS too as they don't use comparison websites.

I hate using brokers I think they are slow and I've only ever had painful experiences with them, including incorrect paperwork, they even asked me for proof when I told one they were too expensive, called my bluff that time (I did find cheaper in the end!), bigger insurers don't seem to bother! Good luck!

S2VML

I got mine through principal insurance. I had a multi bike policy but my KTM was stolen and was settled fully by the insurers. I rang them up yesterday and they added my new bike to the policy. £115 for 7months left in the policy. They quoted £225for 12 months. Nice people to deal with. I also added excess protection for £30 which covers both bikes for excess up to £500. [emoji4]

Hobbsy

Same sort of details for me except I live on the Isle of Wight and have no points. My policy with Swinton is on my little 125 as I only passed my test last week, currently paying £15 a month, hoping that might go down when I tell them I now have a full licence. Will probably stick with them when I upgrade to an MT-07 in the new year, totally agree about the broker bit too, way better off going direct.

spoonflames

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I'm going to spend an hour of my life now doing quotes with these companies. It's an hour i'll never get back :D

sdrio

Also bear in mind that when you get to a certain level, you're hitting the point where it's simply not worth someone insuring you.

Anything under about say £150, when you take into account any brokers fees etc leaves a very small amount for the underwriter. At some point he's going to ask why he would bother . . .

spoonflames

Hey . Not having a great deal of luck with fully comp? TPF&T seems to be half the price, but i don't really want to risk going down that route in my first year of biking :(

Nuggets

Hey . Not having a great deal of luck with fully comp? TPF&T seems to be half the price, but i don't really want to risk going down that route in my first year of biking :(
It would be interesting to know how your profile compares to others vs premiums you are being quoted? Have you tried increasing your voluntary excess? Spoon fed the insurer the data tag and the YISS (I had to explain to Swinton). I figured I would have to do serious damage to the bike to make claim on my fully comp. ,A self nflcited drop or slide might break a pedal, scratch a fork .etc but I figured sliders help reduce the risk and stuff like tank panels are cheap to replace so I might as well jack up the voluntary so any claim is for a major cock up on my part (or someone else's!).

Jon

I was a new rider with no history. My Carole Nash quote was £257, and I am 55.