Rust Dripping from my throttle body.....?

Yaminator

I noticed the other day a rust puddle forming on the plastics (side of tank) under the throttle twist grip when parked up, so i looked up and thought one of the screws must be going rusty........???

So with further investigation i removed the screws from the throttle twist grip they seemed to be normal so i then investigated to further and took apart the whole unit
then i found that the handlebars are not made of alloy and all the rust was coming from inside the throttle grip handlebar.
Anyway a little clean up was in order. But all this time i thought my bars were alloy... :(

Ps: i do like to clean my bike on a regular basis.......

Last edited:

Scim77

Can I clarify your description here? The throttle bodies are mounted on to the cylinder head. I presume you are referring to the handlebar twist-grip.

Simoncrp

I just noticed that the hexagonal screw shaped indentation in the side of the throttle twist drip is yellow with rust and my bike is only 2.5 months old.
I wonder if it's rusty underneath.

Yaminator

Just take it apart & check it out because if you leave it, it will start getting difficult to twist...

I ended up spraying mine in the end just the part where it got rusty.... ;)

sdrio

Almost everybody seems to have had the dreaded rust in the bar end, but have not seen this one before.

When it's cleaned up, splosh some ACF50 in there. It's good stuff.

Noggie

I had a small amount of rust in the bar end Hex too.
My bike has been ridden in rain once, and was washed 3 times last year.
I did have the bar ends off when installing the heated grips, but I feel some of the build quality on this bike should have been better.

I gave it a squirt of CRC 5-56.... WD-40 stuff.

Was looking around on ebay and might end up getting some fancy coloured bar end weights :)

Yaminator

Just to clarify guys..
The rust where it gets to be a problem is under the switch gear throttle side,
What happens is that rust starts to drip down off the clamp bolts onto the body work because its collected overtime between the throttle tube and exposed metal of the handlebar...
The bar end rust is the norm for most..