UK Road tax

xt660isgood2

Just a word of warning….I’m sure many will already know this, but I only just found
It from local radio.

If you buy a used bike/car that has road tax on it. As soon as you
Register it in your name “eg get new log book” it’s no longer taxed?

And you have to tax it in your name. That was well publicised then?

Personally I think the whole thing is mega flawed “no disc in window”

Depending on where you live of course, but there will be many many people who live
In the sticks who just won’t bother with tax/ins/mot as we know you don’t get anpr in
the back of beyond. The dvla have saved a fortune over this and that's all that matters. Result?

Gee

IMHO it was well publicised. Road tax is no longer transferable with the vehicle as it basically belongs to the person who taxed it.

With the amount of ANPR cameras about, the people driving without tax won't get away with it for long before they get caught.

Rural Mid Wales for example, has ANPR cameras going up in most major villages (black cameras on black poles).

Donut

Strictly speaking as soon as ownership changes the vehicle is no longer taxed - DVLA will only be aware when you re-register &/or the previous owner claims back their unused tax.

Torque

Wow you must have been cut off from the media/government/people to have not heard about this sooner. Personally I think it's a good thing especially for bikers, who I thought have wanted a better system than paper tax discs for a long time, mainly to get round the problem of them being stolen from the bike, etc.

DeadHead

It's all digitised now, so the need of the paper disc was longer required. They can check millions of road users every day because tax, mot and your insurance is all linked and held on a computer..probably a fairly large one :D

Anthony

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax
ANPR is not everything, If your vehicle is not taxed and not declared SORN you will get an automatic fine of £80.

Oh and don't use any car parks with camera's or petrol stations as the police have access to that information.

Last edited:

sdrio

Does this mean that when you sell a vehicle, you lose the amount of tax remaining to run?

I can't really understand why they did it. It worked fine before, so unless it's just a money making scheme, why put everyone to the trouble of having to retax a vehicle?

Anthony

You get a automatic refund for the tax. When I sold a Car not long ago, the next week I got a cheque for the remaining tax. You only get if from the start of the next month, S0 if you sell a car on the 1st, you lose that months tax.
But when you trade in a car for £350 and get £100 back automatic its quite nice, Though that covers the tax on the next vehicle.

sdrio

You get a automatic refund for the tax. When I sold a Car not long ago, the next week I got a cheque for the remaining tax. You only get if from the start of the next month, S0 if you sell a car on the 1st, you lose that months tax.
But when you trade in a car for £350 and get £100 back automatic its quite nice, Though that covers the tax on the next vehicle.
So other than them nicking whatever part of a month is left, I just don't see the point. It just creates more work, and generates fines.

Hmm . . generates fines . . . OK, I think I see it now.

Anthony

Well it depends how much your time to fill out the old form and send back your tax disk was worth. I like it, it just removes work, you can buy tax online, I pay my tax now by direct debit so it just comes out each month and will continue to until I sell my bike.

Donut

Just be so much easier if them but the tax on fuel. That way it cannot be avoided, if you have a fuel efficient vehicle you'll pay less than a "gas guzzler" and if you travel only a few miles a year then again you'll pay less than if your mileage rivals that of the starship Enterprise.

Would also make sense to have an insurance disk/sticker/plate to put on a vehicle so that you can see at a quick glance if a vehicle is likely to be road legal or not.

xt660isgood2

Ok I know I’m a grumpy old git and also appreciate that car tax is calculated on co2 emissions, which I’m not grumpy about.

But It just seems a bit wrong that I drive 25k a year in a works Citroen C1 and pay
£0 pounds road tax. But ride two bikes doing around 4k max a year and It costs me £160.

Was unaware of anpr in rural areas. Would be interesting to see some pictures?

Actually It wouldn’t surprise me at all. Rubbish broadband and hardly any mobile phone signal but nation wide anpr. Off to send a txt with my arm out the window again doh! ;)