Heated grips

Apexs

has anyone installed heated grips?

what make did you get? how do they feel? easy to install?

iv got some R&G ones but haven't put them on yet, wondering what the yamaha ones are like

Last edited:

craigieboy

I have oxford grips, wouldn't be without them on a bike now.

Happy with how they feel compared to standard grips. Heat wise they get HOT !!! Thankfully there is different heat settings.

I always forget to turn them off but the oxfords have a little device that kills the power to them when it senses the bike has been turned off.

Very happy with them.

wirld

Oxford

Oxfords for me too - as craigie said they get hot! I also wouldn't be without them now. I got the sport version which would have been the right length if I didn't have handguards installed.

Reasonably easy to install - routing the cables was the biggest headache, all told took about 90 minutes - I've no doubt someone with more aptitude could have done it in half that time.
I did end up slicing off the original grips though which was a pity.

spencer

Oxford all the was mate there the best thing i have ever brought for a bike there worth every penny.

sdrio

I have Oxford ones. They're very good, although the backs of your hands will still get cold (applies to all hotgrips, of course).

I had the full set on my old bike, but the controller broke. This time I bought the scooter ones. They have a simpler high-off-low switch, but work fine as far as I'm concerned. They're half the price of the 'big' ones too. The high setting is a bit too hot for long distance, but it's good to give it a 10 minute blast on really cold days.

Have them on my MT07, and my scooter. Wouldn't be without them.

sdrio

I have oxford grips, wouldn't be without them on a bike now.

Happy with how they feel compared to standard grips. Heat wise they get HOT !!! Thankfully there is different heat settings.

I always forget to turn them off but the oxfords have a little device that kills the power to them when it senses the bike has been turned off.

Very happy with them.
Unless they've changed the design, the autoshutoff on Oxford grips is not going to help you if you leave them on.

It's designed to prevent damaging the battery by completely discharging it, but the low voltage sensor only kicks in well after the battery is too flat to start the bike.

Best way to install is to use a circuit that's only live when the ignition is on (I always use the back light power). Ideally you should use a relay, but the grips are only about 4 amps so you can get away without one (I have never used a relay, and have never blown a fuse).

Noggie

I have the oxford ones too, the latest Sport kit.
Took me an hour or two to install, very easy.
Never had battery drain issues, and I have forgotten them on more than once

I like them a lot, like it was mentioned above the back of your hand gets cold, also my thumb tend to get a bit cold even with the heaters on, I ride with thin gloves though. helps to change the grip, my thumb tends to poke downwards when I ride so not much of it is in contact with the actual grip.

I use mine on mild days too, especially on long trips, just set them to 30-40% and that keeps my hands comfy.

sdrio

I have the oxford ones too, the latest Sport kit.
Took me an hour or two to install, very easy.
Never had battery drain issues, and I have forgotten them on more than once

I like them a lot, like it was mentioned above the back of your hand gets cold, also my thumb tend to get a bit cold even with the heaters on, I ride with thin gloves though. helps to change the grip, my thumb tends to poke downwards when I ride so not much of it is in contact with the actual grip.

I use mine on mild days too, especially on long trips, just set them to 30-40% and that keeps my hands comfy.
Should add, although bordering on sacrilege, I have handlebar mufflers on my MT07, which solves a fair bit of the cold back of hands problem. Looks like ass, of course.

Noggie

Should add, although bordering on sacrilege, I have handlebar mufflers on my MT07, which solves a fair bit of the cold back of hands problem. Looks like ass, of course.
I have a car :) I use that in the cold months and when its wet. The MT is just for joyrides :)
Still got heated grips because those pesky tunnels get really cold.

any reason you guys didn't get the yamaha ones? was it just the price?
Usually the Oxford ones are on the shelf, the yamaha ones has to be ordered, and I heard they take ages to arrive. Price could also a factor I guess, but I did not even know Yamaha had them.
I just searched online and went and bought the Oxford ones and they were on the bike the same afternoon.

craigieboy

Not sure, you may be right @sdrio but ive left them turned on on multiple occasions over the past year and never had any issues. If i leave them on when swithing the bike off after about 30 seconds to 1 min the little green light starts flashing and the grips start to cool down so i thought it was switching them off. Your obviosly more clued up than me im just speaking from my experience with the grips.

Last edited:

sdrio

Not sure you may be right @sdrio but ive left them turned on on multiple occasions over the past year and never had any issues. If i leave them on when swithing the bike off after about 30 seconds to 1 min the little green light starts flashing and the grips start to cool down so i thought it was switching them off. Your obviosly more clued up than me im just speaking from my experience with the grips.
They might have changed them, I test fitted a pair direct to the battery about 5 years ago on my MT03, forgot to turn them off and the battery was utterly dead the next morning. I read that the autocutoff happened at a relatively low voltage, and a lot of other people had the same experience.

If they've sorted that, it's a good thing, but I always wire to a switched circuit now, so it's not an issue.

TJ63

I never knew it was an option when I bought mine. I went for Daytona heated grips.

If you do a search there's more information on heated grips in at least 2 previous threads.

Igor

The new premium oxford grips auto shut off by two methods. One is low voltage on the battery but also by sensing "noise" on the dc supply.

Whrn the bike is running the dc voltage has a ripple in it due to all the electrics running on the bike, when that ripple or noise is not present then they switch off automatically.

Mind you i wired mine through a relay anyway just in case!

Igor

Depends on the gloves you use. I read that the grips are designed to be used with winter gloves so they do get very hot at 100% setting.

Apexs

yeah without them on i meant, %40-50 is enough so far, one thing though, the right one seems to get warmer