LED indicators fitted today. Links in post

def

where on the bike are the relays mounted? just ordered led indicator and im going to order some relays now :)

balki

upload_-1.jpg
I have similar and ive been informed there not to bright when followed (seem bright enough to me though) also mine are not e marked so may need changing before an mot.
The relay is under the left hand side panel and the relay is £12 on ebay ( relay is better than resistors) Link Here (edit - is the same as you used - just seen your link) http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/mt-07-fz-07-modifications/920-led-indicator-resistor-placement.html
To be honest I prefer the straight line look of yours over my shrek ears and even though there cheap i just cant be arsed to strip apart the rear end again to change them :/
Put some sealant in the ends to stop water ingress ;)

Last edited:

def

i dont get it, do i need resistors aswell? i bought the same indicators as u did Balki and the relays linked on top here. and do i rly need the indy leads?

balki

i dont get it, do i need resistors aswell? i bought the same indicators as u did Balki and the relays linked on top here. and do i rly need the indy leads?
No, you need either, a relay OR resistors to slow the flash rate of the LED indicator to the correct speed

Resistors = make the bike think it still has 10watt bulbs attached (they dissipate the extra energy by heat)
Relay = slows down the power on, power off cycle to the indicator

If you are changing a 10w bulb with a 1w led in my opinion it is silly to then waste that 9w of saved energy by adding a resistor (also it gets awkward with resistor size and location, heat = fire if incorrect resistors are used)
get the correct relay (plug wise) and its a straight swap ;)

and do i rly need the indy leads?
Not sure what you are asking here ?

Last edited:

da1kini

No, you need either, a relay OR resistors to slow the flash rate of the LED indicator to the correct speed

Resistors = make the bike think it still has 10watt bulbs attached (they dissipate the extra energy by heat)
Relay = slows down the power on, power off cycle to the indicator

If you are changing a 10w bulb with a 1w led in my opinion it is silly to then waste that 9w of saved energy by adding a resistor (also it gets awkward with resistor size and location, heat = fire if incorrect resistors are used)
get the correct relay (plug wise) and its a straight swap ;)

Not sure what you are asking here ?
As you seems to know a lot about relays and resistors :)
My dealer made a swap to Yamaha original LED indicators and they work great, BUT the warning or hazard lights, you know the read triangle button does not work :( Do you happen to know why?

balki

My dealer made a swap to Yamaha original LED indicators and they work great, BUT the warning or hazard lights, you know the read triangle button does not work :( Do you happen to know why?
How many resistors did they use ? I think i remember a post somewhere that if you use 4 then it screws up the hazards (I think there should only be 2 resistors even if you replace all 4 indicators)
That is a serious issue if your dealer returned it in that state and let you ride off :/
Drop off the headlight and look under the pillion seat, there should only be 2 (Lumps) resistors in the wiring. Or just remove the resistors and fit the relay mentioned above ;)

Found the post see here http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/mt-07-fz-07-general-discussion/96-led-flashers.html?highlight=indicators

def
here are the indy leads: YAMAHA LED MINI INDICATOR CONNECTION ADAPTOR LEADS ILY4 4 PACK MOTRAX INDY LEADS | eBay
i mean if there are some connection on the bike where i need this, otherwise ill just cut off the cables and joint them together myself.
Nice find, MT-0Devon, using them should be a straight plug in jobbie ;) no need to cut any wires, under the pillion seat there are 4 plastic connectors. (at the side of the storage tray)
1 with 3 wires - brake, backlight and common
3 with 2 wires - Left Indicator and common, right indicator and common, numberplate light and common
plug in there and plug the indicator into the other end.
Not necessary but a tidier solution

Last edited:

foxracer

Thanks for this post, especially the eBay links, answered a lot of my questions!

Out of interest, is it obvious how to fit the relay?

Noggie

I did the same install myself a few days ago, no problem with the hazards, I only used resistors on the rear set of indicators, but the set comes with 4, it is possible that the dealer installed all of them on your bike as Balki suggests.
As this is a simple circuit, and a simple install there really isn't many possibilities to mess it up. So too many resistors may very well be the cause.

da1kini

I did the same install myself a few days ago, no problem with the hazards, I only used resistors on the rear set of indicators, but the set comes with 4, it is possible that the dealer installed all of them on your bike as Balki suggests.
As this is a simple circuit, and a simple install there really isn't many possibilities to mess it up. So too many resistors may very well be the cause.
Yes, he used all 4 resistors :) now it is done with only the rear set and it works well again.

Gee

You take the left side panel off. 7 screws. Easy 10min job to fit the relay.

Fitted mine the other day. Cost me £2.17 delivered and just plugged straight in.