My reason for poor throttle control

Yaminator

In the meantime i've sprayed the end up with enamel till after Xmas if that works ok i'l keep wih the original bars...

Ralph

By not painting that bit some faceless wonder will have saved about a yen per hundred bikes and cost about
$100 per hundred in work to put it right, on mine the bars look ok the parts I can see that is, only rust is just
were the stalks enter the mirrors, poor after only 12 months, car owners just would not put up with things like this
and they dont get any were near as pampered as bikes, maybe he will be invited to fall on the ceremonial l sword.

spencer

Just had the swing arm and wheels replaced under warranty because of rust and paint coming off wheels, the new swing arm has been on 3 week and the rust has returned in the same place as before so its going back after crimbow, 5700 notes i don't think this is cheap but some of you will think it is and you pay for what you get but the build quality is shit. i would be quite happier to pay a bit more for a better quality bike that will last one winter.

Bits i have had replaced under warranty so far. this is since may15
1 swing arm,rusty
2 stater switch x 3 sticking on
3 wheels, paint coming off after cleaning
4 water pipes x 2

sdrio

Just had the swing arm and wheels replaced under warranty because of rust and paint coming off wheels, the new swing arm has been on 3 week and the rust has returned in the same place as before so its going back after crimbow, 5700 notes i don't think this is cheap but some of you will think it is and you pay for what you get but the build quality is shit. i would be quite happier to pay a bit more for a better quality bike that will last one winter.

Bits i have had replaced under warranty so far. this is since may15
1 swing arm,rusty
2 stater switch x 3 sticking on
3 wheels, paint coming off after cleaning
4 water pipes x 2
Just out of curiosity, do you park it anywhere near the sea? It's really weird that you're getting so many rust problems. I used to live right on the beachfront in Rio, and everything I owned went rusty in a few weeks, because of the salty air.

Also, not that you're obliged to do it, but have you tried something like ACF50? It's pretty good at stopping this kind of problem, although the extent of yours seems much worse than most of us have seen, and you;ve every right to take it back to the dealer.

spencer

Right hand side just along the weld line near chain juster.This swing arm is only 3 weeks old its really poor and we ant even half way though the winter. and this is a bike that get washed every week and ACF50. prob will come out one morning and find just the engine on the floor lol

20151222_125643.jpg

spencer

no don't live near the sea it keep in a garage over night i am up and down the motorway everyday this could be the problem but still it shouldn't be rusting like it is, the day it came back from having the swing arm changed i cleaned it and ACF50 it and every week since.I really look after the bike has its my work horse, its cleaned every week serviced every 4000 miles i am dreading to think what its going to look like by the end of winter.

sdrio

no don't live near the sea it keep in a garage over night i am up and down the motorway everyday this could be the problem but still it shouldn't be rusting like it is, the day it came back from having the swing arm changed i cleaned it and ACF50 it and every week since.I really look after the bike has its my work horse, its cleaned every week serviced every 4000 miles i am dreading to think what its going to look like by the end of winter.
It's strange. Almost everybody has reported a few spots of rust here and there, but you seem to have suffered every one of those, plus a few more of your own.

Maybe Yamaha contracted some of the bike production out to Alfa Romeo.

spencer

LOL or the titanic. At least the Alfa lasted a few years. I don't think this MT will last the 2 year warranty. there is more the shock is starting to rust and the break pipes clips also if i keep taking it back under warranty i might have a new bike at the end of the 2 years lolol

Ralph

Looks like a bit of rust on the ans sender bracket too, I do live by the sea on 2 sides about 400 yards way
do keep it clean but not super clean and the odd squirt of WD but nothing else 9000 miles and second winter
but it's been so wet up here that I haven't done as much riding as usual this winter in fact it's been a bit iffy
in the box for the last 3 weeks with many roads closed and water coming up the man holes. Bikers put up
with to much of this my 10 year old Clio as no rust and is lucky to get cleaned once every 2 month driven
in all weathers lives outside, 17000 mile services 40000 plus on tyres £20 tax 70 mpg but at the end of the
day leans the wrong way in corners.

spencer

I drive a 26 years old mk2 golf GTI 16v with 210,000 miles on the clock with less rust lol great car to drive love it to bits but not as much fun as a bike.

bobh

Strange thing is that so far this winter has been exceptionally mild, with hardly any salt being put down on the roads. So you'd expect to see less corrosion than usual.

I think Yamaha's standards may be slipping when it comes to quality of finish. They were nothing special in the '90's, but upped their game into the new millenium with with the R1 and R6. My old FZ6 was very good - I sold it at 6 years old with nearly 30,000 miles on it and it cleaned up almost like new. The Fazer8 that replaced it is similarly well-finished and still cleans up nicely (when I can be bothered). It does get the odd squirt of ACF50 on fasteners etc. but nothing OTT.

A mate has had similar swing arm rusting problems with a XJ6 Diversion, though only after a couple of years. To some extent the difference is in the materials used - the FZ's use ally for the frame and swing arm But steel should be fine as long as it's properly coated, though it seems in this case it wasn't. Powder coating is cheap enough, but the prep can be a bit of a pain, having to blank off all the bits that you don't want to be coated.

KEVINJSTANLEY

those who suffer with rust... do you use a pressure washer ? as that could be a issue however I do assume you use your hands or get the kids to do it