Tips on how best to connect USB charger?

Lillski

Hi all

My newly purchased MT07 came with a Ram Mount and also a hard wired connection for TomTom rider.

I don't however have the TomTom Rider and would like to use my IPhone as a hard wired option. Has anybody on the forum wired up a USB charger to their MT07?

If so how did you go about this? Is it possible to wire a kit direct to the DC connector on the left hand side of the tank?

Many thanks in advance

DeadHead

I've just wired up a camera to the bike which has a USB connector and I hooked it to the AUX port...works beautifully. When the ignition is off so is the power, when I turn it on so does the camera starts up.
I also have a tomtom rider, that is currently connected to the battery. This might change when the new tomtom is launched next month.

It's such an easy bike to work on, easy to hide the wires. From the AUX connection, I took the wire back to under the pillion set, this is where the USB connection is stored for easy access, I then followed the wire back to the camera.

Last edited:

Lillski

So you use the connector under the pillion seat as opposed the connector on the left hand side of the tank?

DeadHead

NO. You do use the connector under the left hand panel as the first picture shows, I just placed the USB connecting box under the pillion seat for easy access.

def

hm im looking for a usb charger. and i found these on ebay motorcykel usb charger | eBay
do i connect them straight to the battery? my charger for my smartphone says it gives like 5.8v or something like that, and the battery is 12v?

foxracer

It's best to avoid connecting things directly to the battery, or if you do, make sure there is an inline fuse as close to the battery as possible.

These USB chargers will reduce the voltage from 12v to 5v so will be safe for your phone.

Ralph

The MT as as small battery and even a very small drain when the engine is not running will discharge it
also bikes tend to sit for days without use so I would connect it to a supply that is switched rather than
right to the battery,

Gaulois

The MT as as small battery and even a very small drain when the engine is not running will discharge it
also bikes tend to sit for days without use so I would connect it to a supply that is switched rather than
right to the battery,
I have had mine setup directly to the battery with no issue, as long as you don't let your GPS on your bike for hours while parked, but a thief will make sure to dismount your GPS and save your battery :eek:

Here is how I mount it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4uXjfO60WM