Where does the Tax Disc go?!

Mushymi5

This may seem very stupid, but i didnt have a standard holder with the bike, so got a waterproof carbon effect one off ebay for £4.

Where is this supposed to go on the bike?

Will145

+1 you may be able to see it in my avatar

ETA - actually I dont think my avatar can be enlarged so may be a bit small.

Anthony

Come October you will not have to display one any more. Motorbike owners rejoice!
But then the tax will be registered to you the owner, so if you sell the bike, even if you have tax left on the bike, the new owner will need to sort out there own tax, and you will need to apply for a refund.

P

Peter

What is the tax disk?
Is it a sticker to inform somebody that the vehicle tax is paid? OK, I have to pay tax but why the hell have to broadcast it?

Will145

Yep in the uk we have to display a paper disc! Come October that's changing so tax discs will no longer exist. In the uk, not paying vehicle tax means the police can seize your bike for no insurance!

Pablo_uk

Yep in the uk we have to display a paper disc! Come October that's changing so tax discs will no longer exist. In the uk, not paying vehicle tax means the police can seize your bike for no insurance!
For no tax you'll get a £100 fixed penalty ticket. If the tax is out of date by 2 months and one day, then the vehicle can be seized. If you have no insurance, then the vehicle can be seized for no insurance. Come October though, as mentioned it will all change.

allyw71

Come October you will not have to display one any more. Motorbike owners rejoice!
But then the tax will be registered to you the owner, so if you sell the bike, even if you have tax left on the bike, the new owner will need to sort out there own tax, and you will need to apply for a refund.
Another scheme to rob more cash from the hard pressed motorist, I wonder how much they will gain from the partial months they don't refund, or that are paid in full when taxing

Irksome

Bin it - for the last 20 years I've never displayed a valid tax disc - never had a problem even on the odd occasion i've been pulled over as I've always had a valid disc in my wallet. This bike happens to have a crappy holder fitted but I'm taking it off this w/e - no copper is going to give you a hard time about non-display now as long as you have a valid disc on the system.

Scoobie

Bin it - for the last 20 years I've never displayed a valid tax disc - never had a problem even on the odd occasion i've been pulled over as I've always had a valid disc in my wallet. This bike happens to have a crappy holder fitted but I'm taking it off this w/e - no copper is going to give you a hard time about non-display now as long as you have a valid disc on the system.
Except when you park up, it's an offence not to have a valid tax disc ON DISPLAY. A parking attendant can do you. But, come later this year, yep, it won't be a bother any more.

Irksome

With deregulated parking (most of the country now) regulations, no council attendant is going to be bothered about the tax disc - but you remind me I did once get a notice when parked (legally) on a red route. Just wrote back enclosing a picture of my tax disc and said the office (met police) was clearly blind ;-)

Nettshubby

You don't have to apply for the refund, it is sent to you automaticaly when you sell your bike and send in the relevant paperwork to inform DVLA of sale.