Unreliable Fuel Gauge

Eddieh93

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed my fuel gauge getting really patchy readings.

I know people will say that it all depends what resting position I leave my bike in but I put a full tank into it on last Monday then 2 days later with minimal riding the fuel light started flashing, I stopped off and carried on again later on and the bike showed 4 bars?

Its not causing me a major issue just worrying all the time whether its reading write and if I'm going to run out, just wondering if anyone has experienced the same issues or if its just me being picky?

Thanks

Ed

Noggie

I started driving with 3 bars, then it dropped to 1 bar, since we was out on a longer drive I stopped for fuel. Put in 8 liters, meaning I had about 6 liters left with one bar...... That's just under half tank.....
So I'm not sure how much I can trust it.

Have heard talks that the gauge is " intelligent", so how much it drops depends on how you drive it. And before this longer drive I had been practicing my creep skills, so I had not been covering much distance but the bike had been running for quite some time.
So it may have gone a bit crazy because of that.

badger27

It adjusts to your riding style of you give it the beans it will show fewer bars than if you keep the eco sign on

Donut

I don't really take a lot of notice of the fuel gauge but it has worked pretty uniformly with no big jumps that I've noticed.

Also as the tank is generally good for about 140 miles (regardless of how the bike is ridden) so unless I'm getting close to that I don't bother to fuel, unless it's to prepare for a long run.

Ralph

Wouldn't call it accurate but it does seem to be consistent so I know when to fill it up.
sounds like yours as some sort of problem have you checked the wiring.

spencer

Sound like the senda unit is at fault mate. I ride to work today on empty the E started flashing half way down the motorway got to a garage 37 mile late stopped a garage and put 11.5 liters in. I reckon i could have got home again on what was left in the tank well happy with how economical this bike is.

Eddieh93

Cheers guys.

Ye Noggie, I knew the fuel gauge is "intelligent" or not so in this case but does anyone else agree that I need to know when to fill up not how I'm riding, if I wanted to know that I would look at the fuel consumption, for a cheap bike out of the factory I'm surprised it had a electronic dash let alone a responsive fuel gauge.

Spencer, what is the senda unit?

Just cant understand why they don't keep things like that simple.

sdrio

Out of habit, from days when I had no fuel gauge, I always reset one of the trip meters when I fill up. I know under my normal usage I can get around 120 miles from full to flashing, so I don't pay a lot of attention to the gauge.

It doesn't seem very precise, I'd agree. It often starts flashing, then has a little think about it and goes back to one block for another 10 miles.

The flashing start for real at about 1/3 of a tank, which is just north of 4l left. Should be good for at least 40 miles under normal use.

jimyu

This is my first bike with a fuel gauge so it's an absolute luxury for me not to worry about spluttering to a stop and switching to reserve!

Eddieh93

Jimyu, its a trap don't trust it lol

Na i mean I haven't run out yet so that's a good sign, but that it is just not how I want it to be, looks like I'm just being picky.

sdrio

I had a GPz750 in the 90s, that use to blink a red light on the instrument panel when the tank got to about 1/3. Drive me nuts, I covered it up with insulating tape.

spencer

Cheers guys.

Ye Noggie, I knew the fuel gauge is "intelligent" or not so in this case but does anyone else agree that I need to know when to fill up not how I'm riding, if I wanted to know that I would look at the fuel consumption, for a cheap bike out of the factory I'm surprised it had a electronic dash let alone a responsive fuel gauge.

Spencer, what is the senda unit?

Just cant understand why they don't keep things like that simple.
sorry it should have been sender unit. its the float that moves up and down inside the fuel tank to give the reading on your dash. if it is faulty you should be able to get it replaced under warranty

robodene

Agree with "sdrio" - I always reset "trip 1" when I refill.
Me too.
BTW, I am surprised and pleased to see average fuel consumption as high as "70.1". A fill up test even gave me 67. Elsewhere, you may read that I am not riding fast enough. But hey, ho.... I am happy.

CVSensei

I'm having the same issue, was getting paranoid that I have a fuel leak or something similar. Only got it a week ago!

Didn't realise it adjusts depending on your riding style, don't really like that, I'd much rather know exactly how much is in the tank not what the computer thinks will be in there in the future..

On another note does anyone know what the max L you can fill up? I'm sure it's in the manual but I'm away from home for a while.

Ralph

It's supposed to hold 14 ltrs but I doubt you will ever get that in even running it dry,
I got something like 13.3 in and the engine was missing under acceleration so it must have been more or less empty.

Ralph

Are we sure it's predictive, mine just seems to indicate the level, it
will very if it's straight up or on the side stand but that's it, other wise
it just counts down till empty, cant say I have noticed anything
clever about it level wise. There seems to be a delay were if you
have say 3 blocks and you put it on the side stand it will after a
time or on restart it will go to 4 blocks but it drops back after a
short time this in just a delay to stop it flicking between 3 and 4 blocks
when the level is such it is around the change point between the two.

Last edited:

CVSensei

Mine has never shown more than I expected but it often drops a bar or two over night and sometimes drops much faster than expected during a ride.