Stalling & O2 Eliminators - A Possible Solution

DJP

From time to time, I’ve experienced the much-reported stalling issue. My bike can go for months without it happening and then do it two or three times in a week. It mostly does it when I’m still moving. For example, I’ll be slowing down for traffic lights and as I pull in the clutch to stop, the engine just dies. And, on each occasion that it does it, it takes five or six attempts to re-start. That to me is indicative of a fuelling problem.

I’ve read of similar stalling issues on other bikes where removal of the O2 sensor is the accepted solution. I won’t pretend to be an expert but, as I understand it, the O2 sensor controls fuelling at low engine speeds. So if it detects exhaust emissions outside certain parameters it signals the ECU to supply less fuel. Which is great for the environment (or at least emissions tests) but it sometimes cuts fuel to the point where the engine can't actually run and it stalls.

Now you could just unplug the O2 sensor. I don't know if that would cause running problems but it will certainly throw an error message and “Check Engine” light on the dash. (Also running the O2 sensor disconnected will eventually kill it so you can't easily put the bike back as it was). However, an O2 eliminator fools the system into thinking that the O2 sensor is still there, hence no error messages. So I figured I’d give it a try.

I bought a full kit, including a blanking plug, from eBay for £14 delivered and fitting is a doddle: Remove the right side frame cover, trace the O2 sensor wiring back to the connector, disconnect it and plug the eliminator in it's place. Then unbolt the O2 sensor from the exhaust and fit the blanking plug instead. Takes about 10 minutes all in.

So what's it like? Well, it’s early days but I’m going to call it a success: I haven’t had any stalling since fitting the eliminator and tick-over is now rock steady instead of wavering up and down like before. And although I haven’t measured properly, fuel consumption seems unaffected. So a small price to pay for a much enhanced, and safer, riding experience.

Last edited:

addy

That's fine mate, you can ignore the advice from people who have fixed the issue. As someone who had a bike cutting out multiple times every week this fixes the issues and has fixed the issue for many others.

Yaminator

Hi DJP, I did this on a previous bike & i noticed that the mpg was affected quite badly.....
It did run very well but id say the mg was down by 30%..

DJP

That's fine mate, you can ignore the advice from people who have fixed the issue. As someone who had a bike cutting out multiple times every week this fixes the issues and has fixed the issue for many others.
Hey, I'm not looking for an argument - just saying that "Increasing the fuelling by two points" (whatever that actually means) is unlikely to have an effect since the O2 Sensor would simply detect the increased mixture and turn everything back to how it was.

So if your dealer's fixed it then I suspect that they've actually done something else.

DJP

Hi DJP, I did this on a previous bike & i noticed that the mpg was affected quite badly.....
It did run very well but id say the mg was down by 30%..
Fortunately, I've had nothing like that. I monitor my fuel consumption via Fuelly (and I have done from day one). I've put 5 or 6 tank fulls through the bike since fitting the eliminator and fuel consumption is exactly the same.

As I understand it, the O2 Sensor only has an effect at low speeds anyway and so shouldn't affect "Highway" fuel consumption at all.

My point really is that an O2 Eliminator is only a tenner (and a piece of piddle to fit) so anyone having issues might as well give it a try (it's easy to put the bike back as it was if you don't like it).

addy

Hey, I'm not looking for an argument - just saying that "Increasing the fuelling by two points" (whatever that actually means) is unlikely to have an effect since the O2 Sensor would simply detect the increased mixture and turn everything back to how it was.

So if your dealer's fixed it then I suspect that they've actually done something else.
No they haven't, Like I said they increased the fueling by two points, connected the bike to the computer and increased it by 2... the most simple job you could imagine even the most stupid mechanic could manage it. I spent the last two years in and out the dealer with them trying everything they could think of with no improvement and once they finally did what I asked them to the problem was fixed.

Like I said you can be ignorant and dismissive of what has worked for everyone else and continue messing around with your o2 sensor.

DJP

OK, I'm happy their fix worked for you. :)

(although, personally, I wouldn't trust my local Yam dealer to actually do anything for me, although I'm sure they'd be happy to charge me for saying that they had... ;))

Last edited:

Ralph

Mine was a staller, they did increase the fueling I watched them do it, first they had
done and wanted feed back, since it has stalled twice in about 5000 miles, before
this I tried unplugging the 02 and it worked did not stall and ran better at low revs,
I also have a Kawasaki, that came fitted with a device called a Booster Plug at
least I think thats the name, it as a separate temp sensor and fools the ECU into
thinking it needs 6% more fuel though this bike never stalled it does run better at
low speed with it, problem is that emission controls are forcing engines to be run
right on the edge of what is possible at this time and drivability is suffering so
anything that makes them run a little richer helps, Even though you are injecting
more fuel the bike gives a little more power and will often run a higher gear at
the same speed so fuel consumption can end up being unchanged or even better.
Not that you should have these problems on a new bike but they would rather take
the easier view that it doesn't happen implying it is rider error until some poor sod
gets rear ended, or the clamor gets so loud it affects sales.

Last edited:

NEloi

Good day,

Mine has stalled a few times in the last month, not sure if it is the same issue reported here or not.

Every time it stalled was right after down shifting and after leaning into a right hand corner, leaving me with no engine in the middle of it.

Now the fun part is, the engine can restart one second later without doing anything.

If I pull the clutch I've to corner without engine.

If I don't pull the clutch the engine can restart mid corner and lock the rear wheel

Not a fun thing.

Any clues to what it could be?

Last edited:

Ralph

I had the dealer increase the fueling on mine but befor I did try just disconnecting the O2, it did not show a fault light and did seem to make
the bike run better, I am still tempted to fit a eliminator as you have done though as I still feel it runs a bit weak.

Ralph

One thing worth checking is if the little switch on the clutch leaver is connected as
this serves to wake the injection up after it as been on the over run it is a anti stall device.
The connector is often missed in a pdi check.

NEloi

Turns out it was the side stand switch.

I was lucky enough to have it stall when stopping for a red light, started the engine just fine, switch into first and it stalled again.