Top Box & Rack Recommendations?

cisco43

Taking into account not everybody's cup of tea, but I do need one for practicality

So;

I was looking at the Givi Rack (2118FZ + either the M5 or the newer M7 plate) & Givi Top Box as I think they look nicer than the Yamaha offerings

Anyone got one of their MT 07?

Box Size Recommendation?
I was thinking possibly V47 / V46, but that would be my max size

I had also read in an earlier post that possibly the tail tidy clashes with the Givi Rack, is that true, or just certain tail tidies, (Mine's Yamaha)

Lastly,anyone got glowing recommendations for other possibles, Yamaha, SW Motech or ???

Many Thanks

bobh

I have a Givi rack on mine. I don't think it would be compatible with a tail tidy, as there are a couple of steel plate components that extend out towards the number plate. Have a look at the installation instructions pdf on the Givi site to see what you think.

I have the Monolock (M5M?) plate, simply because that was compatible with the two-helmet-sized box I already had. But I bought a smaller box on ebay which looks a bit neater and does the job for most of the time:

All I can say is it works - no complaints.

Last edited:

cisco43

Thanks for the reply

I think your set up works well.

What size is your box?

Damn re the tail tidy, maybe it will have to be a Yam rack...with a Givi Box!

Ralph

Hi Ralph

Thanks, and would I be right in thinking, that's a 39 litre box?
Yep 39 you have to get the lock and build it to fit your key so the bike key fits but its
not hard just fiddly.
The box locks right on the carrier without a conversion plate so at least you don't have
that cost, and though everyone else seems to disagree I think the Yam carrier looks
better the Givi one at least to my eyes looks like it's been knocked up in someone's shed.

Last edited:

cisco43

Cheers chaps...nice box...ooh err ;)

Well the research goes on, having decided to go for a Yam Rack, (to fit in with my tail tidy) Givi now tell me that they don't do a plate that will fit on, so its either Yam & Yam, or Givi & Givi

Bollax

Personally I'm surprised, and have heard that's not the case from other sources, we'll see
Time to trawl the interweb

Ralph

Cheers chaps...nice box...ooh err ;)

Well the research goes on, having decided to go for a Yam Rack, (to fit in with my tail tidy) Givi now tell me that they don't do a plate that will fit on, so its either Yam & Yam, or Givi & Givi

Bollax

Personally I'm surprised, and have heard that's not the case from other sources, we'll see
Time to trawl the interweb
I am not sure if the bit about having to have a Yam box with a Yam carrier is true or not
there are Mono key or Mono lock Givi boxes they use different fittings and one cant remember
which looks like it may fit, if you have a friendly dealer with both in stock it may be worth a test.
Check out Yam Spares for carrier and boxes.

http://yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-motorcycle-accessories/yamaha-mt-series-accessories/yamaha-mt-07-accessories.html?limit=120

I got mine as part of the deal so did not pay anything like these prices so it may be worth talking to the dealer the bike came from.

Last edited:

cisco43

Thanks Ralph

Well, I got another answer from Givi

I can confirm that we produce a Universal Fitting Plate for our Monokey range of cases and the part number is E251. However, as the E251 plate will not fit straight onto a Yamaha rear rack, the plate would need to be modified. It is because of this reason that Givi developed a specific rear rack for the MT07 ie part number 2118FZ.

I would also advise that all Givi products are made to be mounted onto factory standard motorcycles, as a result, your MT07 would need to have its original rear end in place in order to mount the Givi rear rack (part number) 2118FZ, therefore, you would need to reinstall the original number plate holder.

I trust the above information will prove helpful and I would thank you for contacting Givi UK.

So, looks like it does need to be;
Yamaha Rack / Yamaha Box
Givi Rack / Givi Box

I think you can buy a SW Motech Alu-Rack, and fit Givi, (not sure about Yamaha) but don't know for 100% certainty, and their load rating is only 5Kg, (Givi's 10Kg & Yamaha's 8Kg, so I understand)

I've come around to liking the Yamaha Rack, but still not so sure about the Box

Although, I'll probably end up with the Yamaha Rack & Box as its the simpler option, plus having only one key for bike & box is a benefit

ken_nx

HiVolt

Yep 39 you have to get the lock and build it to fit your key so the bike key fits but its
not hard just fiddly.
The box locks right on the carrier without a conversion plate so at least you don't have
that cost, and though everyone else seems to disagree I think the Yam carrier looks
better the Givi one at least to my eyes looks like it's been knocked up in someone's shed.

Ralph, I have the Yamaha rack (on an MT-07) and I've learned I can't fit my old Givi plate + case. I need to fit a helmet + boots and trousers when off the bike, and a laptop bag when riding. The 50 Litre Yam case isn't recommended for the bike. How big is the 39L case? Apart from a full face helmet, what space is left in the box? Any advice or pics gratefully welcomed. Steve

Ralph

I can fit my lap top in on it's own and can fit my helmet on it's own
but not helmet and boots could likely fit helmet and trousers but can
not get boots and helmet, think you need a bigger box.

kyrtgr

My Mt with the Sw-motech rack and givi top case. I don't remember exactly but I believe it the 43 lt one.
I had no issues with the tail tidy.

HiVolt

50 litre yamaha top case?

I can fit my lap top in on it's own and can fit my helmet on it's own
but not helmet and boots could likely fit helmet and trousers but can
not get boots and helmet, think you need a bigger box.
Thanks Ralph; I thought that would be the case. Apparently the 50L Yam case isn't recommended for the bike, but I can't find out why.

Has anyone out there tried it?

Ralph

Dont know but I thought about the 50l one only reason I did not go for it was
that I did not need one that big.
The rack feels very solid and well up to the job.

cisco43

My quest is finally complete

Having trawled the internet for every Top Boxed MT07 pic I could find, I did see others who had a Yam Rack with a Givi Plate & Box, so I thought it would be worth giving it a go, and lo and behold, it worked

Yamaha Rack
Givi Universal Plate E251, (a small amount of tweaking needed to fit, mainly increasing the length slightly of a couple of the bolts, and I bought an extra couple in addition, but all in all, quite easy to fit)
Givi V47NNT Monokey Top Box (with smoked reflectors which suit my bike pretty damn well)

I did pain over what size box to buy, and was worried that the one i wanted, (V47) was too big.
The V46 is only marginally smaller, and the V40, well, if you were going to go for that size, may as well stick to the basic Yam Box

I do think the Givi box is far nicer than the Yam offerings, but just my personal opinion.
Also,the V47 takes 2 Helmets very easily.

I've included a couple of pics of my bike below...I hope!

2016-04-19 12.31.13.jpg2016-04-19 12.31.39.jpg

Ralph

It's odd how in a pic the box looks too far out the back but in real life they look fine,
looks good cant see why that should cause any problems most likely they don't recommend
it is they don't want you loading it to the gills with heavy stuff.

bobh

It's odd how in a pic the box looks too far out the back but in real life they look fine,
looks good cant see why that should cause any problems most likely they don't recommend
it is they don't want you loading it to the gills with heavy stuff.
It's possible that there could be aerodynamic effects (weave etc.) at high speed with a big box. But if you're only using it for commuting at sensible legal(-ish) speeds I don't think it'll be a problem.

cisco43

You're right, also, in real life the size looks fine, but when I take a pic, it can sometimes look big, but overall, I'm very pleased.

It's possible that there could be aerodynamic effects (weave etc.) at high speed with a big box. But if you're only using it for commuting at sensible legal(-ish) speeds I don't think it'll be a problem.
I'm mainly around London, and yes, sensible (ish) speeds.
I've had a few bags of shopping in it, all well, also been at higher speeds and so far so good

Wouldn't load it with bricks, (if you know what I mean) although saying that years back I did put a load of marble tiles in my ol fazers top box...what a stupid mistake that was, I was practically wheelying home, I kid you not, what a numpty...learnt my lesson though ;)