Spongy Back Brake

Eddieh93

The back brake is spongy as we all probably already know.

Has anyone had any success in trying to sharpen up the back brake?

Let me know.

Ralph

Maybe yours as a bit of air in it, mines the best rear disc brake I've ever had
some after market pads would likely sharpen it up I have had good results from
EBC.

Eddieh93

I did think this however can the air just magically get in the system as I haven't done anything to the system before I am going to change the pads and fluid anyway.

Ralph

One job at once then you can access the results, do the pads first and give them
a good few miles to bed in before deciding to go further.

sdrio

With the caveat that almost everything else they ever told me was a load of cobblers, when I bought mine I told the mechanic the back brake felt spongy, and he said it was to do with the ABS, and that was normal.

I can't see why, but as it works OK I never really worried about it.

Ralph

Dont like the feel of ABS when it cuts in my instinct is to realise the brakes not what your supposed to do by all accounts.
I also ride a Morini the brakes on that drum brakes both ends will lock the wheels at a glance so if I reverted to ABS mode
on that I would be down the road. Modern abs systems are very good I just dont want to mix the two.

robodene

I was not happy with the rear brake. So I raised the lever hoping to improve things. It did not make much difference, of course, and it put the brake lights on permanently. So that has to be adjusted too.

Eddieh93

I went into the Triumph dealer the other day just looking I want a Daytona 675R at some point and told him I went for the non abs because I didn't want it cutting in I want to ride the motorbike not have electrics do it for me!

He told me that all bike from 2017 are to be ABS so I will have trouble selling it.

Last edited:

brandonheat

Eddieh93, having a friend with a Daytona 675R and by having the chance to ride it for more than once, i can tell you that this bike is a rocket compared to our FZ/MT...The transition from a naked supersport to an upgraded R version of 2009 pure racing is breathtaking.
On the subject, I have read in a post (maybe in this forum) that Yammy has used the exact same tech for back brakes even for the non ABS version, therefor you have that strange sponginess feeling.

Ralph

Yep we wont have a choice soon having abs would not be a deal beaker for me but
given the choice I would not bother with it. Others are completely the opposite and would
not buy a bike without it, all abs systems are not created equal I have had it on cars were
it never cut in and others like the one I have now that cuts in much to soon, bike abs
does not quite work the same as car abs but it works well, they don't even allow us to
decide when to put the lights on now a days so what next I don't know.

brandonheat

Well, Ralph most of them has to do with EU regulations and compliance according to legislation (Can't speak for the US part since I'm not aware of what's going on the other side of the Atlantic).
Having as part of my everyday life for ~7 years an Aprilia Pegasus without ABS, its was kinda hard to move towards the ABS style and at first i was feeling unsecured and numb. Keep in mind that I mostly commute through heavy traffic city roads and highways...
But in the end it has to do with what each rider wants to have and look for the appropriate brand that fulfills most of his needs.

sdrio

Is there any difference between an ABS and Non-ABS version in terms of feel? Mine has ABS, but as far as I know I have never set it off.

So for me, there is absolutely no difference until you're skidding.

I wanted a Non-ABS bike when I bought mine, but they said I could take the ABS one away with me, whereas the Non-ABS was simply not available at the time, and could be months. My only reason for that was that I had seen a few examples of ABS systems that had been unreliable, and trashed the resale values of the bikes they were fitted on. (I recall BMW had this problem). As he offered it for the same price as a Non ABS bike, I took it.

Eddieh93

Well Triumph dealer told me that the bike without it now will attract a smaller re-sale value than the NON ABS version.

Seems to be contradicting theories. The one I rode at my local dealer kicked in a lot whether I was too hard on the brakes or the system was faulty I don't know but I like the raw bike.