Quick shifter

shadowmonkey

Been thinking about getting a quick shifter and would like some opinions on this, pros/cons. The one I have seen is the healtech quick shifter.

D

Deleted member 20

Might be a fun toy but is it really needed? Never used one but here is my take on it.

Pros:
Possibly some 1/100 s faster lap times.

Cons:
Only works for upshifts, right?
You can already shift up without using clutch by letting the throttle off a bit manually, this is not hard to do.
You still need to use the clutch for downshifts, there is no auto-throttle-blipping feature in this product, right?
It costs money to buy.
It takes time to install.

Personally I would rather spend my money on a slipper clutch for smoother downshifts, avoiding rear wheel lock up / hopping, over revvin the engine etc. I see a slipper clutch as both a performance and safety feature, specially in wet conditions.
On the other hand, learning how to properly blip your downshifts when riding agressively is a good and fun skill to posess.

Eddieh93

And30ers is right is it really worth it? I love riding aggressively, with the blip of the throttle on the down shift it gives you such a good felling, I love riding this motorbike!!! Can you tell?

I'm assuming your not a complete novice at riding shadowmonkey, if you cant blip the throttle, learn it's 100% cheaper and you get a better sense of accomplishment.

shadowmonkey

I have been able to ride clutch less for the up shift for a few years now however for the downshift I still have to really think about revs and speed when doing so but it can be done.
I to like to blip the throttle when changing down as I like the sound when doing so.
I suppose what's got me on this subject is that I have been looking at the tuono v4 aprc and bmw s1000r and loving the sound and ease of use, so I was thinking about getting a quick shift instead of a new bike. [emoji41] (don't tell the misses though) [emoji56]

Last edited:

rappetor

I have the Healtech Quickshifter installed, and.. it's FREAKING AWESOME! :D

No seriously, next to the exhaust the best mod to really 'enhance/improve' your fun in riding. It really adds to the whole experience. Prepare to loose your license though, hehe. It's really addicting accelerating full speed, shifting up really quick. And it sounds awesome as well.

It's not -that- expensive, and pretty straight forward to install. However, you need to setup everything (via bluetooth and the Android app), because it's a generic quickshifter that can be used with all kind of motorcycles. You can see this as a bit of a negative because there are so many options, it takes a long time before you get the right settings for smooth shifting. And you need to set them right, otherwise things can go wrong for yout gearbox quite fast!
The Healtech only works based on revs, it does not take the different gears into account. So you are always working with an 'average', which makes smooth shifting in -all- gears difficult. But.. for street riding you need to keep the cut-off times (the ignition cut off) a bit higher anyway, also to avoid mis-shifts and false neutrals which might hurt your gearbox! (a guy at dutch forums used too low cut-off times for this 4 cil Suzuki, and he killed his gearbox when he was near the redline and had a mis-shift, so something to keep in mind).
Also, use the quickshifter in the higher revs and when giving enough throttle (3/4 to full throttle preferably). And also don't be too soft on the gear lever, up-shift with enough power and confidence. The faster you do it (within limits ovbiously) the better it works.

All in all it's a great mod and a lot of fun. I figured out some good settings, so if you decide to install it I can show you my settings (so you don't have to search and go through the whole trial and error thing -> your gearbox will probably thank you :) ).

But! Obviously I'm biased :p I'm riding with it for six months now and almost can't imagine riding without a QS anymore now. It's something I certainly want on my next motorcycle as well, perhaps even before another exhaust..
Downshift blipper would be awesome as well, but I guess we have to wait a bit longer for that. But in the meantime I still love doing that myself :)

Last edited:

shadowmonkey

I have the Healtech Quickshifter installed, and.. it's FREAKING AWESOME! :D
YES the healtech quickshifter is what I have been looking at!
Did it take you a while to setup?
If you don't mind when it's installed I may need to ask for your setup so that I can see where and how the Rev ranges are set.

rappetor

Install wasn't hard. I took my time though, removed the fairing and the tank so I could reach the coils more easy (the manual for the MT-07 states they just remove the right tank fairing and access the coils from there, but you need tiiiiiny hands for that :)). And with the tank off it's more easy routing the wires to the back nicely.
Also wanted to tie up the wires at the coils nicely (which took time because you can't reach anything down there), don't want those wires to hit your fan or something! :p

Installing the sensor isn't hard as well (I placed it like they do in this manual (under the bolt of shift arm), also tried another position 'in the push rod' as they call it, but that didn't work too well). And make sure you don't tighten the bolt too much, the sensor does not like that! 5 Nm max. So use some Loctite to make sure you don't loose that bolt :D
Edit, oh yeah.. if || is the sensor, place the rounded rings like this: (||)
Was a bit confusing at first, when you see it now it makes sense! :)

Once everything is connected the real work starts: download latest app + firmware, connect to the device and set everything up! Important is the sensor threshold (the amount of force you have to apply before it cuts the ignition for the quick shift).
I was a bit lucky, someone with a SV650 shared his experiences with me. So I had some indication of what a good setting (cut off times) for a 2 cil was (longer than 4-cil engines). Still it took a lot of time before I finally found a setup I feel comfortable with. Everything sort of works together, there is the sensor threshold, a cut off delay, the cut off itself based on 9 different rev ranges (those are based on what you setup to be the lowest revs from which the QS is allowed to work up to the redline, 10k rpm with the MT07).

But to give an indication, my rev range is from 4k to 10k rpm, I use a cut-off delay of 15 ms, at the start of 4k rpm I use a cut-off of 115ms and at 10k I have a cut-off of 95ms (every two rev ranges I step down 5 ms). This works quite smooth through all the gears if I accellerate quickly (3/4 to full throttle), especially at the high revs.

Last edited:

shadowmonkey

Well I did it, went and brought one. Extremely easy to install, had five mins on it and I tell you its fooking awesome. I love the app as I have looked at your setup (if I read you right) and you can just save it in a file and upload it when you want, so you could have a number of files (like race or road) its just that simple cannot wait to get out at the weekend with it. :cool:

rappetor

Yeah, it's great to have multiple setups which you can change almost on the fly. Great if you do some track days for example. Just too bad the exports cannot be shared between users/units (we tried that at the dutch forums, no luck :) ).

But! I can post a screenshot here of my current settings which are good for me (maybe you like them and otherwise they are a good starting point at least):
MT07_Healtech_QS_Settings.jpg

The sensor sensitivity changes a lot per setup, so you need to find that one yourself (my normal shift up gives a reading of 21-25, so I ended up using 9 which is a bit higher than the recommended value given by the app).

Anyway (don't want to sound like a broken record): don't go too low with the cut off times (rather a bit too high than a little bit too low), and don't be kind when shifting up -> give enough force quickly enough and keep the pressure on for a little while (as in, not just 'tap' but a little longer). All to avoid mis-shifts (it can agressively jump back a gear or go in a false neutral and then jump back) which apparently is not too healthy for the gearbox. Had a few of those (when going over a bump at the same time), didn't feel too good :( Now all solved with a little higher sensor threshold, cut-off delay and a more 'dedicated' up-shift by me.
Also needs a bit getting used to how much throttle is needed at what rpm for smooth shifts (too relaxed does not work, needs a bit of grunt :p).

Anyway, once you find a setup to your liking it's highly (highly!) addicting. Not good for the fuel effeciency/mpg though :D

shadowmonkey

Thats how I read it, my sensor threshold is set at 5.

I did try it at 2k - 10k default setup and seemed to change gears good as well. Will try your at the weekend. :D N1 thanks for your time to post your settings.

Phil_B

Interesting thread! I've considered getting one of these for my triumph (they're plug and play) as I've heard they're a good laugh!

Also a big fan of the blipped downshift. Not as easy on the MT as some other bikes as lots of engine breaking and not the closest ratios.

shadowmonkey

Just a little note, when connecting the app make sure the kill switch set to run as well, as I spent bloody hours wondering and checking why it wouldn't work. Arrhh [emoji15]

rappetor

Makes sense, because where do you think it gets its power from? :p

Did have that moment myself (although it is somewhere in the manual, but who reads that thing after checking images and the YouTube video :) ), luckily I tried the kill switch quite fast so didn't spent too much time on it. But I can imagine the confusion and you really start wondering 'wtf is wrong here! ' after checking the wires etc for the fifth time :D

89draqie

I just installed the HealTech QS a few days ago, took quite some time of tinkering to get it right. I first overtightened the sensor (be careful with it, tighten by hand and then 1/4 of a turn with wrench) on the shift lever and that can fuck up the readings quite a bit. I actually ended up putting an extra washer under the sensor because it was too sensitive but the bolt almost loose. Now it's perfect, it's tight enough to not fall off but not too sensitivy, using 30-40% treshold now. You can play a lot with the cut-off times, I noticed you can't set it up for both partial and full-throttle, they just differ too much in time and engine braking so it's hard to get it perfect. But I have to say I'm still impressed with how smooth it shift even at low rev ranges (4-6K) if you found the sweet spot setting for that amount of throttle. Bike sounds brilliant from it, you get nearly instant shifts.

The settings above is a good starting point, but you have to fine tune it for your own specific bike and style. It's definitely worth the 300 EU , I bought it specificly for commuting everyday to work, it's so much more comfortable to shift effortlessly. Lovely stuff!