New brake lever - Adjusting brake light switch

Crypto

Today I finally installed the cheap but very nice and sturdy clutch and brake levers that I got from Ebay. It went well but now the brake light doesn't come on until I brake pretty hard. Adjusting the rear brake light switch is easy but I haven't been able to find out how to adjust the front one. Even looked through the service manual. Does anyone know how to do it? Worst-case scenario I'll have to remove the brake lever and shave off some of the plastic that touches the switch.

In case any of you with Race-Blus are thinking about buying these blue levers, here are pictures:

They're not the exact same shade of blue but it's close enough. I really like them.

Last edited:

foxracer

I have the same bike... And the same levers. Will have to check the brake light is coming on when I think it is!

Crypto

I have the same bike... And the same levers. Will have to check the brake light is coming on when I think it is!
You probably know already but listen for the distinct click coming from the brake light switch. I want it to click before any real braking force is applied but right now it doesn't click until I apply panic brake level force. Not very good :p

nobull

If you don't sort it with adjustment, I can forward you a link for very similar cheap ebay Chinese levers I got. Very similar to yours (anodised blue & black) with added length adjustment (I like 2 fingers for braking so short, 4 for clutch side so long), think they were about £26 from memory & have just doubled checked - brake light activates perfectly. They are amazing quality for price, can see the milling cuts not cast items, all adjusters work well & excellent fit!
Afterthought - the lever hasn't been overtightened has it? If anything isn't perfect with it I would get it up on paddock stands & check no binding after lever pressure applied, last thing you want is brake drag, can overheat & spontaneously lock up front with no input from rider, obviously would be v dangerous if you didn't spot/smell it first. Don't mean to be patronising but we we've all been less wise when younger etc, sorry if you've already thought of all this!

Last edited:

Crypto

They are amazing quality for price, can see the milling cuts not cast items, all adjusters work well & excellent fit!
I think these levers are from the same chinese seller on Ebay. Only difference then is that yours have adjustable lengths as you mentioned. Mine fit well, they've been attached properly, no dragging etc. I have tested them. The only issue is that the light switch that gets released when you brake, to activate the brake light, releases too late right now. The manual mentions that a Yamaha dealership can adjust it so there has to be some way to do this on your own.

Has anyone heard of issues with the levers snapping? I've heard about this with the cheap Chinese pegs...
Quite alot of people have bought these chinese levers and so far I haven't heard any such complaints. They're never under the kind of pressure that pegs are subjected to though so perhaps chinese pegs are a bit riskier.

robodene

As a BTW, I see yours has a different headlight design. Yours has the lip or 'dishing' around the front of the top edge. My 2014 has no front lip. OK chaps, back to levers.

Crypto

As a BTW, I see yours has a different headlight design. Yours has the lip or 'dishing' around the front of the top edge. My 2014 has no front lip. OK chaps, back to levers.
I thought 2014/2015 models were identical other than the color options. Could it just be the angle? Tried comparing photos but still can't see it? :p

Ne07

I know it's been a few years, but was there a solution for this? Having the same issue on my '17.

Nuggets

If it is the same design as the 2014 then the front brake switch is fixed and so there is no adjustment available.

I guess in lieu of new levers a couple of options are:

1) buy aluminium alloy welding rod from ebay, and using a *small* gas torch build to build up the surface of the lever switch plate and then file flat.
2) find some aluminium plate, cut to shape of the lever switch tab and use metalweld to glue in place.

Neither are pretty or easy!

Attachments