Scorpion or Akrapovic?

Akrapovic or Scorpion?

• Total voters

CVSensei

Instant thoughts? I was going to fork out for an Akrapovic until i noticed the Scorpion which is far cheaper and i personally prefer the look of it.

Not looking for extra power as I have to keep it in line with A2 restriction, I just want a sexy growl. Any scorpion owners (preferably that have heard both in person) out there who can help make up my mind?

Also does anybody know if they are compatible with the Ermax Belly Pan?

da1kini

I think you can get an akra titanium for almost the same price these days. Unless you opt for the laser engraved version.

When it comes to looks there really is no comparison for me, cause all other systems doesn't follow the bikes line as the akra does. At least that what I think.

I know the akra is compatible with the yamaha belly pan and I do think I have seen one with ermax belly pan fitted as well.

For me it was an easy choice. Got the akra titanium for €790 installed and the CAT uninstalled but included in the price.

CVSensei

Could you please link me to where you got it from? Cheapest I found was around 1000 Euros!

I did agree completely but the scorpion does follow the form of the bike just as well in my eyes..

scorpion-exhaust-yamaha-mt-07-14-serket-taper-system-mt07-[2]-2813-p.jpg

But if you're sure that you can find one at nearly the same price then I'll definitely go with the Akra. Do you have the DB Killer out as well?

D

Deleted member 20

Personally, I think the looks of the downpipes and number of pieces tubing you have to put together with rubber-covered springs before coming to the silencer make up for a big part of the over all look.
Akra Ti. Downpipe looks good, option to fit CAT is good.
Yoshi: Best looking highly polished and bent downpipes welded together. My favo I think.
Mivv: Good looking downpipes, but too many springs. Still ok.
Scorpion, SC Projects and some others have simple straight downpipes that come in many pieces you have to spring together. Looks budget to me.

View attachment 1586
View attachment 1587

CVSensei

Oooh that MIVV actually looks really nice.. Only saw the upright position one before. Arghhhh too much choice!!

Anders do you have an aftermarket exhaust yourself?

D

Deleted member 20

Mivv Suono Carbon on the TDM900A. Not yet on the MT07A

CVSensei

Ahh see I have some level of urgency, I've been told by my dealer that I can have a pipe fitted before i put any miles on it. Otherwise I would have waited to get past the 600 mile mark. And I'm supposed to be picking it up in 20 das! :)

D

Deleted member 20

Our MT07A is already a year old, booked the order last days of December 2013. So we are slow on deciding here.

Noggie

For me it was an easy choice. Got the akra titanium for €790 installed and the CAT uninstalled but included in the price.
Any idea how much more sound you get from no cat ?

I have mine installed, like the sound it makes now.
But I have been thinking about removing it to see how that is.
Also like the look without the baffle better, that big open hole rather than the two smaller pipes, but I think that will be too loud.

Gaz2212

Noggie, i tried my akra with all combinations, for me with or without the cat did not make much difference to the sound, decided to run with the cat to keep things correct with the engine, not sure if this makes adifference to the engine but akra site says not street legal without the cat fitted and yamaha site somewhere mentions this i think.
Ran without the baffle fitted for about a month, was just too loud to the point you had all the booming and droning noise inside yout helmet
Refitted the baffle then found all was just to calm, the best compromise i have found, on the inside of the baffle i cut the internal pipes down roughly 40mm each. You will see on the baffle the 2 internal pipes have a small flare to go over the 2 pipes inside the main exhaust, this is where i cut plus 10mm
This i found was the best compromise for me, hope this helps someway, sorry cant do a sound vid as my bike is having the suspension reworked at the minute

CVSensei

Thanks for that Gaz, do you happen to know if making that mod will invalidate warranty? I presume so.. My dealer said the warranty won't be affected if i had the full system but I imagine changing that will ruin it.. Looks like the Scorpion for me if so!

Gaz2212

think it depends on your relationship with your dealer, my dealer fitted my exhaust on first service with baffle out so they were not that concerned about fitting to manufaturer spec, if all else fails i will get a new baffle dealer quoted me 38 quid fo this so not the end of the world

CVSensei

Sweet as a nut! Didn't realise it was that cheap.. Swinging back over to the Akra now. Bollocks to my indecision!!! :mad:

addy

Had the same with my dealer, baffle was out when I collected it and had to ask for them to find it lol. I was also told that I wouldn't need a cat and they printed this on the invoice.

Having the baffle out is fun for a couple rides but its way too loud, the mod that Gaz mentioned is a good compromise.

CVSensei

What would i need to carry out that mod? I have little experience with bike mechanics and don't own any related power tools..

addy

What would i need to carry out that mod? I have little experience with bike mechanics and don't own any related power tools..
I used a dremel to cut the pipes but you could also just pick up a hack saw and do it, might take a little while or see if there are any local companies that can do it for a couple quid. Cutting the pipes is the easy part just draw a line at 4-4.5 cm and cut the hard part is getting the baffle out, I had to take my bike back to the dealer for them to remove it and they had such a hard time they took the exhaust off to push it out from the inside.

Have a look at this video as it shows you the easiest way to remove it before installing the exhaust.
[video=youtube;JNHwi1EqR_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNHwi1EqR_M[/video]

CVSensei

I see! Definitely achievable then. I'm at work so I can't check out the video yet. I take it then that its just as much of a pain putting it back in should i change my mind?