Yamaha LED Flashers Plus

Sharpe996

Thinking of purchasing the new Yamaha LED Flashers Plus with the additional position and brake lights.

Has anyone had any experience of these?
Any installation tips and how difficult are they to install?
I am thinking to install them with an Ermax Undertray / Tail Tidy. Any issues with this?

Last edited:

addy

I only installed the front for the running lights, rears are the standard yamaha led.

They are just as easy as the standard led's with one additional wire to connect using a tap connector, the instructions are pretty simple to follow. You wont have any issues with a tail tidy.

Noggie

Well.... Issues with tail tidy and the LED's no, but you may have an issue with the plate.
My ermax tail tidy was so narrow and my plate so wide that I could not use a plate frame without partly covering up the LED's.
My plate is 22cm across, and I had to drill and put screws in the plate rather than using a frame.

image.jpg

craigieboy

Yeah it doesn't really work well with the big license plates, especially if the indicators dont stick very far out. I run a smaller plate.

Sjokoz

Together with the original Yamaha tail tidy and a DK plate they work quite nicely. And I think they look great :)

For the front I had to cut a bit in the internal plastic to make them fit but no big issue. Though the area behind the headlight is a bit cramped.

On the Yamaha website it says: "It is not allowed to use the extra functionality, position light, in combination with the existing position light. Please consult your local Yamaha dealer.". Does anyone know what is meant by that? My local Yamaha dealer couldn't help me here.

Rear.jpgFront.jpg

Sharpe996

Guys. It is my understanding after talking to my dealer that strictly speaking it is against the law in the UK to connect up these indicators with both the running lights working together with the existing front and rear light and also working at the same time as the brake light.

This is a little strange to me but my dealer has fitted these indicators with the running lights connected together with the original lights as he is sure that you would not get into any trouble for this although it could be an MOT issue.
It is a little strange that Yamaha have released these lights when if you connect them to operate together with your existing lights then it is illegal, at least I think it is in the UK and the rest of Europe.
I am not sure what to do as I really like these lights, but are they worth the hassle?

Please give me your thoughts.
Many thanks

addy

Guys. It is my understanding after talking to my dealer that strictly speaking it is against the law in the UK to connect up these indicators with both the running lights working together with the existing front and rear light and also working at the same time as the brake light.

This is a little strange to me but my dealer has fitted these indicators with the running lights connected together with the original lights as he is sure that you would not get into any trouble for this although it could be an MOT issue.
It is a little strange that Yamaha have released these lights when if you connect them to operate together with your existing lights then it is illegal, at least I think it is in the UK and the rest of Europe.
I am not sure what to do as I really like these lights, but are they worth the hassle?

Please give me your thoughts.
Many thanks
I don't think you will have a problem, they are listed on the uk yamaha site and are ce certified.

I doubt Yamaha would be selling them if there was a legal issue, if they were from a 3rd party site and not an official accessory then I could believe it.

Sjokoz

If the Danish law on motorcycle lights is followed to the letter I assume these are illegal:

(In Danish)
"§ 26. En motorcykel skal være forsynet med lygter og refleksanordninger efter følgende regler:
[...]
2) En eller to fremadrettede, hvide positionslygter og en eller to bagudrettede, røde baglygter, der alle er tydeligt synlige i mindst 300 meters afstand uden at blænde."
[...]
4) En eller to bagudrettede, røde stoplygter med væsentlig større lysstyrke end baglygten."

Ref: https://www.retsinformation.dk/forms/r0710.aspx?id=49848

(Quickly translated)
"§ 26 A motorcycle must be equipped with lights and reflectors after the following rules:
[...]
2) One or two front-facing white running lights and one or two rear-facing red tail lights, all of which are clearly visible for at least 300 meters without dazzling."
[...]
4) One or two rear-facing red stop lamps that are significantly brighter than the tail lamp."

Using these indicators I right now have 3 front facing running lights and 3 red tail lights/stop lamps. So one to many. That being said I don't think I will ever get pulled over.

Noggie

I guess this is somewhat down to each countries law on the use of lights and combination of lights used simultaneously.

Some countries or states do not have a daylight running light requirement, but instead use marking lights i.e indicators etc, the US being one place this is common.

In Norway it is illegal for cars to use bumper mounted fog lights in combination with low beams, but if you use parking lights you can use the fog lights as daylight running lights. however at night (when streetlights are on) you are required to use low beams, thus making it illegal to use the fog lights.

the reason for this is so that you dont blind oncoming traffic with these lights that are not focused and has a wide spread of light.
Many late model cars have LED's in the bumper or as part of the headlamp as daylight running lights as part of a recent EU regulation, these either dim down significantly or switches off when the low beams are switched on.

Thus looking to Norwegian law, the front lights as in Sjokoz picture is legal, using the indicators as daylight running lights, and just the park light in the headlamp.
switching on the low beams would make the light combo illegal (in Norway).

I doubt you will have any issues at daytime running the "illegal" combo, but you may have some issues at night since the indicators dont have a focused patterns and may blind other motorists.

Last edited:

Sharpe996

Guys

I have been advised of the following from Yamaha UK:

You cannot have the running lights wired in and working whilst there is another standard light (front or rear) working at the same time. They stated that you would have to disconnect the standard light (front sidelight and taillight) to fit this accessory to meet legal standards. They did also advise it is at the customers discretion as to how they wire the lights up.

If they are not going to work together with the standard lights there is no point fitting them in my opinion. They are also expensive at £80 per pair.

So are they worth the hassle and how much risk is it to have them working together with the standard lights? Failed MOT? Fines or points on your license?

In my opinion there is little to no risk, they will give increased safety due to increased visibility and little risk of getting pulled. I will probably go for it and wire them up to work together with the standard lights.

Please share your opinions.

Last edited:

addy

Guys

You cannot have the running lights wired in and working whilst there is another standard light (front or rear) working at the same time. They stated that you would have to disconnect the standard light (front sidelight and taillight) to fit this accessory to meet legal standards. They did also advise it is at the customers discretion as to how they wire the lights up.

If they are not going to work together with the standard lights there is no point fitting them in my opinion. They are also expensive at £80 per pair.

So are they worth the hassle and how much risk is it to have them working together with the standard lights? Failed MOT? Fines or points on your license?

In my opinion there is little to no risk, they will give increased safety due to increased visibility and little risk of getting pulled. I will probably go for it and wire them up to work together with the standard lights.

To be honest if this is the case then they should inform you of this when you purchase them in the same way you are advised that a smoked helmet visor is not for road use.

You are not going to get fines or points for having additional running lights lol. From memory you also wire then into the standard running light using a tap connector anyway so if you're not supposed to use them both together then why is it done this way.

I don't even think you will have any problems with it come mot either.

sdrio

Guys

Unless I misread it, the law says you can't have too many lights on at once.

All those BMW riders with their large racks of lighthouse strength HID spotlamps can't be wrong, surely?