Long term durability

Will145

I have seen a couple of threads now from owners around the 7-8k mileage mark - one being that the front suspension was bottoming out one of the forks needed replacement and on another the rear suspension was rusting and again needed replacing under warranty. I understand that some new cars/bike owners will have issues but I just wondered if anyone else was concerned about the durability of this bike in the long run?

Will

Last edited:

Ralph

Front forks seem to be the same as used on many bikes so cant see them being a problem
the rear is under damped but how long it will take to become a problem is anyones guess.
mine as 1900 miles up.

dazzor

Only had mine 2 weeks so I'm open to a lambasting for saying this.....

I don't have participially high expectations for this bike after a couple of years (about 8,000 miles a year) doing my Herts to London commute.

Having been doing the same commute for a tad over 20 years I just have a feel for a bike's durability and the MT feels like it's going to buckle a lot sooner than something like my trusty old NTV650.

Happy to enjoy the bike for 18 months and if it looks like it's buckling under the pressure, I'll sell with 6 months warranty left.....Easier to sell that way.

Last edited:

dazzor

Eck a Centurion tank would buckle before a NVT650 Mr Honda put them together to last.
Ha ha, perhaps my old girl is an unfair comparison....They are a legend of a bike I think.

Well my last, main ride for work was an XJ6N....That felt more robust than the 07......Not where near as much fun to ride though.

I wonder if that smaller battery and starter motor set-up will see some non-starters this winter? (Alarmed bikes being more at risk)

I'm not being down on the bike, it's just the pragmatist in me.....After all, there's enough hyperbole about this bike IMO.

dazzor

Mine turns over faster than the Suzuki it replaced so cant say I am worried.
Mine turns over quite swiftly, not quite the lighting affair of my old XJ6, but quick enough.

Smaller battery is what it is; less power in reserve. It works until it doesn't.

Hopefully I'm being unduly pessimistic.

Last edited: