Heated Grips

Alex_AC

Hi!

I'm planning to buy the r&g heated grips (they seem to be really good and the price is excellent!). The thing is I don't have any idea about how to plug them to the battery. I've seen some tutorials installing them into other bikes, but none to the MT-07. Some people say that the optimal wiring would be to attach the cables to something that only gets power when the bike's on but I don't really know how to do that :(

Have any of you installed heated grips? If so, could you give some advice?

Thanks a lot guys!

tw586

aux pwr plug on the LHS air cowl below the tank, refer to the owners manual (although it depends on current draw) run a relay from main battery and have it switched by aux pwr.

Stil

I got the Oxfrod Premium Sport . Really easy to install, although you probably do have to go down the route of removing one side of fairings to thread the cables through.
The battery is under the seat so you want to follow the rest of the cables from the handle bars under the tank and then link them to the battery. These grips also detect when left on and turn themselves off which is a god send.

Probably the hardest part is removing the original grips, I ended up carefully cutting mine with a stanley knife to remove them.

sdrio

Definitely do it via a circuit that is only on when the ignition is on.

I don't know about the R&G ones, but the Oxford ones say they have 'low voltage' sensors and automatically switch off. That may be so, but by the time they do it, that battery is flat as a pancake, and you won't be able to start the bike. You'll definitely forget to switch them off eventually . . .

I have a simple pair of Oxfords on my MT07, they're the ones for 'mopeds', but i prefer them as they have a mechanical switch, not the electronic one, which is notorious for breaking and costs 40 quid to replace.

I wired mine into the rear light circuit. The grips are only about 2 amps, and don't cause any problems at all. I didn't bother with a relay.

This is the 3rd set I have used - I have the same ones on my scooter, and had them on my old MT03. They always work, and I have never blown a fuse.

Alex_AC

Definitely do it via a circuit that is only on when the ignition is on.

I don't know about the R&G ones, but the Oxford ones say they have 'low voltage' sensors and automatically switch off. That may be so, but by the time they do it, that battery is flat as a pancake, and you won't be able to start the bike. You'll definitely forget to switch them off eventually . . .

I have a simple pair of Oxfords on my MT07, they're the ones for 'mopeds', but i prefer them as they have a mechanical switch, not the electronic one, which is notorious for breaking and costs 40 quid to replace.

I wired mine into the rear light circuit. The grips are only about 2 amps, and don't cause any problems at all. I didn't bother with a relay.

This is the 3rd set I have used - I have the same ones on my scooter, and had them on my old MT03. They always work, and I have never blown a fuse.
That seems a great option! (wiring them to the rear light). I have changed my light with a LED one, may I have any problem due to this?

Thanks a lot for your quick answers! ;)

sdrio

That seems a great option! (wiring them to the rear light). I have changed my light with a LED one, may I have any problem due to this?

Thanks a lot for your quick answers! ;)
So long as you take the live off the 12v wire going into the light, shouldn't be a problem.

Having said that, if there is an aux somewhere, that would be just as good - I stripped back the insulation on mine, and soldered onto it, which is a sort of surgical alternative.

Alex_AC

So long as you take the live off the 12v wire going into the light, shouldn't be a problem.

Having said that, if there is an aux somewhere, that would be just as good - I stripped back the insulation on mine, and soldered onto it, which is a sort of surgical alternative.

So just to be sure I have made this awful scheme:

diagram.jpg

Is there any error in the scheme? Thanks for your patience!!

sdrio

Looks OK to me - but you can slightly simplify it if you want.

You only need to splice into the live side of the light circuit, the negative on the grips can go directly to the negative battery terminal (or in fact just about anywhere on the frame, as the negative terminal on the battery just goes to the frame anyway).

Just avoid connecting anywhere 'upstream' of whatever you replaced the standard back light with - I have no idea what gadgetry is used for the LED light, but if it's not standard 12v, connecting to it could be unpredictable.

Mine is spliced in well before it gets to the light itself, but mines standard anyway.

If you want to be super careful, I can whip the seat / panel off later in the week and take a photo / tell you which wire/colour I used. Prob not till Saturday though.

I

Alex_AC

Looks OK to me - but you can slightly simplify it if you want.

You only need to splice into the live side of the light circuit, the negative on the grips can go directly to the negative battery terminal (or in fact just about anywhere on the frame, as the negative terminal on the battery just goes to the frame anyway).

Just avoid connecting anywhere 'upstream' of whatever you replaced the standard back light with - I have no idea what gadgetry is used for the LED light, but if it's not standard 12v, connecting to it could be unpredictable.

Mine is spliced in well before it gets to the light itself, but mines standard anyway.

If you want to be super careful, I can whip the seat / panel off later in the week and take a photo / tell you which wire/colour I used. Prob not till Saturday though.

I
That would be great! Thanks! ;)