MT-07 or the MT-09?

Ansan

Hi, everyone. I'm hoping that people who have ridden both bikes can give me a little feedback between the 07 and the 09.

I currently live in Seoul, Korea and have ridden a Hyosung GT650 for the last two years (it's basically a cruder version of an SV650). The bike has been great, but I am looking to upgrade to something a little more exciting and better made. I test rode a 09 very briefly in heavy traffic and could not really get a feel for just how crazy the engine is. From the reviews I've been reading, the 09 sounds like it is a monster and probably has more power than I will ever need. Unfortunately, there aren't many video reviews in English yet of the 07 other than the press launch.

To me, the 07 looks a little better, has gotten better reviews, and has a better fueling range for sport-touring. I ride in a combination of about 30% heavy city traffic and 70% weekend sprints through the mountains. I sometimes like to go fast and ride in a group with liter bikes, but I am certainly nothing more than an intermediate rider. I occasionally like to carry a pillion as well, which might be a problem because I am a big guy (5'10", 230 pounds with gear.) The 07's haven't arrived yet in Korea, and I'm not sure I will be able to test them for anything more than 10 minutes in city traffic.

So here's my question: is the MT-07's engine noticeably more powerful than an SV650? I'm not looking for a race bike, but I want to buy something that will keep me happily entertained for many years to come. The MT-07 seems like a much wiser choice for my needs, but I'm just worried that I may later regret not going for the bigger bike when I had the chance. Any input would be greatly appreciated- thanks!

Jon

Ansan, I haven't ridden an SV650, but on paper they are not very different from a pure power point of view. Yes, the MT-07 is a parallel twin, not a "V", but has very similar power (75bhp vs 70-ish - depending on SV version). Both are light and maneuverable. The MT-is brand new and up-to-date, when the SV is as old as the hills (launched in 1999) . So the MT is a modern and very much more desirable bike (in my eyes) but don't expect a massive power difference. In this weeks MCN test, the MT-07 top speed is 121.6 mph, when the Gladius does 125.97. So if you want a big hairy power uplift you probably need the MT-09. Personally, I'm not sure I could ever use all that power, but once you get into the mountains and if you have no speed limits (or unenforced speed limits :)) maybe you will be able to. In the UK we just risk losing our licence for a year if we exceed 100 or any lower speed limit by 30 mph. And our insurance costs go up massively.

Ansan

Jon, thanks for getting back to me. Here in Korea, motorcycles don't have front license plates....and the highway traffic cameras only snap the front ;)