Used MT 07,should i get this bike ? Help needed

Alex88bg

Hi guys i am new to the forum and i will introduce myself a bit later.

I am new to biking and i think i have surely decided to buy MT 07/FZ 07 next to 2008 690 DUKE and i have a question about the offer i got.
I am 27 years old Male Height : 189 cm , Weight : 101 kg and i read most of the posts on this forum about this bike,so here goes the question :
I got the offer from a yamaha dealer about a MT 07 mechanic rides,and he is offering this bike for 6500 Euros 1 1/2 years old 8000 km on it ( NO ABS) ,mind you when on discount this bike costs 55 555 new so here is the catch .... It has loads of extras :

MT 07 Race Blue
Carbon Akrap - Heard it with DB Killer in,youtube cannot give it justice ,cant imagine taking it off ,because it scared me to death inside garage.
New wider bars + new awesome blue levers
Full led extras,tail and front for signalization original thin and sexy yamaha ones + extra 2 yamaha round bigger ones as addition to the headlight
Led Headlight (I think)
R1 brakes makeover + new Teflon / Kevlar hoses front and back
New Seat rider and pillion that matches the color of the bike
Front Screen PUIG transparent small to medium size idk
Lock for the front suspension
New original yamaha Tail tidy
+ all of the sliders you can possibly imagine ( wheels,footpegs,tank)
And i know it has some other things but cant remember it , the thing is the bike visually looks stacked i cant imagine what else could i add to it not to look ridiculous and everything is original Yamaha so it looks awesome especially the all led bike that looks immense !

I am too excited about it ,it just looks and sounds amazing and being a total newb its all that matters to me + the lightness of the bike !

What do you think about the price,it seems to be in pretty good condition since the guy didnt crash it once but i know he did ride it hard...Well thats what most bikers do anyway..

Thanks a lot fellas,
I hope i join this awesome community !!!

Last edited:

sdrio

It's really difficult to comment on price in another country, as you have to make a relative comparison to your local market. In Pounds, that's just under £5,000 - maybe a little rich for an 18 month old bike, but it's low mileage and has some bling, so if it was in the UK it'd probably be about right.

If it belonged to a mechanic, you'd assume he did the important stuff like servicing (should be 2 of them by now, I think). It's a tough engine, so having been ridden hard isn't necessarily a problem.

Size should be just about OK. I'm 183cm and just under 100kg, I don't have any problems with position, but the seat on these bikes is pretty hard for us 'heavier' riders.

Alex88bg

It's really difficult to comment on price in another country, as you have to make a relative comparison to your local market. In Pounds, that's just under £5,000 - maybe a little rich for an 18 month old bike, but it's low mileage and has some bling, so if it was in the UK it'd probably be about right.

If it belonged to a mechanic, you'd assume he did the important stuff like servicing (should be 2 of them by now, I think). It's a tough engine, so having been ridden hard isn't necessarily a problem.

Size should be just about OK. I'm 183cm and just under 100kg, I don't have any problems with position, but the seat on these bikes is pretty hard for us 'heavier' riders.
Thanks for the reply !

I will wait for another month to see what will be coming up next in the second hand market ,its not a hurry...

I will be travelling with my girl on it around town a lot and maybe some trips,i am used to riding a bicycle so mt 07 seat feels like a pillow to me after some serious pain i went through...
I am aware it is a small bike for that but you cant have it all for this price,some compromises have to be made...

Noggie

We are about the same weight, albeit I am a little shorter.

As I was scanning through the list I was looking for one thing.... suspension mods..... and found none.
For us heavier riders the suspension is too soft, I have my rear preload set to 8 (of 9), 3 is default. The forks are soft and nose dive is terrible.

In my opinion, you have many good mod's on this bike (€2000+ worth), spend another €1000 on an Andreani advanced kit with fork cartridge and Ohlins shock and you have a great bike.

Ask if you can test ride it, an pay attention to the suspension, at least if you try to push the bike a little.
Around town it is not a problem, but on twisty country roads the suspension weaknesses are really starting to show on us heavier folks :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

I would never buy a non-ABS version. Lot of pointless extras and an inflated price on the one you're looking at. Sorry, get another bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex88bg

No,i dont have any photos because i was in awe when he turned it on and got lost completely....
I totally agree that is a lot of money for non abs bike...I dont know what to say the salesman was trying to convince me to get akrap and not abs , i find that idiotic but oh well...
I guess i will wait and make a wiser decision...I just lost it how it looked with all that cheese but it is unreasonable...
THanks guys,i will keep looking

sdrio

No,i dont have any photos because i was in awe when he turned it on and got lost completely....
I totally agree that is a lot of money for non abs bike...I dont know what to say the salesman was trying to convince me to get akrap and not abs , i find that idiotic but oh well...
I guess i will wait and make a wiser decision...I just lost it how it looked with all that cheese but it is unreasonable...
THanks guys,i will keep looking
The ABS doesn't make a huge difference in price, when I bought mine it was £300 (about Eur400). I think Anders is talking more about the safety benefit of having it - we've discussed it a few times here, and general opinion is that it's a good thing.

I'd definitely agree that if you had a choice between ABS and a noisy exhaust, the ABS has to be a better option. But in this case it's not a choice, so it's moot anyway. Besides, I hate noisy exhausts, so in fact I'd probably choose a kick in the nuts over one of those, which means my opinion has little value.

On the suspension - personally I have never had too much of an issue with the stock setup, but my riding is done either in busy traffic, or occasionally on a motorway. I guess if I was going to go beserk on windy roads, it might bother me.

Simoncrp

Talking about ABS, I have only had my MT07 for a couple of months and I have now felt my ABS kicking in twice on wet greasy London roads. I would now never buy a bike without ABS.
Although I understand that this subject has been strongly debated.

sdrio

Talking about ABS, I have only had my MT07 for a couple of months and I have now felt my ABS kicking in twice on wet greasy London roads. I would now never buy a bike without ABS.
Although I understand that this subject has been strongly debated.
I don't think any of us were actually against ABS. I was on the sceptical side, but I'm not saying it's a bad thing. There's no doubt that under a lot of circumstances, ABS will get you out of trouble.

I've never managed to set mine off, so I'm actually the least qualified to comment!

Noggie

I don't think any of us were actually against ABS. I was on the sceptical side, but I'm not saying it's a bad thing. There's no doubt that under a lot of circumstances, ABS will get you out of trouble.

I've never managed to set mine off, so I'm actually the least qualified to comment!
My rear one did go off just about every time, after I adjusted my front braking technique too suit the silly soft forks it rarely triggers. I think it was because of the nose dive and the weight shifting forward making the rear light.
Not managed to trigger the front one on this bike though.
ABS is probably great to have when emergency braking, in all other scenarios I guess there is no difference.

When doing my license I had to do emergency braking from 80kph with a Honda CB600F, and it was raining, I felt the front lock up once and the front wheel shifted slightly sideways, had I not had ABS I would have fallen on my face.