Oil level checking - a tip

Rouqui

I've got an old car rear-view mirror and check the oil by sitting on the bike to make it level and holding the mirror so I can see the oil level window

Hustler

I've got an old car rear-view mirror and check the oil by sitting on the bike to make it level and holding the mirror so I can see the oil level window
Now why didn't I think of that.

Very clever idea Rouqui, thanks very much.

AJ Nin

The other thing you can do is put a 2 by 4 under the side stand. Just don't walk away and leave the bike that way. The board puts the bike almost level, but still leaning ever so slightly toward the stand. I use it to put bikes are a rear stand too so the bike is straight. Leave it where it is and when you drop the bike back down it lands the side stand back on the board. I also have a mirror on a stick for this purpose, but I just do the board thing. In that position, if the level is seen near the top, then once completely level it will be right in the middle of the sight glass. You can crouch down and push the bike upright easily since there isn't much weight toward the left side with the board under the side stand, just to be sure of the level if you want. Too bad my dealer didn't do something like this. He over-filled my bike a bit. A sight glass is SOOO much better than a dipstick. I have spent a lot of time trying to decide where the oil level is with dipsticks even to the point of adding, then removing oil, then still wondering where the oil level is.

Last edited:

xt660isgood2

what's wrong with putting bike next to a wall (rhs bar) and looking at oil level? when not on bike holding bar with hand...like man has done since 1901

allyw71

Most people have smartphones these days, you could sit on the bike, keeping it upright and simply lean down and take a photo of the sight glass. Although I wouldn't recommend this method to someone who struggles to touch the ground with their feet flat for obvious reasons. :)

AJ Nin

The wall idea is good...but reminds me of a friend who had just purchased a very expensive Motobecane road bike several years ago. It was very light weight and you could pick it up with 2 fingers. This was in Germany. Anyway I rode with him on my regular mountain bike with all the essentials (such as a kick stand) out to a Gasthaus and when we stopped he began swear. "What's wrong, Rocky", I asked. He said the bicycle salesman ASSURED him not having a kickstand would never be problem cause you could always find a tree or wall to lean it against. There just weren't any he could get to easily.

AJ Nin

At Harbor Freight (don't know if that is a US only or International Co.) anyway they sell cheap tools so there will be something like this everywhere now I think, you can buy a telescoping mirror that works very well. It sells for $3.99 minus the ubiquitous 25%-off discount coupon. You just sit on the bike put it level and reach your left arm down to the side with the long handle. You can get the mirror right up beside the glass bubble and read it very accurately. Better than my 2 by 4 board suggestion probably.