How do you normally buy your insurance?

sdrio

Mine is due for renewal on Wednesday, and as usual the old company send me a ridiculously inflated renewal price.

Last year I paid just under £200, comprehensive, with a £250 excess. I got the renewal notice on Friday, which was £352, with (wait for it) an £800 excess.

A quick visit to the Meercats, and I got it for £153, with £250 excess. Less than half.

This is how it always happens. All my insurance for the last 8 years (1 car and 2 bikes) has been done via the web, but the insurers always try to hump me when it's time to renew, and I have never taken a renewal price.

Is this because some people are just too lazy to do this? It takes 5 minutes, and it's always much cheaper.

Now, the downside is that the online policies are quite basic, and god forbid you ever need to change even the smallest detail, because they'll sting you for it. But seriously, am I doing something wrong here?

Ralph

I'm with Carol Nash about £175 fully comp inc recovery for 2 bikes but they have
at times tried to hike the price, I just tell them I am going to go else ware and they
usually beat the new quote recently they have stopped trying it on. I am out in the sticks
so insurance is generally cheaper.

Last edited:

sdrio

I'm with Carol Nash about £175 fully comp inc recovery for 2 bikes but they have
at times tried to hike the price, I just tell them I am going to go else ware and they
usually beat the new quote recently they have stopped trying it on. I am out in the sticks
so insurance is generally cheaper.
I keep trying to get mine on one policy, but nobody seems keen to do it.

I'm done till Feb now, might try it then.

Eddieh93

I was paying £1700 for the year, but Luton is a town where all youngsters are considered rudeboys who do a lot of racing. I had a renewal at the end of Feb which was £2,300 gone up by £600!!!! Luckily I had just moved into my 1st home and with the postcode change and I have a garage, it has brought it down to £795 which I though was good for me having a theft and a car crash (fault).

055.jpg

I rung them up and they said that that was the highest rise they had seen for a long time!
being young on insurance is shit!

My friend has insured his car and bike on one policy and he said it is a good price and good company. The company he is using is........

Torque

Mine is due for renewal on Wednesday, and as usual the old company send me a ridiculously inflated renewal price.

Last year I paid just under £200, comprehensive, with a £250 excess. I got the renewal notice on Friday, which was £352, with (wait for it) an £800 excess.

A quick visit to the Meercats, and I got it for £153, with £250 excess. Less than half.

This is how it always happens. All my insurance for the last 8 years (1 car and 2 bikes) has been done via the web, but the insurers always try to hump me when it's time to renew, and I have never taken a renewal price.

Is this because some people are just too lazy to do this? It takes 5 minutes, and it's always much cheaper.

Now, the downside is that the online policies are quite basic, and god forbid you ever need to change even the smallest detail, because they'll sting you for it. But seriously, am I doing something wrong here?
IMO no nothing wrong with what you are doing. Exactly the same happens to me, and like you I shop around on the interweb come renewal time. It's exactly as you say, the insurance companies make their money on a portion of over-inflated premiums and admin charges. If some poor sucker has this notion of brand loyalty by sticking with the same insurance company for many years then they will unfortunately milk that person for as much as they can. Contrast this with the image that they try to convey in TV adverts where they are trying to sell a lifestyle and a commitment that they care!

plima306

Well at least i usually don't have that kind of problem in Portugal if you stick with the same company usually you get a discont bonus for loyalty or for years without incidents and maturity of licence. But if you drop a ensurence in a period of highly crash rate you'll regreat it.

Enviado do meu SM-G920F através de Tapatalk

xt660isgood2

Last year. Carole Nash was £131 fully comp 2x bikes. This year renewal was £170. Beat them down to £156. Won't go back next year coz they are taking the Michael.
On a side note. Car Ins just recently in and they were even worse. Only way to cancel (coming out on 1 hit on card) was either ring mega premium tel number or use good old royal mail.
Done the latter. All Tw$ts, you can buy online with a few clicks, but they make it so tricky come cancel. Lets face it, if you do have a accident they will do anything not to pay out, so might as well
go with the cheapest arse because you will have grief either way?