Front Tire Wear Out Quicker Than Rear one?

feman

Hi guys...recently I have one question that has been puzzling me for a while.
My bike is MT-07. I have been riding it since early last June and the odometer shows I almost hit 7000km/4349miles. I only ride my MT-07 during the weekends and 90% of the routes were mountain roads.
I consider myself an aggressive rider...no that fast as a professional track racer but I can always keep up with my buddy on a zx-6r and some other friends with r1 or other liter-level sports bikes.

I rarely checked my tires in the past as I know the stock tires (Bridgestone BT-203) wear out very slow. People always says BT-023 is touring grade which the rear tire can last as long as 12000km/7456miles and the front tire can even go farther.
But last week I happened to check the wearout with my tires and I found that I have hit the wear bar with the front. The wear mostly locates on the side so the central is still good for another 3000km I guess. The rear one still looks okay though.

It doesn't quite make sense to me as my experience told me front tire always lasts longer than the rear since the bike is rear-drive. And the life time of my front tire is way too short I think.
My friend said it's my riding style that caused the wear but I totally have no clues...

Any one has experience like this?? Please feel free to comment if you have any particular points. Thanks.

Here are some photos of my tires.

BT-023 front. The shoulder wore much more than the central.

front, wear indicator has gone...

The rear tire looks good though. Should be good for another 4000km I guess...

sash

Hey mate, looks pretty good to me! you use them properly :) just get a new set and keep having fun!

Ralph

Mine did exactly the same
though your rear looks better than mine did

Last edited:

bobh

My Fazer8 came with Bridgestones, and I had the same thing - front wore out on the shoulders (and the handling deteriorated as a result) before the rear was worn out.

I'm now running Conti Motions, which are much cheaper, last longer and in my opinion grip at least as well in normal road conditions.

Ralph

I to am now on Conti's Road attack evo 11's I think they are better than the Bridgestones that came with the bike for grip
but not been on long enough to know how they ware.

Rockardbiker

Worth checking your tyre pressures, I had similar but worse with a couple of my tyres. My mechanic said check the tyre pressures, so I did even though I had already been checking them as a matter of course. The pressures were correct. Some time later maybe a year or so I got a new pressure gauge only to find that my old gauge was over reading by nearly 10lbs. Never had that type of wear since.