Suspension Upgrades:- Products in the Market?

Nuggets

An upgrade I have been contemplating a while is the suspension, as with most decisions in my life the final selection is preceded by as much research as possible.

I've done a lot of searching and here's what I have found from the web so far, I was hoping a few more cartridge solutions had been developed for the mighty7 but if they have people are staying quiet.

If you know of any more to add to the list or any other model fitments that will work on the MT07 then don't be shy let them be known!

Yamaha Part Numbers:- doesn't look like these are common with any other models but most of the part number (except first 3 characters) matches a 2008 Yamaha R1 (I wonder if that is a clue to other kits that will fit?)

• Rear: 1WS-22210-00
  • Front LH:1XB-23103-00
  • Front RH:1WS-23102-00

Front Fork Specs:
  • 10W Fork Oil
  • Quantity: 403cm3
  • Level:162mm
  • Spring Rate: 8.5N/mm
  • Tube ID: 41mm

Rear Shock
  • Ohlins (part # S46DR1)
  • Nitron Yamaha MT07 (14) NTR R1 or R2 or R3
  • Wilbers (type 640 road)
  • Hyperpro (465)
  • Hagon (M62092- M62092 YAMAHA MT-07 (JYARM041) 2014)
  • Penske Racing 8900 series - (8983 & 8987 upgrades available)
  • JRI street fighter shock (for FZ-07)

Front Shocks (Spring Kits)
  • Hyperpro (part # SP-YA07-SSA017)
  • Ohlins (part # 08425-90) & Oil (01309-01)
  • Matris Fork Springs + Preload Kit (part # FY111KE)
  • Wilbers progressive (part # 600-0486-00)
  • Wilbers progressive (part # 500-0486-00) - budget springs?
  • Wilbers linear (part # 601-0480-00) - 40mm lowering + bushings

Front Shocks (Cartridge Kits)
  • Andreani (part # 105/Y11)
  • Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Axxion Cartridge Kit

no point listing any thing K-tech make unless your pockets run deep to 4 figures!

Last edited:

pgeldz

Traxxion Dynamics are developing a kit based on the AK-20 Axxion Cartridge Kit in the states - not listed on their site yet.

The AK20's by Traxxion Dynamics are available now...I have their complete set - the AK20's up front, and the Traxxion Dynamics spec'd Penske triple clicker out back. It's magical :)

- Paulie

i can tell you this. i have just got my bike back finished from hyperpro and it is now a missile.
the forks are 20mm shorter and the rear shock is 20mm shorter if your 5ft 3 you can now place both feet firmly on the ground. all the bouncy handling has gone from the front and rear, with the rear gripping the road very hard also letting you drift the rear around corners smoking the tyre.because the suspension is now squating i look like a gorilla wrestling the bike over the handlebars also this makes the bike look very aggressive. downside is rear tyre wear up slightly as you can use the bike and trust it.the sidestand is now to long but i have yamaha sending a new shorter stand as they have seen the bike. the front no longer dives under heavy breaking this is such a confidence builder and into corners at high speed counter steering you can lean the bike right over and get right back on the power mid-corner to exit.
although the bike is much lower nothing touches down so nothing is compromised. hyperpro also have a kit ready for the standard ride height if you do not wish to drop the bike. The Mt-09 has recieved similar treatment and was faster on track than the r6 and ducati panagale. visordown had the Mt-07 just slightly behind the ducati on time.
i will be posting pictures at the weekend in a new thread so you can see how different the mt-07 looks now

Ralph

Maxton may be worth a ring, not a MT but we had 2 V-stroms one standard one that Maxton
had done and you could tell as soon as you let the clutch out, it was at least 20 mph faster
on any road, cant give a idea on price as it was done for a article in a mag, this is the time
of year you may get a good deal but don't bother around TT time as they do lots of race bikes,
they are not far from Chester in a renovated chapel half way up a mountain but theres nothing
hill billy about the set up inside. They don't just fit new stuff they will modify the kit on the bike
though I think the rear shock needs to be replaced to get the rear anything like right.

Last edited:

Gaz2212

Got mine booked in with maxton 12th jan. He's keeping it for 2 weeks to do fitment as they have not done one yet, will report back with the results

CVSensei

i can tell you this. i have just got my bike back finished from hyperpro and it is now a missile.
the forks are 20mm shorter and the rear shock is 20mm shorter if your 5ft 3 you can now place both feet firmly on the ground. all the bouncy handling has gone from the front and rear, with the rear gripping the road very hard also letting you drift the rear around corners smoking the tyre.because the suspension is now squating i look like a gorilla wrestling the bike over the handlebars also this makes the bike look very aggressive. downside is rear tyre wear up slightly as you can use the bike and trust it.the sidestand is now to long but i have yamaha sending a new shorter stand as they have seen the bike. the front no longer dives under heavy breaking this is such a confidence builder and into corners at high speed counter steering you can lean the bike right over and get right back on the power mid-corner to exit.
although the bike is much lower nothing touches down so nothing is compromised. hyperpro also have a kit ready for the standard ride height if you do not wish to drop the bike. The Mt-09 has recieved similar treatment and was faster on track than the r6 and ducati panagale. visordown had the Mt-07 just slightly behind the ducati on time.
i will be posting pictures at the weekend in a new thread so you can see how different the mt-07 looks now
How much did parts and fitting cost mate? Also where did you get it done? Cheers

KEVINJSTANLEY

Got mine booked in with maxton 12th jan. He's keeping it for 2 weeks to do fitment as they have not done one yet, will report back with the results
hi Gazz
I am looking into the moto cage following the MCN show, but i would love to know how you get on with Maxton

Gaz2212

hi kev
should be getting my bike back at the end of this week, richard has been working with some race teams since he had my bike, i did tell him to take as long as he likes with the weather being as bad as it is
soon as i have had a good ride with the new set up i will report back

Donut

hi kev
should be getting my bike back at the end of this week, richard has been working with some race teams since he had my bike, i did tell him to take as long as he likes with the weather being as bad as it is
soon as i have had a good ride with the new set up i will report back

Any feedback yet and of course details of cost would be good.

Gaz2212

got my bike back last week, went for a long ride saturday, what a difference, the bike is now stunning, loads of feedback and confidence through the corners, i can now use the engine braking properly with no diving at the front end, hard acceleration i now have no squatting and squirming around and the front still stays planted.
loads more grip and the ride is now real smooth
i had the maxton rt10 rear shock fitted, this is the one with the remote reservoir, richard at maxton says this is probably over the top and for normal road use he would recommend his nr4 shock, the nr4 shock is a direct replacement for the original unit
the front, richard machined new fork tops and then fitted his gp20 fork cartridges
the cost including vat £1450. I know what is coming now, thats 25% cost of the whole bike, but i think i have started with a budget bike and now made it into something that works for me now perfectly. this cost would reduce if you used tne nr4 shock but not sure on price
i thought the upgrade on my brake lines and pads was the best mod but this definately is by far the best upgrade it has totally transformed the bike
i will get some pics up at the weekend
link for maxton suspension ask to speak with richard, he is very knowledgable and is willing to give plenty of advice
Maxton Suspension home page

nobull

Hi Gaz, any idea how much extra you paid for the fitting (as opposed to just dropping off forks then collecting shock and modded forks for home installation)? Or was it a discounted price because you're the first MT07 customer so used your bike for measurements etc(I know a lot of aftermarket part suppliers do this)?

Gaz2212

not sure how much for installation, maxton did not charge me for this as they used my bike for fitment but if you speak with richard at maxton he will be able to give you better information
by the way, been out again today and believe me it has totally transformed the bike, so much more confidence around the bends and it irons out the bumps brilliantly
i know this mod is expensive but it is totally worth it and i would recommend to anyone and maxton's service and advice is superb

DeadHead

I was thinking that Gaz in all honesty, I can't get my head round spending nearly £1500 on a £5500 bike, when the MT-09 comes in at £6899 with far superior suspension. OK it might not be at the standard you have just fitted, and I would love to try yours out to compare but definitely better than the shitty shocks in the mt-07. There again if the bike gives you an even bigger smile than is did before who am i to criticize how you spend your cash.

DeadHead

Doesn't the MT-09 have an Ohlins rear shock as standard? The one I tried when mine was in for some work did.