Next in my series of pointless questions . . . why do people change their exhaust?

sdrio

I'll start with with a full and transparent disclosure - I'm not a fan of noisy exhausts, and this colours my judgement. Although that means I come across as skeptical, I'm still interested in what people say.

So there are a lot of posts / threads about exhausts here, and I honestly find it a bit baffling.

Firstly, I have seen people saying the standard exhaust is crap. What is it about the standard exhaust that is wrong?

As far as I can see, a replacement exhaust might add a few BHP - the dyno results I've seen seem to show about 4 - 5 maximum, which on a 74 bhp bike doesn't seem like a huge gain. Considering the replacement exhaust is usually somewhere between 10 - 20% of the cost of the bike itself, is that really what people are looking for?

Or, is it the sound? I (and I know I'm in a minority here) quite like the noise the standard exhaust makes. It's quiet, for sure, but it's not offensive, and doesn't screech like an inline twin does. Is it bad enough to warrant spending half a grand or more on a new one? I'm entirely discounting the absurd here, by the way. I can see the standard Akrapovic for example changes the noise entirely (which I'm not against, just pretty indifferent to), but I have also had some dick who has taken his baffles out to bully his way through traffic by revving the nuts off it to startle motorists, come racing up behind me. Yeah, sure, I'll get out of your way reeeeaaaall soon, I'm just giving you some time to admire my 15 foot wide MT07. Anyway, I digress/rant.

I know this is entirely horses for courses, but the way I see it is that some people seem to spend several thousand pounds making their bikes look and sound like a 1 litre superbike, whereas when I decided I also wanted something that looked and sounded like a 1 litre superbike, I bought a 1 litre superbike, for quite a lot less money than some people spend on their MT07.

I'm not targeting anyone here (well, except that one guy . . . ) and I am aware and completely on board with mods and customisation, but to me customisation is 50 quid for a set of heated grips - I'd be interested to know how you justify the hundreds or even thousands some people spend replacing things that (to me) seem perfectly adequate.

Eddieh93

In my opinion a big bike needs to have a big exhaust its how you tell the difference between a puny 125 and a bigger bike.

I am looking to buy one and my decision period has been long and laborious as I am so indecisive and still haven't made my mind up. However having said that I agree with sdrio on this, the exhaust isn't offensive nor anti social as standard so I can potter around without anyone staring or get on the bike for my morning commute and not wake my neighbours up - not that I care too much about them.

I think the 4-5 BHP gain is pretty insignificant in this case to be honest, unless anyone knows different. Its got to be the sound. I saw a lot of reports when the bike came out, brilliant engine blah blah blah but... the exhaust is underwhelming. Having ridden the bike for a year and a bit I am used to the bikes noise, its not loud enough for me to have to wear ear plugs everywhere if at all.

I will buy one but I will not be removing the baffle as I am not an anti-sociable idiot who feels the need to be excruciatingly loud. (My opinion, I'm not pointing fingers)

My decision is between Zard, SC Project, Akra Carbon.

addy

I love the sound of my akra as much as you love not hearing it I guess lol. To me that's part of riding a motorcycle and part of the enjoyment, I love the sound these things can make. I'm not a huge fan of il4's though, a few are really nice though but I think I'm not a huge fan cause of all the posers riding around in summer revving the shit out of their engines.

Modifying the baffle on the akra gave me the perfect growly/mean note without pissing everyone off with the baffle removed. I notice a big difference riding around London with a bike that can actually be heard and I will use it to let someone know I'm there with a few blips but I don't rev the shit out of it so someone moves out of my way, those people are just idiots.

I don't like the sound of the standard exhaust, to me it feels like the only reason it was made was to be replaced. The engine can produce such a nice notw that it feels like Yamaha could have spend a bit longer making an exhaust that shows it off a little, the stock doesn't even in the slightest.

sdrio

Fair enough - although I've never been convinced by the argument that a loud exhaust keeps you safe - the cars might be able to hear you, but they still can't see you any better. They might know you're somewhere in the area, but not exactly where. It's something I have heard emergency responders say - it's not uncommon for vehicles to stop in the path of, or even swerve towards them when they come up on them with their blee-bla's going, as the drivers can't tell which direction the sound is coming from.

Again, I'm not picking on anyone, I have no problem with the idea of making the bike exactly how you like it. The standard Akra (and most other aftermarket exhausts) isn't offensive to me, but it's not appealing either.

addy

Loud exhausts don't keep you safe, You keep You safe and yea I get sick of people saying the same thing but an exhaust someone can actually hear in my opinion helps more than nothing at all. It helps in urban or slower speed filtering as if you are filtering down a two lane road most will realise you are coming through the middle, many more people give me space compared to having an exhaust no one can here and the difference is immediately obvious.

I know what you mean with the sirens cause you hear it and often don't know where it's coming from so drivers swerve all over the place. That's something unique to emergency services sirens though and doesn't happen with motorcycle exhausts lol.

sdrio

To be fair it's usually Harley riders who say it, but I guess the traffic would move for them, they'd assume it was a tractor trying to get through.

sdrio

I've got nothing against Harleys, I just think it's a lot of unecessary work to have to get off your bike and wheel it round corners.

Viking

I'm with sdrio on this one. In my opinion, the mt 07 is perfect for me and the only mods I've made on mine are givi screen, rear carrier rack (if this counts as a mod) and frame sliders that i made myself on a cnc machine. I like the sound of the original exhaust. It's not loud, but it does growl just enough in high revs. I like the akra sound with the db killer in, but I don't think that it's worth a 1000 euros just to have a better sound and a few hp... I would rather spend that amount on a motorcycle trip.

I do like to hear a loud pipe on a harley, but to ride it for a few hours is another thing. I went on a test ride on a fat bob few weeks ago for about 2 hours, the sound is great for the first half an hour and then it gets really annoing for me...

So, i agree with sdrio that a new exhaust is not worth the money, but that is just my opinion. The mt 07 is a perfect bike for me! If anyone wants to spend a large amount of money on mods, than I guess that is his or her choice!

Poslano sa mog LG-H500 koristeći Tapatalk

msesma

I love my mt-07 exaust: The sound is good, the weight is low because it is small, the part that can be seen is only a tube that can be dismounted if damaged or for cover it with carbon fiber...

plima306

My opinion diverges from all of u from a point of view!
First as a rider i don't like reving my way trought trafic, i think its stupid and ofensive to people who's on the road.
Second the place and country where you drive dictates if a loud bike is more safe or not. For personal experience the sound off the bike alerts for dead angles in mirrors, and in a country where everyone texts and do fast turns without using blinkers, If they don't see or hear you you'll be rammed in no times. Sadly this is my view and experience. Before the akra I've ad a lot of heart stopping moments in traffic.
Third but not least I'm a Mc member and in meetings and concentrations (events),no one wants to be ignored or unnoticed.
So my upvote goes to the akrapovic with baffle for cruising and without for fun. The sc project seems cool but the akra is more natural. The price, 10% of the bike is insane but with luck like me you can get a good deal for dealers who bet on big stocking. I've had 230€ on discont in a original and new one and they would pay for mine if it was unused.

Thanks for the long reading.

Enviado do meu SM-G920F através de Tapatalk

Last edited:

Noggie

I like a bit of noise, but there are limits.
The stock Akra is perfect for me, just loud enough.
I like hearing the bike when I'm out riding.

That said, it also depends on your use, as the MT is a toy for me Its fine that it is a bit loud.
But, if I was using a bike to go on long tours and holidays, I would prefer a quiet one.

my friend has a S1000RR, with some crazy Akra race exhaust.
When we are out riding I can't hear my own bike, and riding behind him is painful, even with molded earplugs.
I could never have a bike that makes that much noise.

mejson

In my opinion - standard exhaust sounds like a moped one, even worse than MT-125 that I used to ride...that's fisrt thing,
second is the way it looks...tiny pipe coming out of cover...and that ugly silencer underneath...I love my Termignoni and i don't hear much of a difference between DB killer and Race insert...
but indeed I think we are better heard in the city traffic...
...sold original for 200eu as well :)

Last edited:

Viking

My opinion diverges from all of u from a point of view!
First as a rider i don't like reving my way trought trafic, i think its stupid and ofensive to people who's on the road.
Second the place and country where you drive dictates if a loud bike is more safe or not. For personal experience the sound off the bike alerts for dead angles in mirrors, and in a country where everyone texts and do fast turns without using blinkers, If they don't see or hear you you'll be rammed in no times. Sadly this is my view and experience. Before the akra I've ad a lot of heart stopping moments in traffic.
Third but not least I'm a Mc member and in meetings and concentrations (events),no one wants to be ignored or unnoticed.
So my upvote goes to the akrapovic with baffle for cruising and without for fun. The sc project seems cool but the akra is more natural. The price, 10% of the bike is insane but with luck like me you can get a good deal for dealers who bet on big stocking. I've had 230€ on discont in a original and new one and they would pay for mine if it was unused.

Thanks for the long reading.

[emoji15] 230€ discount!!! Now that is a good deal!

Poslano sa mog LG-H500 koristeći Tapatalk

plima306

Viking the price was compared to the regular dealer witch only makes the same price as the site suggest. I'm comparing the dealer original one with the brand engraved in laser not the the one with the yellow sticker on it provided by resalers. So it was a good dealer! Not everyone van afford an extra 1000 € on extras when buying a new bike so waiting almost a year for a good deal totally worth it.

sdrio

Interesting - I hadn't really thought about the look being a factor, but now you mention it, it makes sense.

I'm glad to see almost unanimity on the noise as well, I was half expecting my grumbling about superloud pipes to piss people off. It seems we're half and half between 'stock OK but too quiet', and properly baffled Akra / other aftermarket pipes.

plima306

Sdrio don't get me wrong about the sound. if my head wouldn't explode after about 1/2 an hour about riding without the baffler and being respectful about the passers-by I'd ride it always without the baffler. The amazing sound helps with the tremendous fun it delivers. But i don't want to go deaf ?

sdrio

Sdrio don't get me wrong about the sound. if my head wouldn't explode after about 1/2 an hour about riding without the baffler and being respectful about the passers-by I'd ride it always without the baffler. The amazing sound helps with the tremendous fun it delivers. But i don't want to go deaf

It's not always the noise that is so obnoxious, it's the way the noise is used.

A blaring exhaust on its own isn't any more annoying than say a jet flying overhead, but it seems that riders with very loud exhausts find it hard to resist the temptation to use them as a battering ram.

It's like if someone with a normal exhaust were to ride through the traffic with their thumb on the horn. People would certainly be aware they were there, but they would also think 'What's the matter with that dickhead?', and try their best to get in his way. And the rider is presumably thinking 'I bet they all think this is a cool noise'.

plima306

That's why you can find 125cc dickheads and 1000cc with loud exausts but suave riders. Its not the exaust or the bike it's the rider. Riders are people and people are stupid. My exaust is loud but the sound is great as long as i don't rev'it like an asshole i tend to create a smile on other drivers faces instead of andry faces. But that's me...

sdrio

That's why you can find 125cc dickheads and 1000cc with loud exausts but suave riders. Its not the exaust or the bike it's the rider. Riders are people and people are stupid. My exaust is loud but the sound is great as long as i don't rev'it like an asshole i tend to create a smile on other drivers faces instead of andry faces. But that's me...

You're absolutely right, and a lot of noise isn't by any means the only way to misbehave on a bike.

I have to say though, I seriously doubt your exhaust makes anyone smile. If it's got no baffles, it might just be that you set off an epileptic fit.