Magnetic Oil Sump Drain Plug?

Nuggets

Does anyone know if the oil sump plug is magnetic from the factory? I haven't been able to find details of the plug, it's size or an MT-07 specific aftermarket plug yet. My bike turns up in 47 days and this is for me the first modification to do before running in gets too far along.

D

Deleted member 20

No it isn't. I did replace with magnetic when I did 1000 km oil & filter service. Std aftermarket 14mm x don´t remember, you might be able to make it out measuring on attached pic. Takes KN204 filter and 2.6 L synthetic 10w40 MA2 oil.
View attachment 406

Last edited by a moderator:

Nuggets

Thanks and30ers, I might change oil as soon as I get it home from dealers (first trip is 40 miles) and follow it with a hard break in (Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power), then back to dealers for 600mile service. The plug looks like either a 14mm x 10mm or 14mm x 12mm long from counting the thread turns and comparing to pictures of 14mm plugs on sale on ebay, I don't think the 2mm will matter either way considering it's sitting in an oil sump, in fact it might help picking up metal particles from the engine.

Nuggets

for any one that is interested the Yamaha part number http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/online-parts-catalogue/index.aspx for the plug is 903430-14132, a quick google shows this is the same plug as used in the XJR1200 / XJR1300 / V Star / Motorboat engines .etc so it looks like a standard part across their product range. A magnetic plug for those models should also fit the MT-07.

I'm getting a dimple magnetic plug 14mm x 1.5mm (thread) http://www.magneticoildrainplugs.co.uk/Technical_Video_Magnetic_Oil_Drain_Plugs.html#.U52U4m9OWUk

Ralph

One of the few mods I think worth wile, you will be amazed
how much metal it will pick up especially during running in.

Ralph

It will still pick up metal after running in but there is more of it at first
from the running in process as parts bed themselves in to each other
and anything left over from manufacture, so they are well worth fitting
also if you suddenly get a unusual amount of metal on it after running in
it may be early signs of something failing. but anything that helps remove
bits of metal from a engine is a good thing.

D

Deleted member 20

Magnetic plug is always good to have, will pick up shaved of metal from missed gear shifts as well I guess.
Got my M14x1,5 plug from 24MX for 99 SEK, but you can also find them in any mc store or on eBay.

Magnetisk oljeplugg - Snabb leverans - 24MX

da1kini

It will still pick up metal after running in but there is more of it at first
from the running in process as parts bed themselves in to each other
and anything left over from manufacture, so they are well worth fitting
also if you suddenly get a unusual amount of metal on it after running in
it may be early signs of something failing. but anything that helps remove
bits of metal from a engine is a good thing.
Maybe worth the hustle then. Or maybe wait for next servicet to fit it. recently made the first service after run in.

D

Deleted member 20

If you recently changed the oil, just take a clean 3 litre pan from the kitchen (w/o spaghetti leftovers). unplug, drop the oil, insert new plug, and refill same oil. I then suggest cleaning the pan before cookin' dinners for ur kids.

Ralph

Be careful he is in Sweden too, if he buggers it wifes best pan up and blames you see could be round there with the rolling pin.

D

Deleted member 20

No worries. In Sweden the men cooks, the ladies are totally lost in the kitchen. And in most other places too for that matter.

Nuggets

Well i tried to get the dealer to fit the magnetic plug at PDI but not only does he want £40 for the pleasure, it's apparently a pain as they don't hold the running in oil to top up the engine! He also claims the engine doesn't need a magnetic plug because it's all alloy construction. He got a bit sketchy when I questioned him further on this! Anyone know if he's right? Doesn't sound right to me.

Anyway plan B is a set of dimple oil filter magnets which attach to the outside of the oil filter, then at first service get them drain plug swapped. SUPER Black Hole 4 Pack Oil Filter Magnets mine have been delivered in anticipation of picking up my bike on the 6th August, I can tell you they are incredibly powerful.

Ralph

He's wrong, many engines are described as all alloy but this refers to the casings not the bit's that
move, you can get cheap super strong magnets on Evil Bay cheap and just stick one to the oil filter
do it on my car and bikes.

Ralph

Magnetic drain plug from my 07 after about 3000 miles of running the bike now as nr 6000 miles
not bad at all was expecting a bit more my last 2 bikes certainly had more on them at low mileage.