Something is slipping as I pull away from a cold start.

sdrio

This is certainly take it to the dealer time, but wonder if anyone has ever had this difficult to describe problem.

When I leave the bike for a while, then get on and pull away, if I'm anything but super gentle, something 'slips' in the drivetrain. It just does it once, and it only seems to do it after the bike has been left - example, it has done it every morning for the past few days.

It doesn;t do it immediately every time, sometimes it's as I pull off, another time it did it at the roundabout about half a mile into my journey.

It's hard to describe - it's like say if the sprocket was loose, or the chain was slipping. I've checked everything I can see, and adjusted the chain. No difference.

I also wondered if it could be something to do with the clutch? Would make sense, if there was an issue with a plate sticking or something, you would get the little jolt as it worked itself free. Would explain why it only did it once, and only from cold.

I'll book it into the dealers anyway, just curious to know if anyone else had ever had this happen.

dazzor

I wonder if this is related to your specific stalling issue?

I only say that as your bike appears to exhibit the stalling issue more acutely that other reports I've seen.

Does sound clutch-related to me too, hope you get it sorted.

Ralph

It's a strange one, could it be anything to do with the crush drive in the rear hub
see if there feels to be a lot of movement between the hub and sprocket in the
direction of travel there is always some as there are rubber buffers in there to
take the shock out of the chain drive.

sdrio

It's a strange one, could it be anything to do with the crush drive in the rear hub
see if there feels to be a lot of movement between the hub and sprocket in the
direction of travel there is always some as there are rubber buffers in there to
take the shock out of the chain drive.
That's what I thought too. I had it up on the stand and adjusted the chain yesterday, gave it all a good wiggle around, everything seems to be tight.

Also, as It's only got 3,500 miles on the clock too, I'd be surprised if the cush drives are going yet. I'd expect 15,000 miles out of those, minimum.

Dazzor - it might be the clutch. I have maybe developed a slightly aggressive style of pulling away, to avoid the dreaded 'you know what' that everyone is fed up with me yapping about. Still doing it, by the way. I can rev through the cough 99% of the time, but if I'm not concentrating it will still stall on me.

It's booked in for Thursday morning to have this latest problem looked at, I have asked them to look at the stalling as well, for what it's worth. Will let you all know what happens.

da1kini

That's what I thought too. I had it up on the stand and adjusted the chain yesterday, gave it all a good wiggle around, everything seems to be tight.

Also, as It's only got 3,500 miles on the clock too, I'd be surprised if the cush drives are going yet. I'd expect 15,000 miles out of those, minimum.

Dazzor - it might be the clutch. I have maybe developed a slightly aggressive style of pulling away, to avoid the dreaded 'you know what' that everyone is fed up with me yapping about. Still doing it, by the way. I can rev through the cough 99% of the time, but if I'm not concentrating it will still stall on me.

It's booked in for Thursday morning to have this latest problem looked at, I have asked them to look at the stalling as well, for what it's worth. Will let you all know what happens.
wow, feel sry for you mate, you seem to have got the short end of the stick with your bike :((

sdrio

OK, so just an update. It went back to the dealer to be checked.

I have absolutely no idea what they were actually trying to say, but the diagnosis seemed to be that it's a common problem with Yamaha cross plane engines, that not enough oil gets to the clutch. Hmm. OK then.

The solution, which they carried out, is to change the oil. Unfortunately, this seems to be incorrect, as it's still doing it.

So, not sure where we go from here. I know a few of you don't like anyone complaining about the MT07, but I'm obviously going to have to take it back again and I'll post results in this thread.

Kevinb111

Mine does the same. Only when cold and only since its first service.
Doesn't seem to cause any other problems so I have learned to live with it. Still got 20 months of warranty left so I am not bothered (Yet!)

D

Deleted member 20

I would argue that full synth Jaso MA or MA2 oil normally DOES NOT cause that symptom. But Jaso MB oils would, as well as car oils. Regardless of synth, blend or mineral.

xt660isgood2

This is certainly take it to the dealer time, but wonder if anyone has ever had this difficult to describe problem.

When I leave the bike for a while, then get on and pull away, if I'm anything but super gentle, something 'slips' in the drivetrain. It just does it once, and it only seems to do it after the bike has been left - example, it has done it every morning for the past few days.

It doesn;t do it immediately every time, sometimes it's as I pull off, another time it did it at the roundabout about half a mile into my journey.

It's hard to describe - it's like say if the sprocket was loose, or the chain was slipping. I've checked everything I can see, and adjusted the chain. No difference.

I also wondered if it could be something to do with the clutch? Would make sense, if there was an issue with a plate sticking or something, you would get the little jolt as it worked itself free. Would explain why it only did it once, and only from cold.

I'll book it into the dealers anyway, just curious to know if anyone else had ever had this happen.
Feel sorry for you. There's obviously an issue with your particular bike here. Just a thought? (And I don't know your situation..do you need bike daily to commute etc?)
But Is it worth leaving bike at dealers over night and surely 1st thing in the morning they should be able to re-produce fault? In mean time borrow one of their bikes for a few days? (Pref another MT to feel the difference)
They have a duty of care to sell you something that actually works. I would be starting to get a bit p$$t off by now and even thinking of going down the road of a replacement if its not sorted soon.
As said above, Your clutch theory may hold a bit of water, what with the stalling issue? Good luck and hope you get it sorted

sdrio

Feel sorry for you. There's obviously an issue with your particular bike here. Just a thought? (And I don't know your situation..do you need bike daily to commute etc?)
But Is it worth leaving bike at dealers over night and surely 1st thing in the morning they should be able to re-produce fault? In mean time borrow one of their bikes for a few days? (Pref another MT to feel the difference)
They have a duty of care to sell you something that actually works. I would be starting to get a bit p$$t off by now and even thinking of going down the road of a replacement if its not sorted soon.
As said above, Your clutch theory may hold a bit of water, what with the stalling issue? Good luck and hope you get it sorted
I did, they had it for 2 days. He said one of the mechanics took it home, but didn't experience the problem.

Of course the oil explanation is moot - he changed the oil, but it hasn't solved it.

I still have no idea what it is either. I keep trying to come up with a good explanation - the best I can do is to say imagine the tyre was briefly slipping on the rim, it feels like that, but there's a definite mechanical graunch as well, so it probably is the clutch. I can't think of anything else that would produce those symptoms.

The dealer is ignoring me at the moment, but I'll take it back again. I have to pull away firmly to stop it stalling, but this problem means I have to pull away gently. It's almost unrideable from a strict safety sense.

I have a spare scooter, I can manage for a while without the MT07. I think it's time to stop moaning and get it sorted. Thanks as always for all your comments.

Gaz2212

sdrio

You are far too patient, your bike obviously has issues, nobody likes backward and forward to the dealer moaning. Personally I would now be taking this up with Yamaha direct reporting that you are not getting anywhere with your dealer and also threaten to go legal, your bike is clearly not fit for purpose and should be replaced or refunded

I would not have the patience that you are giving them, you bought the bike to ride and enjoy not to have continual problems with

Just my thoughts, good luck

Gaz

sdrio

Mine does the same. Only when cold and only since its first service.
Doesn't seem to cause any other problems so I have learned to live with it. Still got 20 months of warranty left so I am not bothered (Yet!)
OK, well I'll post any more findings here.

I'd agree it's liveable with, but my concern is that it could either cause an accident or trash something expensive in the engine. If I know about it and choose to ride the bike anyway, it's going to be my responsibility.

Ho hum.

sdrio

sdrio

You are far too patient, your bike obviously has issues, nobody likes backward and forward to the dealer moaning. Personally I would now be taking this up with Yamaha direct reporting that you are not getting anywhere with your dealer and also threaten to go legal, your bike is clearly not fit for purpose and should be replaced or refunded

I would not have the patience that you are giving them, you bought the bike to ride and enjoy not to have continual problems with

Just my thoughts, good luck

Gaz
Thanks. You've said exactly what I think.

D

Deleted member 20

Soulds like clutch slipping can be the thing. Are you sure you have enough free slack/play in the wire/lever when clutch is un-engaged? Does the free play change when you turn handlebars from full stop left to full stop right? Do you have free play in any position of the bars?

Do you know exactly what oil you are currently using? If not, make sure you get that data. All details please - brand, type, spec, etc.

Personally, I would drop the current oil in a clean pan and save it for later use and/or further forensic work.
Then re-fill with another 10w40 MA2 spec oil from a different brand, you can buy the cheapest mineral or semi-synth oil you find for this test (I get 4 L semi-synth for 22 € in Sweden).

Then test ride and see if it change things. And go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdrio

Soulds like clutch slipping can be the thing. Are you sure you have enough free slack/play in the wire/lever when clutch is un-engaged? Does the free play change when you turn handlebars from full stop left to full stop right? Do you have free play in any position of the bars?

Do you know exactly what oil you are currently using? If not, make sure you get that data. All details please - brand, type, spec, etc.

Personally, I would drop the current oil in a clean pan and save it for later use and/or further forensic work.
Then re-fill with another 10w40 MA2 spec oil from a different brand, you can buy the cheapest superstore mineral or semi-synth oil you find for this test. Then test ride and see if it change things. And go from there.
Thanks a lot.

I'm not sure what oil was used, the dealer did it last week. In fact what happened was he accidentally did a full service on it - I booked it in to have the faults looked at, the mechanic got the idea it was in for a service and did one. They were absolutely straight about not charging for it though, when I pointed out I hadn't booked it in for a service. Anyway, it would be rude to complain that I got a free service, wouldn't it? :D

I'm sparing some of the gory details in this whole story, it has become something of a comedy of errors.

What I've done is asked them to take it back again. I think they should have the chance to sort it out, although I'm pessimistic.

Meanwhile I sincerely appreciate your advice.

Yaminator

I have this same problem too and i think that the clutch plates were never soaked in oil prior to installation as it i should of been?.

Or its just a design fault being a more compact one..??

Last edited:

sdrio

I have this same problem too and i think that the clutch plates were never soaked in oil prior to installation as it i should of been?.

Or its just a design fault being a more compact one..??
I never got right to the bottom of the problem, there was no 'smoking gun', but it looks like I got it solved by doing exactly that - strip down the clutch, dunk everything in oil, and reassemble it.

The only thing I could see that would explain it is that the plates were a bit dry, so it can only be that.

Having said this, I only sorted it out 3 days ago, so it's not 100% guaranteed. I have deliberately been hooning it away from the lights where sensible though, and so far it hasn't done what it would normally do so it's looking good.

If you want to have a try and would like a to do list, let me know. It's an hour or two's work, with simple tools.

Yaminator

Keep me updated sdrio please mate, as i might well do this myself.. ;)

or just tie the clutch lever back lean the bike over momentarily & leave overnight....??

dfl05

sdrio do you have an update to your problem? How did it go longer term? Has the issue come back? I am having that same problem.