Paulie's FZ-07 SP: MotoGP Edition

pgeldz

I finally finished my naked race bike project!

After countless livery designs, I finally came up with something that embodies that naked race bike look I wanted, while still maintaining a sense of streetfighter to it. I decided to pay homage to Yamaha's outstanding start to this years' MotoGP season and based my livery design around the 2015 Movistar Yamaha M1 MotoGP bike.

My apologies for the crappy cell phone pics, but I wanted to get this project on record before I go out and wreck it (trackday weekend next weekend) LOL!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

PERFORMANCE:
Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust
DynoJet Power Commander V
DNA Air Filter
DNA Stage 2 Air Box Cover
EBC EPFA Front Brake Pads
Goodridge Shadow Brake Lines
Motul 300V 4T Factory Line Road Racing oil (10w40)
DID ERV3 520 Chain
Renthal 520 Front Sprocket 16T (OEM size)
Vortex 520 Steel Rear Sprocket 45T (+2)
Dunlop Q3 Tires

SUSPENSION:
Traxxion Dynamics AK20 Fork Conversion
Traxxion Dynamics Spec Penske 8987 Triple Adjustable Rear Shock w/Remote Reservoir and custom Black powder coated Hyperco Spring
Ballistic Fabrication Shock Reservoir Mount

CONTROLS:
Suburban Machinery Handlebars
CRG Arrow Bar End Mirrors
ASV C/5 Clutch lever
ASV C/5 Brake lever
Yamaha OEM 2006 Throttle Tube
Yamaha OEM 2006 R6 Grips
Gilles Tooling Rearsets

LIGHTING:
Barracuda Silur LED Indicators
Barracuda Indicator Brackets
Barracuda Indicator Cables
Custom LED ELFR-1 Electronic LED Flasher Relay
Sylvania SilverStar zXe headlight
Philips 4000K T10 running light

ACCESSORIES:
Yamaha Seat Cowl
Yamaha Lower Sub Cowl
Yamaha UK Billet Radiator Side Covers
Yamaha UK OEM Pivot Covers
R&G Aero Crash Protectors
R&G Engine Case Covers
R&G Fork Protectors
R&G Spindle Sliders w/OES Internally Threaded Rod and Hardware
R&G Radiator Guard
R&G Foot Rest Blanking Plates
Ermax Undertail w/integrated Fender Eliminator

AESTHETICS:
Powder Coated Side Covers Matte Black
Powder Coated Kickstand Support Matte Black
Powder Coated R&G Foot Rest Blanking Plates Matte Black
Powder Coated Ballistic Fabrication Shock Reservoir Mount Matte Black
Reflectors Removed
Movistar MotoGP Livery design by me
Paintwork by Jason
Graphics by Greg Lilly of Underground Graphics Houston, TX

:)

- Paulie

jeppebm

I want the handle bars!! - Which one from the homepage is that? - the homepage of Suburban Machinery is very poor! But i like the look of those VERY much! - Is it possible to see you pose on it gripping the bars?

Im really into those handlebars! The M1 ducati model - found the answer.

Im european - i would end up paying 60% of the bars price in shipping and taxes here in Denmark. Waaay too expensive.

SADFACE NOW

Overall great look!!

Last edited:

Alex_AC

I want the handle bars!! - Which one from the homepage is that? - the homepage of Suburban Machinery is very poor! But i like the look of those VERY much! - Is it possible to see you pose on it gripping the bars?

Im really into those handlebars! The M1 ducati model - found the answer.

Im european - i would end up paying 60% of the bars price in shipping and taxes here in Denmark. Waaay too expensive.

SADFACE NOW

Overall great look!!
i've searched in ebay for handlebars like those and i've been unable to find them so far, if anyone finds them at a "nice" price please please please post it!

Paulie, that's a great great great great looking bike. The only thing I'd change would be the mirrors, i like them the standard way. But it's a minor thing, you've accomplished an awsome look!

Noggie

While the bike looks great, and I have to admitt it does look great,
You are essentially a free advertising billboard, and personally I would never drive around advertising some huge company for free.
BUT, thats my personal opinion, and does not change the fact that the bike looks great :)

Only thing I find a bit off is the instrument cluster, its just sticking up to much.

pgeldz

Dare I ask the price tag for that little lot
Ha! I dunno. I don't want to add it up cause I'll probably get sick, lol.

You are essentially a free advertising billboard, and personally I would never drive around advertising some huge company for free.
BUT, thats my personal opinion, and does not change the fact that the bike looks great :)

Only thing I find a bit off is the instrument cluster, its just sticking up to much.

I can appreciate that, but I'd think you'd be advertising with any replica graphics package. It's not unlike some of the Yamaha special editions of the past, or the Repsol Honda CBR1000RR sold at present, but I know what you mean.

As for the cluster, it's not actually any higher than stock, it's just that the bars and bar end mirrors are lower :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Looks like it could be a factory Yamaha racing effort, which is exactly what I was going for :)

I have a professional photo shoot planned in the coming weeks to really highlight the details my phone's camera can't capture :)

- Paulie

sdrio

Talking of which, don't you find it slightly annoying when the place you buy it from decide to plaster their name all over it?

Mine came with the name and phone number of the dealer stuck to the front mudguard. I have it scraped off before I drove away from the dealers.

Noggie

I can appreciate that, but I'd think you'd be advertising with any replica graphics package. It's not unlike some of the Yamaha special editions of the past, or the Repsol Honda CBR1000RR sold at present, but I know what you mean.

As for the cluster, it's not actually any higher than stock, it's just that the bars and bar end mirrors are lower :)

- Paulie
Thanks for understanding :)
Would be great if you got some money out of Monster and the others for this though :D

I thought that was the case with the cluster, and perhaps you had some plans for it? maybe that Gilles tooling bracket thing would work out?

Talking of which, don't you find it slightly annoying when the place you buy it from decide to plaster their name all over it?

Mine came with the name and phone number of the dealer stuck to the front mudguard. I have it scraped off before I drove away from the dealers.
Absolutely, Mine did not come with anything like that, but if it did it be taken off ASAP.
I'm fine with the Yamaha stickers on the tank, after all its a Yamaha.
I allways laugh and shake my head when I see those suped up cars with a "shopping list" on the front wing.

da1kini

Absolutely, Mine did not come with anything like that, but if it did it be taken off ASAP.
I'm fine with the Yamaha stickers on the tank, after all its a Yamaha.
I allways laugh and shake my head when I see those suped up cars with a "shopping list" on the front wing.
Well, it is part of the racing scene to put stickers of the company that made your mods. See nothing wrong with that. :)

D

Deleted member 20

Excellent!
Looks xactly like Rossis bike, ...except for the 20 mm chicken strips each side of the rear race tire.

pgeldz

Excellent!
Looks xactly like Rossis bike, ...except for the 20 mm chicken strips each side of the rear race tire.
Ha! LOL!

The tires are brand new, with like 5 miles on them, but that'll get rectified this weekend during a trackday weekend I'm attending...

- Paulie

D

Deleted member 20

7/8" = 22,2 mm
1" = 25,4 mm
The answer is that the smaller one fits both stock and Renthal alu bars for the MT07

da1kini

Read this on revzilla faq - so seems it wont fit stock bars on both sides then!

" I installed mine on a 2014 FZ-09, which probably has similar bar end configuration. The handlebar weights thread into the handlebar and form the end of the handlebar surface. Once the stock weights are removed, the actual handlebar is recessed into the grip about .5". That is why the adapter causes drag on the throttle; obviously and an unsafe condition. It was not feasible to re-locate the controls inward due to space. The only proper solution is to replace the handlebar with an aftermarket handlebar that allows the end of the handlebar to extend to the end of the grips. I used a Renthal Fatbar on my FZ-09. The FZ-07 uses a conventional 7/8" tubular handlebar; finding a suitable replacement should not be difficult."

pgeldz

So, I finally made a video of my first track day...

Hope you enjoy it :)

[video]https://youtu.be/9W3lv2obzfY[/video]

- Paulie

Donut

Have you stuck it on a dyno to get before and after figures for your performance add ons?

pgeldz

Have you stuck it on a dyno to get before and after figures for your performance add ons?
Yes, a long time ago when it was tuned by DynoJet themselves. My bike was the bike they used for final certification of the PCV :)

I've since had it tuned by my tuner, another certified DynoJet tuner in my area who helped me with many aspects of getting the bike all set up. The last tune was after a Track Day at Laguna Seca, where we had to put the stock exhaust back on due to sound restrictions. We had to tune it for that, and then when we got back, we put the Akra Ti back on and I asked him to load that map up, but make some tweaks for less engine braking, etc. What's crazy, is that he gained a few HP and TQ from the other Aka Ti map he originally made, in 100+ degree heat. The bike is running perfectly!

As far as figures go, I didn't get a printout of this latest run, but peak numbers are up like 5-8 from stock in both HP and TQ. What that doesn't show, is the area under the curve. In the midrange, it's up like 10 TQ, and just pulls hard.

- Paulie