Security chains

Dave_M

Hi

Newbie alert! I collect my new Yamaha MT07 this Saturday. This is my first bike at the tender age of 48 - my midlife crisis according to my wife!

I'm going to be using it to commute to the station daily through the summer, so I need a good lock to keep it secure. Looking at the Thatcham approved Oxford Hard Core XL, but the question is will 1.2m be long enough or should I get the 1.5m version? I'm hoping to be able to chain the front wheel to a lamp post, so needs to be long enough for that.

I know they're pretty heavy, but I'm getting a top box so I'll keep it in that whilst I'm riding.

Thanks
Dave

sdrio

Get the long one, you can always wrap it around something twice, but it gives you more scope if parkng is awkward and you need to be further from a solid object.

Whichever one you get will be a pain in the arse to lug about, the long one is only 20% more of a pain.

(Edit) just a thought - have you looked at the Abus victory? It's a disk lock, but is shaped so you can use it with an optional chain. It's a bit more versatile, even though it looks like a butt plug.

Last edited:

Scim77

I agree about getting the longer chain to give you more scope. Cut a piece of rope to 1.5m and practice with it in situ. That will help you decide the length and orientation of the bike relative to the lamp post.
It is a known fact that thieves dislike having to grapple with rear wheel issues and are more likely to have a go at removing the front wheel. So the best security chain device should be fitted to the rear wheel and frame/swing arm, plus a lighter conspicuous disc lock on the front wheel. Hopefully the rascals will then look elsewhere for an easier steal.

addy

Do not buy Oxford chains or any other chain you can get at a bike shop as they are all garbage, over hardened till they become brittle and can easily be cropped.

Either go to Almax Security Chains Limited | Almax Security Chains or Sold Secure Approved & Police Approved Ground Anchors, Security Chains and more - Buy from the Manufacturer and pick up a 16mm chain, if this is too heavy for you to carry round then get the 13mm from security for bikes as even that is far stronger than any oxford chains. Also don't chain the front wheel chain the back wheel as it's far harder to take off and then use a disk lock on the front wheel.

robodene

There is a useful hole in the off side swing arm you might be able to use. If you use a disk lock, I recommend a string between it and handlebar to remind you it's in place....

Simoncrp

Although having a chain is still not thief proof. When i got back to my bike today at the end of the day, the guy parked next to me had the lock on his chain filled with glue! He had a Street Triple
I assume they were hoping he would leave the bike overnight and then they could throw it in the back of a van
Poor guy had to pay £100 for a locksmith to cut the chain off.

Dave_M

Thanks for all the comments so far. Hadn't expected this to be such a minefield! Looks like I might need to up my budget a bit. Cost of the bike was now just the start! By the time I've added top box, crash bobbins, decent lock, new helmet (current one from when I last had a scooter is about 12 years old), boots (bought before DAS), trousers, jacket..... lol!

Dave

sdrio

Thanks for all the comments so far. Hadn't expected this to be such a minefield! Looks like I might need to up my budget a bit. Cost of the bike was now just the start! By the time I've added top box, crash bobbins, decent lock, new helmet (current one from when I last had a scooter is about 12 years old), boots (bought before DAS), trousers, jacket..... lol!

Dave
Even so.

I did the maths because my Mrs was starting to sound dubious about the number of bikes I have. To run an MT07 and an R1, including all fuel/insurance/tax costs, £500/year for each for tyres/servicing/parts etc, I even amortised my Rukka gear over 4 years, still costs £40/month less than a season ticket from zone 5 where I live.

It also saves me somewhere between 5 and 10 hours a week commuting time. Pretty much a whole working day a week.

The elephant in the room is finance cost - I haven't included that as mine are both paid for, but even considering that you're getting your bike for your monthly payment, less whatever your equivalent of £40 turns out to be. At the end of the term it's yours and you're saving money and have a valuable asset.

Man maths - it can be a beautiful thing.

robodene

And then there's the 'value' of all the fun of riding. I no longer particularly enjoy driving (after years of great enthusiam), but being out on the bike is something else.

sdrio

And then there's the 'value' of all the fun of riding. I no longer particularly enjoy driving (after years of great enthusiam), but being out on the bike is something else.
That's actually the answer. My Mrs might think I waste money on biking, but at the end of the day it's my hobby and she understands I would be miserable having to take the train, and being stuck with the car.

I'm with you, I have been a petrolhead since I was 5, and was a fiend for driving anything I could get my hands on. Now I am so intolerant of traffic in a car (especially living in London), I only ever take the car if there's no other choice.

addy

That's actually the answer. My Mrs might think I waste money on biking, but at the end of the day it's my hobby and she understands I would be miserable having to take the train, and being stuck with the car.

I'm with you, I have been a petrolhead since I was 5, and was a fiend for driving anything I could get my hands on. Now I am so intolerant of traffic in a car (especially living in London), I only ever take the car if there's no other choice.
I get a buzz out of riding in London, filtering through traffic and finding those paths that lead you through! lol

Simoncrp

I get a buzz out of riding in London, filtering through traffic and finding those paths that lead you through! lol
I don't want to be the depressing guy, but after seeing a pretty bad accident this morning where a biker hit a tree on a quiet 'ish' street and him being operated on in the middle of the road, it does make you think twice when going for ride.