Gps

CVSensei

I'm sure there's all sorts of recommendations to be found in the deep, dark depths of the forum but I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good GPS that's not going to bankrupt me and can be fitted by a complete novice.

addy

It really depends what budget you have. Cheapest option if you have a smart phone is yo use the in built gps and wire in a usb port to charge your phone. This is a secure mount you could use along with the bar u mount or mirror mount. X-GRIP PHONE HOLDER MEDIUM: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Dedicated motorcycle gps seem to be around the £280-300 mark and I cant comment about TomTom but my Garmin zumo 390 was really easy to wire in plus it comes with a ram mount in the box.

Ralph

I use this a Garmin Nuvi 52 £70 from Argos bike mount was £5 on Evil Bay lifetime map update
5 inch touch screen that works with gloves it does not have all the bells n whistles some have but
is cheap enough to lose if things go wrong, only thing I would like is to be able to set more than one
way point but it does not bother me that much.

CVSensei

That sounds ideal Ralph, I presume it's waterproof? Is it relatively simple to hook up for someone with minimal technical expertise? I'd be happy to invest in something swanky later on but at the moment I just want something that will get me from A to B.

CVSensei

I was originally thinking about going down the smartphone route but I don't have a great deal of data on my contract so i'd rather not have to pay out fortunes using google maps :p

Ralph

I doubt it being water proof but it does not get wet on my bike due to the screen and
slipping a plastic bag over it would keep it dry if needed, mine is wired through the cheep'o
box in the top pic over the speed'o it as 3 cig lighter and 2 usb connections that box is wired to the
accessory plug under the left side of the tank and so come on with the ignition.

Gee

If you insure through Bennetts they have an offer on at the moment where you can get the complete Tomtom Rider package for £199 (£299 rrp). EU lifetime maps/cameras, RAM mounts etc etc.

Last edited:

Gaulois

I doubt it being water proof but it does not get wet on my bike due to the screen and
slipping a plastic bag over it would keep it dry if needed, mine is wired through the cheep'o
box in the top pic over the speed'o it as 3 cig lighter and 2 usb connections that box is wired to the
accessory plug under the left side of the tank and so come on with the ignition.
That's the way to go. Don't bother with the more expensive motorcycle specific GPS, unless you do some serious adventure touring and need a GPS for off road as well.
The Garmin Nuvi serie, and I think the newest one is the Nuvi 55Lm (Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 55LM GPS Navigators System with Spoken Turn-By-Turn Directions, Preloaded Maps and Speed Limit Displays (Lower 49 U.S. States): GPS & Navigation) for about $117, will do the job great.

Crypto

I was originally thinking about going down the smartphone route but I don't have a great deal of data on my contract so i'd rather not have to pay out fortunes using google maps :p
No need to use google maps. Just use one of the many satnav apps that have offline maps. TomTom & Garmin both have apps for Android. My favourite is NAVIGON Europe

CVSensei

No need to use google maps. Just use one of the many satnav apps that have offline maps. TomTom & Garmin both have apps for Android. My favourite is NAVIGON Europe
I actually just discovered that :) Found a decent offline one which I'll try out first and then maybe invest in a standalone GPS when my wallet recovers from the Zard ;)

blueglue

If you insure through Bennetts they have an offer on at the moment where you can get the complete Tomtom Rider package for £199 (£299 rrp). EU lifetime maps/cameras, RAM mounts etc etc.
Ive just insured with these starting today. I didnt see anything about this offer. Do you have a link?

Donut

£199 from bennetts is a good deal, if the deal is there, but if you want the latest product there is a new tomtom rider coming out any time, link below, no pricing available yet though

TomTom - Motorcycle - Ride your way

Here's the link for the new Tom Tom Riders:

TomTom Rider

Tom Tom Rider 40 - £280
Tom Tom Rider 400 - £320
Tom Tom Rider 400 Premium Pack - available soon

These give you preset option for windy road and for hilly roads I believe for those that don't just want the fastest or shortest option and like to have a twisty/hilly route.

Gee

Ive just insured with these starting today. I didnt see anything about this offer. Do you have a link?
You need to sign up for the 'Bennets Exclusives' :)

https://love-rewards.com/bennetts/registration.shtml

£200 aint bad and i'm probably going to get one. Like mentioned, they are getting ready for the newer one but don't see much difference between them. This is the link to the unit.

TomTom Rider

You get a £100 off code when you sign up. Details are vague but ive spoken to them and its the full EU package with lifetime maps etc.

......oh, and check out the Free breakfast deal ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

I got myself a 6.1" 800x480 pix Garmin Nuvi 65LM for £100 and water-proofed it myself with a tube of silicone.
Works great on my TDM with gloves and in rain.
This basic model has an excellent screen and good navigation functions.
It's missing bluetooth but I don't care, I don't need spoken directions.
The top-of-the-line Zumo 390 and 590 models have smaller screens but do have the"curvy roads" feature, that I also can do without since I use my PC with Google Maps and free Garmin BaseCamp for all my routing of serious tours, then just USB-load to the 65LM.
View attachment 1694

Caution: The other budget Garmin 2689LMT with 6" and 800x480 pix and BlueTooth might look as an alternative, but it's glossy screen DOES NOT work with gloves, not even with most Stylus pens, and the screen goes crazy when wet. Avoid!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeadHead

Just a note guys the new Tomtom Rider 40 does NOT cover GB, for that you need to spend a bit more and get the 400

bypasser

If you are going to stick with using your phone I saw that Oxford have just released the 'aqua dryphone' waterproof mount for bikes. Only £20 so might be cheap solution.
No idea of quality or how easy it is to use as haven't seen any reviews but was thinking of getting one.

Crypto

If you are going to stick with using your phone I saw that Oxford have just released the 'aqua dryphone' waterproof mount for bikes. Only £20 so might be cheap solution.
No idea of quality or how easy it is to use as haven't seen any reviews but was thinking of getting one.
Do you work for Oxford? ;) You've double-posted about their new mount in this thread already