MT-09 Tracer

Eddieh93

Been looking at buying an MT-09 Tracer for some touring.

Does anyone have one/ridden one and can let me know what they think seem some reviews which says its another quality bike from Yamaha, but if I buy if am I becoming a bit of a Yamaha fanboy?!

Also been looking at a BMW R1200GS R but they are expensive 2nd and will have loads of miles on them.

the touring set up looks awesome in my opinion.

brands_yamaha_mt09tracer.jpg

Let me know.

sdrio

I test rode a standard MT09, but it was an early one, would have been March 2014 or so.

I found it to be very jerky, the power delivery was quite brutal. Even on the softer engine mode it was a bit of a handful.

I think it'll be what you expect it to be though - it's a slightly bigger, heavier and faster version of the MT07.

I went for the MT07 in the end because I didn't need the extra welly (and extra cost to run) of the MT09 for commuting. Assuming they've sorted out the rough drivetrain, it's probably a very capable tourer.

craigieboy

Enjoyed a test ride on one Eddie. Noticably heavier than the MT-07 obviousy, and a bit taller, enjoyed the extra punch it had although like @sdrio I don't really need it or can use it to be honest. Nice and comfy could see it being a lot easier to spend a 12hr + day on one than the MT-07. Fairings/screen must take some setting up as there was more buffeting/turbulence than on my MT-07 strangley. Although the extra power and engine was great I really missed the MT-07 noise and character.

Flip

I had test ride on one really wanting to like it but couldn't wait to take it back, ended up buying a Tiger 800, way way better bike to ride, also have MT07 and 1190R Adventure ?

Eddieh93

From the videos I have been watching Yamaha have sorted the jerky fuelling in B and STD mode apparently, which was peoples major gripe.

I know the tracer has a bigger fuel tank and people are reporting 170miles which isn't too bad for fuel consumption obviously this bike will be used daily as a commuter unless i keep the MT-07 because I do love this bike, but just worried if I do keep the 07 I'm just going to have pretty much 2 of the same bike.

There is a lot of after market screens for the Tracer which I would buy one for touring purposes and a commuting one as I have seen that the OEM one isn't that great for touring purposes. Along with saddle bag and top box, akro exhaust, levers, spotlights, sat nav mount and a few other bits.

robodene

Nearly as many Tracers sold as MT-07s in the first 6 months of 2015. I know of one who changed his TDM for a Tracer. He "loves it".

sdrio

One problem occurred to me.

I was on the way home last night, and one of those Honda NCX700 things was following behind me. I have no particular objection to the NCX700, but I just think it's a bit dull and there are quite a few about so they don't really stand out in any way.

As I peeled off of the A316 toward my house, it went past me, and I noticed it was actually a tracer.

This is entirely a matter of personal taste of course, and I apologise to any tracer riders reading this, but I find it to be kind of ugly and rather forgettable.

Eddieh93

Thanks for your honest response sdrio that's what I asked for.

I see what you mean about the NCX700, I'm not a big fan either. There are a few bikes I have been looking at including the Versys and F800 but what is attracting me to the Tracer is the engine as I know its similar to the MT-07, which I love! As your probably aware. All that engine in a tourer will enable me to have fun at the weekend also nice and wind protected for the commute and nice looking tourer bike.

Perfect for what Im looking for at the minute.

KEVINJSTANLEY

I have the cage and I have started setting it up for touring, with back box and saddles [Yam] but also the puig tourer, my thinking is the bike is great fun loads of grin factor from drivability to exhaust note. I say this as I very nearly bought the Honda 1200 dual clutch at 13000 quid. I thought that my major gripe with the MT was the seat as during the summer I would do 200 -250 miles ride with the lads at the weekends and it was only the seat that let it down.

so I bought a yam rack and box and the saddles and rods for all in £280 with the puig at 70 new, all I need to do now is the seat and this summer I now have loads of money to spend on a proper tour :) My point is don't discount the 07 as a tourer as in most situations the performance is more than enough to keep up with the big boys and the luggage options are there to load up your gear

robodene

There'll be the MT-07 Tracer along sometime - when they have more engine manufacturing capacity.
BTW, I like the look of the Tracer a lot, (for what that may be worth!)

Eddieh93

Not discounted the MT-07 for a tourer I just don't want to tour in it. Happy hooning around town and country lanes on it without the extra weight of panniers and what not.

sdrio

Not discounted the MT-07 for a tourer I just don't want to tour in it. Happy hooning around town and country lanes on it without the extra weight of panniers and what not.
I'd agree with this. Just the seat would be enough to make me discount the MT as a serious tourer, but the bike itself just doesn't seem an obvious choice anyway.

Smallish engine, and you'd have to add so much kit - luggage and screen for a start, and you'd still be sitting in the spray from the head downwards.

I'm sure lots of people have driven to Cannes on theirs at a steady 120mph, but if I was going to do it, I'd put the 2 grand you'd need to make the MT07 into a half arsed tourer into an upgrade.

Although I'm not much taken by the tracers looks, it's almost certainly a better option.

Alternative if it's just for the occasional long distance blast, you could get yourself a well used FJR1300 (or something of that ilk) for well under 5 grand.

EG YAMAHA FJR 1300 36226 MILES 2007 GENUINE PANNIERS | eBay

bobh

I'm very happy with my Fazer8 as a tourer. Decent weather protection, all-day (500-mile) comfort (I have an MRA screen, but it's really just the same as the standard one with a deflector added on top), reasonable economy, (50-55 mpg), excellent build quality (at least as good as the MT-09, and certainly better than the MT-07), and I reckon it looks much nicer. Now the Tracer is taking all the limelight the poor old Fazer's value has dropped, so you can pick up a minter for 5 grand. And because it's not the scratcher's choice (that would be the FZ1, which is pretty much identical except for the un-sleeved engine) you can be fairly sure that it won't have been thrashed. ABS as standard on the faired version, too.

And no, I'm not trying to sell mine!

rappetor

Personally I really like the looks of the bike, although a little bit less of an 'allroad' look would have been nice (bit more sporty look or something).

Anyway, will be riding one in spring and really interested how it is in comparison to the MT07. I'm ready to buy one, to replace the 07 :). So far most of the stuff I read is very positive and it seems like exactly the type of bike I'm looking for.

Not that there is anything wrong with the 07, but a bit more power, more comfort, wind protection etc would be nice. The Tracer just seems like a very good package.

Last edited:

robodene

The MT-07 Tracer has a name, it's called the TDM900 ;-) with it's lovely 900 cc 270° twin engine, half-fairing, comfy seat and capable rear subframe.
In case you didn't know, TDM is short for Tracer Development Mule.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36673370/150926_07_M2.jpg
And especially for those with a sturdy frame of their own: an extra 50kg, all around chest height.
(I did love mine, btw. And that lava red. Ooh, perfection)

bobh

Another view. OK, it's the basic MT-09, but it still comes out top, compared to the Suzuki GSX-S750 and Aprilia Shiver:

More for Less: $8K Four vs. $8.2K Triple vs. $8.7K Twin + Video

I traded in a Shiver GT when I got the Fazer8, needing something with a bit more all-round capability.(weather protection etc.) But I did love riding the Shiver - that V-twin has loads of character and makes a great sound, even with the standard exhaust. It's also, to me, a very pretty piece of machinery (as you'd expect from Italy). Anyway, a month or so back I saw one with a low starting price on ebay, made a silly bid on it, and much to my surprise, won it. I've ridden it a few times since, and it is just how I remember it, though until the roads really dry out properly and warm up, I won't be able to really enjoy it properly. And for a 6+ year old bike that's had four owners and done 12K miles the build quality is really impressive. So, if you're looking for a low-cost, left-field alternative.....

D

Deleted member 20

And especially for those with a sturdy frame of their own: an extra 50kg, all around chest height.
(I did love mine, btw. And that lava red. Ooh, perfection)
Just about 40 kg extra with it's 226 kg wet vs. MT07's 182 wet, given the TDM packs 20 L vs. MT's 14 L of fuel.
Replacing TDM stock cans and swapping to a lithium battery saves 11 kg to 215 kg wet. The stock MT09 Tracer with 18 L tank is 210 kg wet.

Last edited by a moderator: