How To... Exhaust System Removal (with pictures)

cosmikdebriis

First part of my how to remove the original and then fit an Arrow Exhaust system. As I can only post four pictures at a time I will have to do this in two parts. (Bit annoying).

This part concentrates on the fairly simple task of removing the exhaust.

You will need...

10mm Socket. 12mm Socket. Extension bar(s) (Preferably a "wobble" bar). 6mm Allen Key. Lump Hammer & Crow Bar. (No... not really the last two). DON'T use cheap, ill fitting tools.

In order to get better pictures I did this outside on the floor. It would be MUCH easier on a bench.

General overview...

The exhaust is a one piece system, held on at the front with four 8mm nuts in a "standard" way. The back (silencer) is held on with two rubber mounted brackets attached to the frame by four 6mm bolts (two each side). There is also a screw in Lambda Sensor approx half way along the system.

The exhaust is fairly heavy so you may want to support it (with a jack or similar) whilst being removed. (I didn't and it didn't cause me any problems).

I would strongly advise covering bits the frame that you may scratch whilst removing the exhaust system. Use bits of cloth, tape, plastic bags etc

The Disclaimer...

The following is just a guide and is the method I chose. Other methods may be better. I will not accept any responsibility for any damage caused to you, your bike, your mate or anyone or anything that may get damaged. Do this entirely at your own risk and please consider any implications this may have on any warranty or insurance(s) If in doubt... Don't do it at all.

The How to in pictures...

Picture 1...
Look under the radiator. Loosen but do not entirely remove the four 8mm nuts that hold the two exhaust flanges in place. (Use 12mm socket, wobble bar, extension).

Picture 2...
Loosen but do not remove the Lambda Sensor. Un clip the Lambda Sensor lead from the two retaining clips then undo it half a turn ( Use 17mm open ended spanner) Do not just unscrew the sensor or you may well damage the lead.
Note:I couldn't easily find the connector in the Lambda sensor lead so I just loosened it half a turn and then wound it out later by rotating the exhaust.

Picture 3a...
In order to gain access to the silencer mountings I found it easiest to remove the mounting plates for the brake pedal and the gear change pedal. You don't need to completely remove either, just undo the mounting allen bolts and fold/drop them out of the way.
Note: the heel guard on the brake side is sharp and may well scratch the frame so use something to protect it. (I found out the hard way). I tied the Brake side out of the way but the gear side will drop out of the way. No need to disconnect any cables or linkages. (Use 6mm Allen Key)

Picture 3b...

Continued below...

Last edited:

cosmikdebriis

Part 2...

Picture... 3c...
Showing brake pedal bracket tied out of way and improvised frame protection (plastic bag).

Picture 4...
The silencer is held on with two rubber mounting brackets (B) that bolt to the frame with two (per side) 6mm bolts(C). You do not need to remove the brackets from the silencer( 8mm Bolt A) to remove the exhaust so simply undo the 6mm bolts (C) (10mm socket with extension (wobble bar).
Do the same for both sides.

The exhaust is now ready to drop. remove all remaining nuts (at the front flanges) and drop the system. Note: It is still attached at the Lambda Sensor. Rotate the exhaust to unscrew the sensor. (a bit fiddly) Or find the connector and disconnect the lead.
Note: Be careful not to loose the two circular gaskets at the exhaust mounting flanges (they may fall out).

Picture 5...
Exhaust system removed and showing rubber mounted brackets (left in place)

Job done.

please feel free to add any constructive criticism.

Next...

Fitting the Arrow System ("Shortie" style).

Livestrong

Thank you for this info! Can't wait to see the how to for fitting the Arrow exhaust!
How much mm is the difference between the original hole and the mounting hole for the Arrow in short version?

Kaff

You just made my life so much easier, thanks for this post! MIVV oval carbon installed in less than 2h.

valvestem

Picture... 3c...
Showing brake pedal bracket tied out of way and improvised frame protection (plastic bag).

Picture 4...
The silencer is held on with two rubber mounting brackets (B) that bolt to the frame with two (per side) 6mm bolts(C). You do not need to remove the brackets from the silencer( 8mm Bolt A) to remove the exhaust so simply undo the 6mm bolts (C) (10mm socket with extension (wobble bar).
Do the same for both sides.

The exhaust is now ready to drop. remove all remaining nuts (at the front flanges) and drop the system. Note: It is still attached at the Lambda Sensor. Rotate the exhaust to unscrew the sensor. (a bit fiddly) Or find the connector and disconnect the lead.
Note: Be careful not to loose the two circular gaskets at the exhaust mounting flanges (they may fall out).

Picture 5...
Exhaust system removed and showing rubber mounted brackets (left in place)

Job done.

please feel free to add any constructive criticism.

Next...

Fitting the Arrow System ("Shortie" style).
Thank You
valvestem