I just bought a brand new 2016 mt-07!!!

William

:D I put a deposit yesterday on a MT-07 2016 Matte Silver. I'm picking her up on Tuesday. I traded in my 2007 Kawasaki ER6F. It took me many months to decide to keep the ER6F or go for the MT-07?
The ER6F was a great bike, the best I've ever had! But it's almost 10 years old now.

I've never ridden the MT-07 so I have no idea about the ride? Demo rides here in Canada are rarely offered. I'd love to hear some comments about the transition. Thank you.

grillphil

I downgraded from a KTM 990SMT as it was a little too top heavy for me and find that my MT-07 is soooo much better. It's got the grunt plus it is a dream around the twisties. I'm still getting used to it as I've only had it for 4 weeks so I'll see if anything surprises me.

Enjoy once you've collected it tomorrow:cool:

Simoncrp

My only concern was freeway running, but I don't think it will be a problem. I had a 1977 Yamaha RD 400, and it was fine on the freeway.
You might want to think about getting a screen then. Above 70mph, it starts to feel uncomfortable and above 80 you really have to hold on tight!

William

You might want to think about getting a screen then. Above 70mph, it starts to feel uncomfortable and above 80 you really have to hold on tight!
I found on my Kawasaki ER6F there were pros and cons with the fairing. Without exaggeration, one day I was going about 80 kilometers per hour, and suddenly a wicked crosswind hit the side of the fairing, and I almost lost control and went down. But on a day with little wind the fairing shines
on the freeway. I picked up the MT-07 today, Matte Silver. How long does it take the new engine to loosen up? I've only gone about 40 kilometers, and I think it's quite the little street fighter! I noticed on my way home from the dealer that when there was little wind the MT-07 was find on
higher freeway speeds. It's when the wind picked I had problems. I suppose everybody has their view of it.

grillphil

Great that you have the bike now. Try not to exceed 7000rpm until the first service at 600 miles. After the first service, they should but the correct engine oil in as the initial fill is basically to flush the new engine out.

You can progress after that point without any ill effects, within reason. Not thrashing the pants off it in the 'red-line' for long periods.

Generally modern engines need very little running in. Not like the old days. It's probably been bench run anyway to see if all is ok and nothing breaks!

Mine has only 1700 miles on the clock & had two oil changes and I ride as normal (well I try to)

Enjoy & clock some miles up mate:cool:

Eddieh93

In regards to running in period the dealer recommends taking it easy for the 1st 600 miles, I didn't. I was blasting around straight away and I haven't felt any poor effects of not running it in "properly". In my opinion its how you like to do it I have a few friends that have brought new bikes and done the run in period differently and they have never had any issues and knowing them as I do i doubt they took it easy for the recommended 600 miles.

However I think maybe just running it at a constant high RPM could do some damage so I would probably not do that.

Enjoy the bike.

William

Great that you have the bike now. Try not to exceed 7000rpm until the first service at 600 miles. After the first service, they should but the correct engine oil in as the initial fill is basically to flush the new engine out.

You can progress after that point without any ill effects, within reason. Not thrashing the pants off it in the 'red-line' for long periods.

Generally modern engines need very little running in. Not like the old days. It's probably been bench run anyway to see if all is ok and nothing breaks!

Mine has only 1700 miles on the clock & had two oil changes and I ride as normal (well I try to)

Enjoy & clock some miles up mate:cool:
So the engine will loose up at the first service with proper oil? Thank you. Here is a photo of the bike I took last night. When I got home, I spent about 1 hour cleaning and waxing the bike with carnauba wax. I wax pretty well everywhere except brake rotors and tires of course. I even waxed seat LOL.100_0879.jpg

Last edited:

William

Is the windscreen mainly for looks, or is there really any function to them? What would be a good quality brand, but I don't like those tall ones. It takes away the aesthetics and beauty of the bike. Thank you.

robodene

I have just noticed that Yamaha have now blackened the vertical frame cover under the seat on some model colours (not matt grey - mine).

grillphil

Do you mean this part?

Frame Cover.jpg

If so, get them powder coated. They'll look much better.

Note: The plastic bungs at the bottom are clipped in AND held with double sided pads. If you remover them, take the whole plate off first and release the two little tabs on the back of the cap and gently push out otherwise you will damage them if you try and prise them out.

When they are refitted (without the double sided pads, these caps rattle around) Seems like a design error to me:confused:

robodene

Yep, thats they jobbies. I think I'leave well alone. Quite like the silver but the black is even better, must admit.

sdrio

So the engine will loose up at the first service with proper oil? Thank you.
It takes about 2-3,000 miles to really loosen up. The first service won't make much difference, they just change the oil and filter to make sure any stray bits of metal from new castings etc are removed.

As far as breaking in goes, there are opposing opinions, some say you should spank the engine hard as soon as you get it, to bed in the piston rings, change the oil and that's job done. The manufacturers always seem to recommend taking it easy for 500 - 1,000 miles. I go with the manufacturers, I assume they know their stuff.

Running in is probably obsolete nowadays. It used to be necessary as manufacturing techniques weren't particularly good. Nowdays components are so accurately manufactured, they're probably not going to need a lot of babying anyway.

robodene

I have recently been using a wider spread of revs - low and high. Today during a ride, it seemed to me that the engine had finally loosened up now. It has done 5,700 miles.