Front Forks

jingsman

I have had my 07 for just over a month now,but I find the forks are a bit soft,so going to replace the fork oil with engine oil,this should stiffen them up a bit,what I need to know is the amount of oil the forks hold,anybody out there know the answer.
I used to do this to bikes I had in the past,never had any problems,it just works.
Thank for any answers,regards to everybody.

cosmikdebriis

At the risk of stating the seemingly obvious. Just collect what you drain and then replace with the same amount.

Not that I'd want to give advice on using engine oil, that's your affair. So if it works for you... Then why not?

P

Peter

There are different fork oils on the market. Why do u use engine oil? Have you already tried corn oil? Sunflower or olive oil?

jingsman

I dont want a fry up or a salad,just to stiffen up the forks,as as said done this before on other bikes,the reason I used engine oil is,available fork oil is not thick enough,have used Automatic Transmission Fluid,in the past,this works as well,after all it is a hydraulic system,same as a front fork,i only wanted to know,if anyone out there knew the capacity of the forks,that all.
I will keep this forum updated on the subject.
Regards
Thanks to all who replied.

jingsman

Well changed the Fork Oil for a straight 30 grade engine oil,it works,the oil change has really stiffened up the forks,making the steering much more responsive,this also compliments the back end,as I have the preload set quite high.
Try it Rotary,only fun to be got.

Last edited:

McCracken

I wonder if there is any downsides in :

Changing the stock fork oil for a thicker one ?

Using engine oil instead of specific fork oil ?

I know absolutly nothing about suspension, but i can imagine i would want to do something to improve the soft suspension on this model.

jingsman

Easy peasy,just support the front end,drain out the oil in there,then top up with the same amount of engine oil,I used a straight 30,but maybe a multi ggrade will do,wont hurt to try,if you dont like it,change it back.

Irksome

A front fork is basicly a hydraulic system,so oil wont hurt it ! Its just oil !
Well that is except for the additives in the engine oil that are going to eat away your fork seals!

There's some sensible discussion at Ever wonder about fork oil? - ADVrider but basically you'd be better of using a higher viscocity fork oil if you need to increase the damping - frankly I think the bike needs better springs and that fork oil is not the issue!

jingsman

Well thats up to you,however all oils seals are made of the same stuff !So they are not affected by oil !All I know is it works,in the real world,bet the garages and workshops just love people like you,dont know your arsehole from you elbow,or oils from oils,I done this years ago,no problem.Really its not the spring rate its the damping,thats the problem,but you go ahead and spend your cash,on useless stuff,why dont you just try it ?Or maybe better you just stick to the Salads.
Well that is except for the additives in the engine oil that are going to eat away your fork seals!

There's some sensible discussion at Ever wonder about fork oil? - ADVrider but basically you'd be better of using a higher viscocity fork oil if you need to increase the damping - frankly I think the bike needs better springs and that fork oil is not the issue!

P

Peter

You just watch away kiddo,met clowns like you before,the World is full of smart arses like you,cant even sort out cooking oil from the foody stuff,dont waste your time,I'm way ahead of you.
Are you OK? Why are you so aggressive? Is everybody clown who has different opinion?

Very nice to call me kiddo. But I'm 44 yo. I run two small businesses. One is a mechanical design company. Sometimes we design hydraulic systems. Well, I don't know anything about the topic. I've never heard about mineral parts stability, seal conditioners, anti-foam additives, the labelled weight vs. real viscosity. Oil is oil. I beg your pardon.

dazzor

It baffles me how anyone can get so vitriolic about oil, full stop.

jingsman; stick KY jelly in there mate, lets us know if adds a fun element to the suspension :)

sash

403 ml or if you want to measure by the air gap 162mm
probably worth trying to change the airgap a bit if you want to stiffen it up......
have fun!