Something to check as our bikes reach 2 years old and beyond.

sdrio

Head bearings.

Apparently these as fitted in the factory to the MT07 are of the same kind of standard as the rest of the bike, and don't last as far as you'd expect them to. There have been a few cases of them being replaced under warranty, for the lucky few people whose warranties were honoured.

Head bearings, especially on a bike without a centre stand tend to slowly deteriorate without you really being aware. There is a very gradual drop in handling precision, and because it doesn't suddenly go, you don't feel it.

The only way to check it to get the front wheel in the air, and move the bars from side to side. The usual symptoms of worn head bearings are a very faint notchy feel as they pass through the straight ahead position, a very small click, although you won't hear anything, you'll just feel it.

This can actually have a significant effect on handling. At slower speeds when riding in a straight line, we are constantly making minute adjustments, and worn head bearings will have an effect on these. It makes the bike far less planted.

Anyway, if you've gone past about 10,000 miles on your bike (approx 16,000km), you should think about getting them checked, or if you can, check them yourself. If you're still under warranty, you should see about getting them done by Yamaha. If not, it's not a particularly expensive job - you probably could do it yourself, but there's quite a lot of disassembly required, and personally I wouldn't want to do it.

The tyre fitting place I use in London quoted £120 to do mine, a Yamaha dealer would probably be a bit more.

bobh

Good advice.

Also brake fluids need to be changed every two years.
I think that's being pessimistic, especially in a dry place like Greece!

In the UK I''m happy with every 3-4 years, except on a bike that's being used on the track, where the possibility of boiling is greater. The clue is where the fluid shows significant darkening - DOT4 brake fluid is hygroscopic (?), i.e. it takes up moisture from the atmosphere, and the darker colour indicates that the water content has become excessive. Water has two downsides, but the main one as far as a road bike is concerned is that it will increase corrosion of the internal brake components and ultimately need overhaul of master cylinders and calipers. As I've already hinted, it can also lead to boiling under really heavy use (I guess that could include descending long Alpine passes as well as track use), resulting in spongy and, ultimately, non-existent brake feel.

valvestem

Hi;
It isn't grease they need as the duty cycle is extremely low for that bearing.
What the bearing does need is correct adjustment and that means NO slop so that it can't hammer the bearing when hitting pot holes etc.
Head bearing can last over 100K. My kawasaki concours has 120K same bearings.
My fz09 bearing was loose and made adjustment soon after purchasing that bike..
I don't have a fz07 yet but really like it.
Ride safe You All

ptc

I think that's being pessimistic, especially in a dry place like Greece!

In the UK I''m happy with every 3-4 years, except on a bike that's being used on the track, where the possibility of boiling is greater. The clue is where the fluid shows significant darkening - DOT4 brake fluid is hygroscopic (?), i.e. it takes up moisture from the atmosphere, and the darker colour indicates that the water content has become excessive. Water has two downsides, but the main one as far as a road bike is concerned is that it will increase corrosion of the internal brake components and ultimately need overhaul of master cylinders and calipers. As I've already hinted, it can also lead to boiling under really heavy use (I guess that could include descending long Alpine passes as well as track use), resulting in spongy and, ultimately, non-existent brake feel.
Well, I'm just saying what the manual suggests (2 years).

sdrio

Have to say, while most service schedules do call for brake fluid changes at this kind of interval, I have rarely ever changed brake fluid on a bike. If I do, I'll normally just pump new stuff through, without emptying the system.

If the brakes work, I just roll with it.