Strange engine noise (Mt 07)

andreaspid

Hello to you all,

First of all sorry for my poor english :)

I bought an Mt 07 two months ago... I already have almost 500 km. Few days ago i noticed a strange noise from my engine!

I visited my dealer and told me that the noise is normal, but i wasn't convinced!

Pls take a look at the video

[video=youtube;xRtibhALkgk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRtibhALkgk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

For any advice i will be grateful!

Cheers

andreaspid

Hello again!
Yesterday i visited my dealer! He made a test ride of my bike for around 20 minutes. He noticed this strange sound coming from the front of my bike! This sound is noticeable when the temp is about 80-85 degrees celcius and the machine working at the 3000-3500 rpm! Its like a tik tik tik coming from the front! He told me that he has no idea from where this sound is coming from!

Ralph

Only thing the 07 has that most bikes don't is the decompresser that allows the smaller
lighter starter to turn the engine, that's on the gear at the end of the exhaust camshaft
but if that was going to make a noise I would expect it to be a low revs, the cam chain
could also be a suspect, but you do tend to hear noises on the 07 as the exhaust is so quiet,
I have come across these decompresser's on hundreds of industrial engines and never
seen one go wrong though Yamaha may have managed to invent a bad one as I have seen
one report of one becoming noisy. Only thing I can hear on yours is a bit of valve noise
and that will go quieter as the miles mount as they tend to tighten up till you have to
adjust the valves, this is set at 24000 miles so they are likely set on the wide side to
make sure they don't get to tight before this mileage. but as far as I can tell yours sounds
just like mine and I am not at all worries by it.

Last edited:

andreaspid

Only thing the 07 has that most bikes don't is the decompresser that allows the smaller
lighter starter to turn the engine, that's on the gear at the end of the exhaust camshaft
but if that was going to make a noise I would expect it to be a low revs, the cam chain
could also be a suspect, but you do tend to hear noises on the 07 as the exhaust is so quiet,
I have come across these decompresser's on hundreds of industrial engines and never
seen one go wrong though Yamaha may have managed to invent a bad one as I have seen
one report of one becoming noisy. Only thing I can hear on yours is a bit of valve noise
and that will go quieter as the miles mount as they tend to tighten up till you have to
adjust the valves, this is set at 24000 miles so they are likely set on the wise side to
make sure they don't get to tight before this mileage. but as far as I can tell yours sounds
just like mine and I am not at all worries by it.
Thanks Ralph for all these interesting informations you agave me!

bobh

Hi - Yes, it sounds normal to me as well.

It's possible there's a bit of rattle from the camchain, which may have bedded in but hasn't stretched enough for the automatic tensioner to click up into the next notch. Unlike some other makes (e.g. Honda), Yamaha don't traditionally have any issues with camchains or tensioners, even at very big mileages, so I wouldn't be concerned about it.

One thing I've noticed on mine is that there's quite a lot of piston slap until it gets really warm. Though it's no more obvious than some other bikes I've had, e.g. Suzuki SV650. As an earlier poster said, it's easier to hear these noises on the MT-07 because the standard exhaust is so quiet.

Have you recently changed your helmet, or started riding without earplugs or with the visor up? All these things can change the noises you hear. I have two helmets, one for summer and the other for winter with an anti-fog insert etc. When I switch to the winter one I hear a lot more engine noise, even though the helmets are very similar models from the same manufacturer (HJC).

sdrio

Have you recently changed your helmet, or started riding without earplugs or with the visor up? All these things can change the noises you hear. I have two helmets, one for summer and the other for winter with an anti-fog insert etc. When I switch to the winter one I hear a lot more engine noise, even though the helmets are very similar models from the same manufacturer (HJC).
This always catches me out. I almost always ride with a balaclava kind of thing under my helmet, mostly to keep my shirt clean, but it also slightly deadens outside sound.

On the occasions I'm making a short journey and don't bother with it, I usually have an 'OMG, what's that horrible noise?' moment when I start the bike and can hear the various mechanical clanking noises that the balaclava normally cuts out.

san88nas

My bike has only done 200km noticed the same noise from the front of the bike.

At first i thought the exhaust flange wasn't seated properly.

seems to clear up above 4k, hard to tell the akra is pretty loud.

i just put it down to the way the engine fires....