Heated gloves or heated grips or hand guards or a mix of all three?

Whiskeybravo

Was wondering what people prefer for protecting your hands from the cold? Heated grips seem like a good idea but I can imagine the exposed back of your hands can get cold, would hand guards help with this? Would heated gloves provide better all over warmth for your hands and negate the need for heated grips and/or hand guards?

And what products would you recommend for the above items?

Thanks in advance for any answers and sorry for all the questions but I collect by nice new MT07 in a couple of weeks and I'm looking to start buying the extras to make the daily commute in the autumn as comfortable as possible.

Regards,

WB.

Ralph

Heated gloves are the best for keeping warm but you have to put up with all the plugging in and out and you will forget you are tethered to
the bike now and then, best I have found are heated grips with hand protectors though in winter I also use claw gloves the ones were two
fingers are together surprising how much they help.

bypasser

After commuting through winter for years with just gloves I've finally had Oxford Hotgrips installed on the bike. It's been great in that I can now ride for more of the year without gloves (yes, for those protection fanatics, I often ride without gloves) and arrive at my destination with reasonably warm hands. This would be improved by use of lighter than winter season gloves.

Problems I've found so far are that that the Oxford's have a "spiky" grip pattern that can irritate my hands at times especially when they are hot (might be my embarrassingly soft hands) not an issue if wearing gloves. Also they take a few minutes to build up heat so if you are on the road quick then you'll ride for a little while with very cold hands, this gets sorted as soon as they're warmed up. Warmth is also affected by taking your hand off the grip, so there is an issue I notice where the left grip/hand is colder than the right due to clutch use. As you've suggested the backs of your hands are affected by the cold wind exposure however I find this negligible as setting the heat high does a nice job of keeping the hole hand warm, I imagine that adding hand guards might go a long way to negate this effect and something I've considered but not yet acted on.

In the positive side it's very convenient, they are there whenever you need them and completely out of the way except the controls. Don't hide the controls as it is great to be able to quickly adjust heat while riding. I find hitting highest heat was enough to see me to work without gloves on a 7°C day (8 mile through London, to speed 40ish), even need to turn them down near end of ride. I'm very happy with them and imagine I'll keep them on all bikes in the future

I imagine that heated gloves might offer best performance but I couldn't be arsed with a separate piece of equipment to charge or plug in.

Hope that was helpful

TJ63

I use a set of Daytona heated grips, which have a pre-heat function and four heat settings. They also have a nice neat controller which is about a quarter the size of the Oxford one. There's pictures on here somewhere.

In the cold weather I add on Acerbis X-Tarmac hand guards, which I bought from Dirtbike Express for £106.95

spencer

Oxford sport heated grips all the way mate and they get hot enough to still wear your summer gloves though winter,hate winter gloves cant feel anything.

shadowmonkey

My friend swears by the heated gloves as he commutes everyday so has gotten use to plugging himself in with a vest as well. Me on the other hand use heated grips and hand guards during winter and take the hand guards of during summer ish months. I also have a pair of the camel toe gloves but don't really get on with them very well. The hand guards I got we're off eBay from China, so cheap as well, also they came with added lights within the guard, easier for you to be spotted ? Maybe! I suppose it depends on how butch or bitch you are, my friend is an office worker so gets cold easily. What B do you think he is ? LOL. [emoji12]

sdrio

I use Oxford heated grips, and handlebar mufflers in the winter. It's not the most stylish looking combination, but keeps everything dry and warm.

I actually have the 'scooter' set of grips, as it has a simple 3 position switch instead of the notoriously fragile electronic control box. It has low. and high settings. It also costs half as much, which is a bonus.

Heated gloves - have heard good things about the plug in ones, although I'd definitely look at mufflers, getting them wet regularly can't do much for their longevity. Have never used them so can't say more than that.

The ones with battery packs - far as i can see they're rubbish. I tried some, they produce a feeble heat on the palm, and nothing on the back of the hand, so you'd be no better off than with heated grips.

I Think the answer is, the less heat you lose, or the more you add (or both) the better you'll be.

robodene

Bit late, but I use a pair of garden heated gloves over my bike gloves. Uses 3 AAAs in each glove. Very successful, if just a little thick around the grips. I think two layers is very helpful.

Noggie

I just installed the Oxford heated sport grips today.
These things get seriously hot, I had trouble holding on at 100% with my bare hands it was just uncomfortably hot.

I'm not too happy with the install.
The handles came on alright.

The left one, I had to have with the cable mounted on the underside pointing aft to clear the clutch and access the left switchgear.
Wires are barely touching the tank at full steering lock.

The right one had to be mounted on top pointing forward to clear the brake during throttle movement.
Looks ok, but would have liked them to look the same on both sides.

The control panel. well, not too happy with this, the attached bracket does not fit on the right side, and on the left side, where there is only one screw it can't be installed straight.
I'm not happy with this, so I will either get a new mount, or modify the existing bracket.

spencer

I just installed the Oxford heated sport grips today.
These things get seriously hot, I had trouble holding on at 100% with my bare hands it was just uncomfortably hot.

I'm not too happy with the install.
The handles came on alright.

The left one, I had to have with the cable mounted on the underside pointing aft to clear the clutch and access the left switchgear.
Wires are barely touching the tank at full steering lock.

The right one had to be mounted on top pointing forward to clear the brake during throttle movement.
Looks ok, but would have liked them to look the same on both sides.

The control panel. well, not too happy with this, the attached bracket does not fit on the right side, and on the left side, where there is only one screw it can't be installed straight.
I'm not happy with this, so I will either get a new mount, or modify the existing bracket.
I mounted the control just above the clocks using the handlebar clamp bolt just at to make the hole bigger on the control bracket
20150818_183813.jpg

D

Deleted member 20

Same bracket, just wrapped the shiny metal with black 3M foil. Possibly did bend it the other way for right hand side mount. Dont remember, was one year ago.

Noggie

Same bracket, just wrapped the shiny metal with black 3M foil. Possibly did bend it the other way for right hand side mount. Dont remember, was one year ago.
I wanted to mount it like you did, but it did not fit well on that side, also I did not want to bend too much on it in case it broke.
I might try to bend it and straighten the bracket but keep it on the left side, just get a straight mount up against the mirror mount.
That way I can control it with my left hand without letting go of the throttle.