Is a power comander necessary with the Acrapovic Carbon without the DB killer

kiriakos

I am thinking of buying the akrapovic carbon and i am gonna use it without db killer. Is a power comander/similar product necessary or its a plug and play thing?
I dont want to damage the engine and i know nothing of such things (power comanders, exhausts , etch.). Thnx in advance.

def

i have heard that the amount of ph u gain from the power commander, exhaust and air filter is not worth the money and if u change exhaust and put on a powercommanber u also have to increase the airflow. and when i spoke to my yamaha dealer about powercommnander exhaust etc, they told me that aftermarket exhaust is ok as long as u dont drive without the db-killer. (warrantywise its NOT okey) if u want to use an exhaust without the db-killer u have to install other software wich they could do for me / install a power commander, if u drive only with bg-killer out u can damage the engine. not sure if this is true since pretty much everyone with the titan system use it without db-killer, but im not taking chances.

and the carbon seems to be loud enough wiht db-killer on.

KEVINJSTANLEY

Hi Boys

I have the Akra [yam version] without the DB , I went on my first 150 mile run on Saturday....the sound is stunning without DB...however I do believe you will need to wear ear protectors for prolonged mileage. around town is fine you are not on it long enough to worry, but boy my ears were ringing after that run on Saturday.

FrostHazer

I just put an akra carbon, formerly i had put a DNA filter on.My mechanic said that there is no need for PC or any change..I havent tried to red line yet and test it but maybe has a little more power up high and a little less down low,but again I say that with much reservation...I currently have the dbkiller out..im gonna test it like this for a week and than put it on to see what's better powerwise and soundwise...

Lillski

i have heard that the amount of ph u gain from the power commander, exhaust and air filter is not worth the money and if u change exhaust and put on a powercommanber u also have to increase the airflow. and when i spoke to my yamaha dealer about powercommnander exhaust etc, they told me that aftermarket exhaust is ok as long as u dont drive without the db-killer. (warrantywise its NOT okey) if u want to use an exhaust without the db-killer u have to install other software wich they could do for me / install a power commander, if u drive only with bg-killer out u can damage the engine. not sure if this is true since pretty much everyone with the titan system use it without db-killer, but im not taking chances.

and the carbon seems to be loud enough wiht db-killer on.

Sorry but that is not true!

I spoke to my Yamaha dealer who said it simply just makes it louder!

BTW - It sounds like a proper sports pipe without the DB killer but as per the other post - you will need earplugs!

Enjoy

JayHawk

if u drive only with bg-killer out u can damage the engine. not sure if this is true since pretty much everyone with the titan system use it without db-killer, but im not taking chances. .
That's completely incorrect, a DB killer is simply there to increase back pressure which reduces the sound (it foces the gas to stay inside the exhaust, expelling energy in specifically designed expansion areas). You can't damage an engine by letting exhaust gases flow freely. It may have an affect on the torque and horsepower (as do varying exhaust bore sizes and lengths) but it certainly will not damage the engine.

Lillski

That's completely incorrect, a DB killer is simply there to increase back pressure which reduces the sound (it foces the gas to stay inside the exhaust, expelling energy in specifically designed expansion areas). You can't damage an engine by letting exhaust gases flow freely. It may have an affect on the torque and horsepower (as do varying exhaust bore sizes and lengths) but it certainly will not damage the engine.

Agree

So with the db killer out I wonder what impact this has on the power?

I run with mine out and I can't really tell any difference but then if you lost/gained a couple or bhp/torque's it would be difficult to feel anyway?