Pyramid Plastics Colour match?

Gee

Any one got anything 'White' from them?

Thinking of getting a hugger and was wondering how close their white is to the standard MT white?

Don't want to spend £50 more for a fake carbon looking one unless I really have to.

Scim77

I bought a white Ermax hugger from Pyramid Plastics by mistake - I had intended to get the Pyramid one. However, it gave me chance to compare it against my white bike and I can confirm that the Ermax is a slightly different shade of white. I never got to see the white Pyramid hugger. I decided to avoid the risk and splashed out the extra £50 for the carbon one.
I found Pyramid to be very obliging and helpful and am sure that they will sort out an exchange, if you did not like the item when you received it.

Noggie

paint will typically never match 100% unless it is mixed in the same batch.
But it has to be quite different to actually be visible, it's easier if the parts are right next too each other like I.e the bonnet and wing on a car.

If you plan on getting a hugger it will be so far away from the other white parts any minor difference will be hard to spot.

I have a race red bike, I got the hugger and undepanel from ermax, and no, it's not a perfect match, it's close, but you can spot the difference when the parts are held close to the tank. The biggest difference is that the Yamaha colour has a very slight metallic effect, very small, only visible in direct sunlight and if I use my detainers inspection light. The ermax is a flat red.

I also added some vinyl wrap to my bike, again a shade that is not the same as the tank, or the ermax parts, it's a tad more orange, but because of the distance between the parts it's hard to spot without scrutinizing the bike.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that pyramid would have to have messed up really bad for any colour difference to show up.

Here is my bike with. 3 shades of red :) can you tell?

Edit: Actually 4 shades with the rim tape
image.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Gaz2212

Scim77, dont forget your bike is not the standard yamaha white, completely repainted. By the way are you still enjoying it

Scim77

Scim77, dont forget your bike is not the standard yamaha white, completely repainted. By the way are you still enjoying it
Hi Gaz. Thanks for reminding me. You are absolutely right and I had forgotten that. Maybe you could pm me sometime with my actual paint code, which will be handy for touching in stone chips.
I really enjoy the bike and still cannot resist going for a ride even if the weather is damp and murky. Of course that creates a lot more work cleaning afterwards (hence the hugger) but every ride is such fun and rewarding. Lighter Maxton springs have married the bike to my weight. I have already changed the oil three times! Odo is showing nearly 6k now, and its all pleasure riding!
Kind regards.

bhd

Hi,
I've just fitted the Pyramid Plastics matte gray, and I have to say that while the hugger is a thing of beauty in itself, the colour match isn't great, it's quite a bit more silvery than the bike. However, as Noggie says, (a) it's only really noticeable if you're holding the hugger against the tank, and (b) it's going to be covered in crud by 7:15 tomorrow morning, and how it performs is (for me) much more important than how it looks.

You know what Billy Connelly says about being left in a room alone with a teacosy? Huggers have the same effect on me :eek:)

Simoncrp

Bhd, which hugger did you get? Pyramid's own or Ermax? What's the difference between the Matte Grey and the carbon fibre one? Lastly, did you fit it yourself? If yes, how complicated is it?

bhd

Pyramid's own - this one Pyramid Plastics Online - Yamaha MT07 / FZ07 Matt Grey Hugger 2014 -

I don't know about the carbon version, but fitting this was (I am told!) dead easy! It comes with instructions, but two things to note are that on the chain side, the original fitting uses collars around the bolts, but those collars aren't required for the new fitting.

On the right-hand side, the new hugger actually mounts to a different point to the original, so don't be alarmed by the fact that the holes are in different places. The new hugger bolts underneath the bracket on the top of the swinging arm which holds the brake and abs pipes. Unbolt that and lift it to find two holes, one of which is a locator for the bracket, and the other is used for the hugger.

And my remark about tea cosies above would have made more sense if my profile picture had uploaded...

Scim77

The carbon one is also dead easy to fit. It is structurally stronger than the original Yamaha one and only needs the single fixing on the right side swing arm, underneath the brake line guide. No need for the collars either, as bhd explains. It definitely reduces the amount of mucky spray landing on the rear spring and suspension pivots, forward of the rear wheel.

Refer to the thread entitled "Mud and muck everywhere" for some more info and good photos.

http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/mt-07-fz-07-general-discussion/1489-mud-muck-rear-wheel-hugger-5.html