Oops. Look what I accidentally bought today.

sdrio

A stately 15 year old garagemate for the MT07, showing a few wrinkles but generally still in good health.

But holy crap, this thing flies . . .

image.jpg

Noggie

I would guess it feels small, light, very upright seating position and the feeling you are sitting on the front wheel.

sdrio

In what way?
The R1 is a pretty hard core track bike. Feet are up and back, handlebars are well forward and down - they'd be about where the indicators are on the MT07. The handling is much more solid than the MT, I suppose partly because of the stiff frame, and also the centre of gravity is much lower.

It's also very revvy - it doesn't do much at all below about 6,000 RPM, which for me is about as high as I'd ever rev the MT07.

Totally different bike, so the MT07 feels very 'sit up and beg', but handling is a bit twitchier.

Noggie

I did try a 1998 YZF 600 Thundercat the R6 predecessor, and yes, useless below 6000rpm, almost impossible to stay under 100km/h, nice ride but completely different from the MT.
I have started to look at sports tourers myself, not sure if I will get an older one as a second bike, or a newer replacement for the MT.

sdrio

I did try a 1998 YZF 600 Thundercat the R6 predecessor, and yes, useless below 6000rpm, almost impossible to stay under 100km/h, nice ride but completely different from the MT.
I have started to look at sports tourers myself, not sure if I will get an older one as a second bike, or a newer replacement for the MT.
I wondered the same, but as I wanted something a bit sportier for weekend riding, it wouldn't make a good commuter, so decided to get a separate bike.

I was looking at older stuff, like the GPZ900r / early Fireblades, but this one was my brothers, he bought it a while ago but didn't use it (he has an FJR1300 that he prefers), so I got it for £1,250 which is a bit of a steal. The Older big bikes for that kind of money are pretty much basket cases (some actually came in cardboard boxes).

This one is mechanically perfect, it is just a bit scruffy, so makes an ideal project that can be done slowly while still using it when I want to.

Noggie

I wondered the same, but as I wanted something a bit sportier for weekend riding, it wouldn't make a good commuter, so decided to get a separate bike.

I was looking at older stuff, like the GPZ900r / early Fireblades, but this one was my brothers, he bought it a while ago but didn't use it (he has an FJR1300 that he prefers), so I got it for £1,250 which is a bit of a steal. The Older big bikes for that kind of money are pretty much basket cases (some actually came in cardboard boxes).

This one is mechanically perfect, it is just a bit scruffy, so makes an ideal project that can be done slowly while still using it when I want to.
I have been thinking about a mid 2000's Honda VFR 800, not quite as hardcore race bike, but plenty sporty.
There is a 2000 CBR 1100 XX super blackbird for sale not far from me for half the price of a new MT-07, and a 2006 for the price of a new MT.

Must say I am a sucker for the Kawasaki z1000sx, great looking bike, and a good tourer/sports bike combination, but that is so new and expensive it would have to be a replacement bike.

But then there is the MT that just brings out the hooligan in you, and it is just so much fun to ride....... Kind of hard to get rid of that bike.

sdrio

I have been thinking about a mid 2000's Honda VFR 800, not quite as hardcore race bike, but plenty sporty.
There is a 2000 CBR 1100 XX super blackbird for sale not far from me for half the price of a new MT-07, and a 2006 for the price of a new MT.

Must say I am a sucker for the Kawasaki z1000sx, great looking bike, and a good tourer/sports bike combination, but that is so new and expensive it would have to be a replacement bike.

But then there is the MT that just brings out the hooligan in you, and it is just so much fun to ride....... Kind of hard to get rid of that bike.
Weird coincidence, my other brother just bought a z1000sx (2 weeks ago). We were talking about the R1, which he has ridden, and the Z - He says, quote 'it's quick without being aggressive, unless you open the throttle. It is a very different experience - quick, lower revving and massive back tyre for comfort. Not been able to do any serious miles, weather is shit'.

He traded in an FJ600 diversion for it.

Noggie

Unfortunately for me the exchange rate of Norwegian Kroners to any other currency has become so bad in the last 18 months that prices for new bikes are going up.
The exchange rate has gotten up to 40% more expensive towards some currencies in that time.
2 years ago we paid 9nok to a pound, now it's 12,5nok. A euro has typically cost around 7,5 to 8nok, is now 9,7nok.

This means that for non-Norwegians, our exported stuff, and visiting us on holidays is considerably cheaper than 2 years ago.
2 years ago you paid £10 for a pint in a pub, now it's £7,2 just on the exchange rate. A liter of petrol would have set you back £1,6 but with the oil price and the currency drop today it is £0,96, Sunday specials as low as £0,85
So if anyone is considering a tour of Norway, now is the time to do so........

For us it means that imports are a lot more expensive, and prices go up.

A new z1000sx is £17.000, and I can have a used 2013 for £13.000.

Noggie

Wow and I moan at paying £3.70 for a pint [emoji46] I will never moan again about beer prices here again [emoji31]
Hehe, we have silly alcohol taxes, and 25% Vat. So things are expensive, for us the price is unchanged, but for a Brit visiting tow years ago and now the difference is huge.
A pint is just over £1 at the supermarket

The Mt-07 is £7800 with the current exchange rate, was £9600 when I bought it last year. Same 96.000Nok both cases, but the import price from Japan has also changed, so I would not be surprised if the price of the MT07 goes up because of that.
Edit: checked prices, the 2016 is up 3000nok, about £250 to £8000.

Last edited:

Viking

Hehe you should all buy your bikes in Croatia! Mt07 costs little over 6000 euros (new), so for the difference in the price you could actually ride it home and make an adventure out of it!

The vat here is 25% on almost everything (bread and milk excluded) and a pint costs about 2 euros at a bar and about an 1 euro at the supermarket. Let me just say that an average salary is about 700 euros. Some of my friends are visiting Norway this year so it should be cheaper than they expected!

Poslano sa mog LG-H500 koristeći Tapatalk

Noggie

Hehe you should all buy your bikes in Croatia! Mt07 costs little over 6000 euros (new), so for the difference in the price you could actually ride it home and make an adventure out of it!
Nope, still have to pay import tax on the bike, so it would probably end up more expensive.

I bought a 4 year old BMW M3 in Germany in 2008, what I paid for it in Germany was only 1/3 of the total price.