How often do you lube up!?

Donut

Sort of depends on how much riding I've done and what the weather/roads are like.

Little and often is best and try to do it after a run when the chain is warm to let it seep in to the rollers etc and set before the next run to avoid flinging off.

DJP

I give mine a squirt of PJ1 Blue Label about every 300 miles or so.

Although, tbh, I base it more on how the chain looks than anything. If it still looks "Shiny" with lube I leave it until the next week.

Last edited:

sdrio

I do it when I wash it, usually once a week, sometimes I skip a week.

Also if I've been out in heavy rain, or if it's making any noise.

I keep mine in a garage, and have a paddock stand so it's a 2 minute job.

Hammerian

@ srdio,

Do you completely wash off the existing or just add additional lube to the chain every so often?

Also which type do you use are there any that's better than others.

Regards

ham

sdrio

@ srdio,

Do you completely wash off the existing or just add additional lube to the chain every so often?

Also which type do you use are there any that's better than others.

Regards

ham
Depends how dirty it is. Sometimes I'll just give it a quick squirt.

If it's particularly manky and I'm washing the bike anyway, I clean it up. I use a chain cleaner (Halfords / bike shops etc will have it), rinse off, let it dry then lube it.

There are a few types of lube, oil, wax or teflon. I've never tried wax, but I hate the teflon one (also described as 'ptfe'). It just doesn't feel like the chain is properly lubed to me - it still makes a noise.

I use an oil based one - my favourite is Rock Oil. Spray it all over the chain, and give it 5 minutes for the aerosol propellant to evaporate before riding, or it just flings off all over the back wheel.